Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need Help!!! Better for adding aftermarket locking diffs - TRD Sport or Off-Road?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
benjaminallen1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ben
benjaminallen1's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help!!! Better for adding aftermarket locking diffs - TRD Sport or Off-Road?

I need some in-depth technical advice!
I will be buying a 2nd gen Tacoma soon (likely 05-08) and want input on whether I should be looking for a TRD Sport or Off-Road, or if it really doesn't matter one bit considering my concerns below.
Based on my budget, the truck I buy will likely have around 100,000 miles on it and once in my possession will be used as both a daily commuter on the highway and my hunting truck (by hunting I mean it will be pushing through two feet of snow, not rock crawling). I want to have locking differentials in both the front and rear (I currently have an '01 Tacoma with front and rear lockers and they do phenomenal in deep snow which is what the lockers are needed for).

So here is my question:
*Would it be more advantageous to get a TRD Sport and put the full setup in at once, or to get the TRD Off-Road and just have to worry about adding the front diff locker? What are the advantages to both routes and if you were in my position, what type of setup would you want to put in your truck if it was being used for this purpose, taking into consideration the mileage of the truck when I buy it?*

Thanks!
Benjamin
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help!!! Better for adding aftermarket locking diffs - TRD Sport or Off-Road?-truck-bumper.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #2
MadMan is on a distinguished road

MadMan's Tacoma Gallery
Why not keep your 01, since it's already set-up the way you want?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
Why not keep your 01, since it's already set-up the way you want?
Because my '01 is a regular cab and I am in need of the extra seats of a double cab... thus I will be upgrading to a second gen dcsb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
The TRD Sport comes with a stronger rear differential so I would go wit that and add ARB lockers f/r
That is great to know... Exactly the type of advice I am looking for! Thanks!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
That works too, but the TRD sport has the hood skewp and nicer seats along with colormatched junk on the outside. If the OP is set on a TRD, I'd go with the sport for sure. But the SR5 has the same rear diff as the TRD sport
Word! That's good to hear, it's my plan.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
The scoop doesn't actually do anything... ie. no air enters through it... in case that wasn't known or even matters to you. Just want everyone to be fully informed!

The '05-'08 Sport TRD has a mechanical limited slip rear differential, which was discontinued in favor of all Tacomas getting TRAC/AUTO LSD (electronic/ brake created limited slip).
Old 03-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Get an SR5. Stronger rear diff than the offroad, quite a bit cheaper. The money you save buys your lockers and then some.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
nucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shednucktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
nucktaco's Tacoma Gallery
id vote trd sport. the SR5 seats are garbage.

keep in mind what a set of arbs are gona cost. i got quoted $5600 installed for front and rear arb's for my 08 DCLB Trd Sport.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Sport if you want to change the diffs
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucktaco View Post
id vote trd sport. the SR5 seats are garbage.

keep in mind what a set of arbs are gona cost. i got quoted $5600 installed for front and rear arb's for my 08 DCLB Trd Sport.
Just swap in some TRD seats.

5600 to ARB the front and rear is ludicrous.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
The scoop doesn't actually do anything... ie. no air enters through it... in case that wasn't known or even matters to you. Just want everyone to be fully informed!
The '05-'08 Sport TRD has a mechanical limited slip rear differential, which was discontinued in favor of all Tacomas getting TRAC/AUTO LSD (electronic/ brake created limited slip).
What is this mechanical limited slip in the TRD Sport all about? I wasn't aware of this in the '05-'08 sport model. So the ATRAC is only in the newer Tacomas then?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Twatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwatwaffles is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Twatwaffles's Tacoma Gallery
Best of both worlds (and easier on the wallet): get a switchable ARB locker for up front. If you daily drive it, you're better off with an LSD in the rear.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 PM   #14
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twatwaffles View Post
Best of both worlds (and easier on the wallet): get a switchable ARB locker for up front. If you daily drive it, you're better off with an LSD in the rear.
What do you mean switchable ARB, Do they make an always locked for our truck? How is LSD better than ARB locker for daily driving?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Just swap in some TRD seats.

