Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

driveshaft lube question

Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
asdfjkl is on a distinguished road
asdfjkl's Tacoma Gallery
driveshaft lube question

I have a 2007 Reg. Cab 4X4 and have a quick question about lubricating the drive (propeller) shafts. This truck has the single rear drive shaft. The manual references using a moly fortified grease to lube the slide yokes. I can't find any zerk fittings on the slide yokes on this truck. Are the slide yokes "permanently" lubed on the 2007 Reg. Cab? The 4 universal joints all have zerks. I've been using Mystik JT-6 Hi-temp grease on the U-joints.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
pdxyota is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
pdxyota's Tacoma Gallery
Did anyone chime in? I use Mobil1 red synthetic on the whole shootin match.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe ? I have a DC an it has 2 shafts, a total of 5 zerks, I use what ever goes in the gun or is cheapest, because it gets greased every 3000-5000 miles, whether top self or standard, grease is grease, just have enough.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfjkl View Post
I have a 2007 Reg. Cab 4X4 and have a quick question about lubricating the drive (propeller) shafts. This truck has the single rear drive shaft. The manual references using a moly fortified grease to lube the slide yokes. I can't find any zerk fittings on the slide yokes on this truck. Are the slide yokes "permanently" lubed on the 2007 Reg. Cab? The 4 universal joints all have zerks. I've been using Mystik JT-6 Hi-temp grease on the U-joints.
Did you look at the END of the shaft? Sometimes the zerk is located at the end of the shaft inbetween the ears at the u-joint end. Just guessing....
Old 02-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
The slip yoke is permanently lubed. There are only grease fittings in the joints.

BTW, only 4wd's have grease fittings. The driveshaft on 2wds are sealed.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #6
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
The slip yoke is permanently lubed. There are only grease fittings in the joints.

BTW, only 4wd's have grease fittings. The driveshaft on 2wds are sealed.
Thanks PB, I was thinking this was another damned thing I had to do this weekend.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Yeah
willard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud ofwillard417 has much to be proud of
Name: Luke
willard417's Tacoma Gallery
how often does everyone grease. and where are all the fittings located? i've been taking it to the dealer for oil changes because my back doesn't do well in 6" of snow or -temp concrete
Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
Mod Master
pb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the roughpb2themax is a jewel in the rough

pb2themax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by willard417 View Post
how often does everyone grease. and where are all the fittings located? i've been taking it to the dealer for oil changes because my back doesn't do well in 6" of snow or -temp concrete
Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb2themax View Post
There are only grease fittings in the joints.
Every oil change is a good idea. Or at least twice a year.