Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Had an occasional hesitation from the tranny...

Old 03-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Had an occasional hesitation from the tranny...

So we called toyota and got the fluid to perform a transmission flush today. The trans fluid was black. 06 sport with 50100 miles. Now, when I accelerate, I get up to 6000 rpms and then BANG I drop into drive an slowly get moving and it stays in the high rpms. I was doing 3500 rpms at 35 mph and trying to keep a constant speed on a flat road. When I come to a stop, the rpms start at 750 and then they rise and it sounds like I'm in neutral then the truck lurches forward. This sucks.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know much about transmissions but you title of the thread brought me here. haha
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up!
hogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shedhogeyphenogey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
hogeyphenogey's Tacoma Gallery
Sooo..... Any ideas before condemning the transmission?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Black fluid isn't good.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
and make sure they added correct amount.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do the work yourself, or did the dealer do it?

If you did it, did you follow the procedure outlined here?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html

If not, these transmissions are picky about fluid level. If you didn't get it right, it will run poorly, and what you describe it sounds like the level is very low.
Also if they sold you T-IV and not WS, it will cause problems.

Do NOT continue to drive it until this is resolved. The slamming into gear will destroy the transmission.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
" Now, when I accelerate, I get up to 6000 rpms and then BANG I drop into drive ".

As stated by Rich it seems you have too low of fluid in the transmission. I would get it towed and have a professional look at it.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
Old Man
dwsyab is on a distinguished road

Name: David
dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
Sloppy Transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
" Now, when I accelerate, I get up to 6000 rpms and then BANG I drop into drive ".

As stated by Rich it seems you have too low of fluid in the transmission. I would get it towed and have a professional look at it.
My auto tranny has been acting a little sloppy when I come to a stop. A couple of seconds after I brake to a stop, there is a soft thunk and it feels like someone has bumped into my rear bumper. My truck only has 25 K miles on it, is this normal?
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #12
UTMOST is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
UTMOST's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsyab View Post
My auto tranny has been acting a little sloppy when I come to a stop. A couple of seconds after I brake to a stop, there is a soft thunk and it feels like someone has bumped into my rear bumper. My truck only has 25 K miles on it, is this normal?
I have this same problem!! what is it! I have a 2011 TX pro auto
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogeyphenogey View Post
So we called toyota and got the fluid to perform a transmission flush today. The trans fluid was black. 06 sport with 50100 miles. Now, when I accelerate, I get up to 6000 rpms and then BANG I drop into drive an slowly get moving and it stays in the high rpms. I was doing 3500 rpms at 35 mph and trying to keep a constant speed on a flat road. When I come to a stop, the rpms start at 750 and then they rise and it sounds like I'm in neutral then the truck lurches forward. This sucks.
Sounds like not enough fluid. How did you measure ? You can add 8 oz and see if it helps.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Common complaint, I feel it also. IMO it is the rear suspension and drive line settling after the braking.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07 sport 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
07 sport 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Common complaint, I feel it also. IMO it is the rear suspension and drive line settling after the braking.
Grease the slip yolk.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #16
tacomarandy is on a distinguished road
tacomarandy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have a 2013 that does that too! The first time it happened--I thought the car behind me tapped my rear bumper--
Old 03-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTMOST View Post
I have this same problem!! what is it! I have a 2011 TX pro auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarandy View Post
I have a 2013 that does that too! The first time it happened--I thought the car behind me tapped my rear bumper--
its axle wrap
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
its axle wrap
This.

And if you have lift blocks, it'll be worse.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
Old Man
dwsyab is on a distinguished road

Name: David
dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
Found a video on Axle Wrap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O503jIPFrUg
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
cheech1 is on a distinguished road
cheech1's Tacoma Gallery
OP, your problem does sound like improper fluid level, but if the fluid was black, that indicates a lot of abuse, especially if you only have 50k on it. Could be your tranny is toast.

For you thread jackers who mentioned the thunk after coming to a stop, yes it is axle wrap, or your A/C compressor cycling on & off.