5600 to ARB the front and rear is ludicrous.
That truly is a RIP! ECGS was almost half that, with 4:88 gears.

Trd seats are cozy.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminallen1 View Post
What is this mechanical limited slip in the TRD Sport all about? I wasn't aware of this in the '05-'08 sport model. So the ATRAC is only in the newer Tacomas then?
Mechanical LSD is exactly that....mechanical LSD that utilizes clutch paks in the differential.

2009+ Tacomas come with the AUTO LSD which utilizes the brakes. OPEN differential

If you buy a 2009+ TRD Offroad...You will get AUTO LSD and Locker.
If you buy a 2009+ TRD Sport ...you get Auto LSD
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
What do you mean switchable ARB, Do they make an always locked for our truck? How is LSD better than ARB locker for daily driving?
ARB Air lockers

http://store.arbusa.com/Air-Lockers-C7.aspx

ARB is a selectable locker. You can turn it on or off whenever you want it.

For the same reason you DO NOT want to drive in 4WD for daily driving is the same general reasons (and then some) for not using lockers while daily driving.

LSD is designed for daily driving. It IS NOT a fulltime locker like ARB
Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #18
Johnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnsredline is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Johnsredline's Tacoma Gallery
I use my trd offroad for elk hunting, and have gone through some serious snow with a stock set up. If your just daily driving, and going hunting in 2ft snow like you said, I wouldn't spend the money on lockers. 4

The offroad has the elocker on the rear, and for the front you have Atrac.... Atrac isn't the greatest as we all know, but if your only needing it occasionally save your self the 3-6g and just buy yourself an offroad and a hilift
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #19
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminallen1 View Post
See Janster's posts below on how a 2005-2008 mechanical diff. works. Enough of a maintenance headache to discontinue it forever.

Since YOU asked... A-TRAC is a level far above TRAC and AUTO LSD, and is best described as 'automatic locker-like' traction control. Once a tire on each axle looses traction (spins) you are DOA. TRAC and AUTO LSD are two levels that limit the spin and transfer power to the non-moving (stuck) tire(s)... it can be a big step up, specially in H4. However, L4 is open differentials plus the emergency only rear locker. No emergency needed but maximum traction is achieved through the ecu and hydraulic brake booster (all other Tacomas have a vacuum break booster). The A-TRAC device matches tire rotation across an axle (as a locker does with gears) to get you up, out and over most anything.

Now the A-TRAC doesn't make steering difficult on tight trail, so a big advantage there... It only wakes up when you meet an obstruction or a slippery place, and just a little heavy pedal puts it to work. I ran a bad bad road for 3 hours with the A-TRAC on and worked perfectly.

Turn on the rear locker with A-TRAC, and A-TRAC is off line until you drop below 3 mph (getting stuck), when it comes alive on the front tires to get you moving again. So, for the guys that like to spin the tires in the mud and snow, for show or otherwise... the front end is open and the back end is locked, no limited slip to steel your fun. Get bogged down, with that A-TRAC button always pushed in low range, the A-TRAC genie gets you out!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #20
LRGRNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
ARB Air lockers

http://store.arbusa.com/Air-Lockers-C7.aspx

ARB is a selectable locker. You can turn it on or off whenever you want it.

For the same reason you DO NOT want to drive in 4WD for daily driving is the same general reasons (and then some) for not using lockers while daily driving.

LSD is designed for daily driving. It IS NOT a fulltime locker like ARB
You contradict yourself. ARB lockers on our trucks are not full time, you can turn it off.

Again how is a selectable locker (ARB) not as good as LSD for daily driving? How often does the LSD engage during daily driving?

Both are traction aids and can/are turned on in the event of loss of traction and can/are turned off when traction is restored. LSD is also a form of locker, which you say should not use during daily driving.