Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is this a good price for 2012? & credit unions?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
firsttacoma07 is on a distinguished road
firsttacoma07's Tacoma Gallery

Dealer has 2012 with 14,738 miles 4x2 dclb TRD sport w/towing package for 27,678. When I asked what was the lowest he could go he said 26,900. Told him I'd be better off with new at that price. He said with a new my interest would be 3.9 but since this 2012 is certified used 1.9 was the rate. Told him at that rate I might consider it. He later said he made a mistake and that the rate doesn't apply to tacomas anymore but that he could do 25,900+ TTL.

I think 25.9 is reasonable. What do you all think?

Also does anyone use USAA, PenFed or Alliant? I see they offer really low rates on new cars so might consider joining one of these and going for new. Are there any other credit unions I should look into or are these the best.

Would appreciate any help or tips thanks!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
for a prerunner your still too close to new pricing to pay that in my opinion.. go look at the what did you pay for your 2013 thread and see what people are paying for that truck new.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
you cant get better then USAA.

im 21 and used them because my mom was is a vet and i had no issue getting them to approve me and this is my 2nd time financing through them no issue at all
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
here, this guy was looking at a 2013 same specs..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knwilson View Post
Think I finally found my truck and a great deal we (dealer and I) can live with:

2013 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner TRD Sport Double Cab

MRSP - $29,305
Factory Invoice - $27,816
Dealer Quote - $26,000 + TTL (dealer fees are only $195)

Should be right around $28,600 OTD when all the dust settles.

I will find out tomorrow...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
billstickly1 is on a distinguished road
billstickly1's Tacoma Gallery
toyota is offering 0% on the tacoma right now. I just qualified and picked up a new one on Saturday. That is the way to go for you.

Edit: it is a 3 year loan, dont know if that would work.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
I use PenFed

They rock. Highly recommend them If they get you the best deal.

My loan is 1.12% for 60 months

limit on mileage is 120k
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
for a prerunner your still too close to new pricing to pay that in my opinion.. go look at the what did you pay for your 2013 thread and see what people are paying for that truck new.
yea i saw that post although i was thinking it was a short bed. how much do you think would be low enough to justify a used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
you cant get better then USAA.

im 21 and used them because my mom was is a vet and i had no issue getting them to approve me and this is my 2nd time financing through them no issue at all
what was your rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billstickly1 View Post
toyota is offering 0% on the tacoma right now. I just qualified and picked up a new one on Saturday. That is the way to go for you.

Edit: it is a 3 year loan, dont know if that would work.
im looking for a low payment so minimum 60 months would work for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by llibrm View Post
I use PenFed

They rock. Highly recommend them If they get you the best deal.

My loan is 1.12% for 60 months

limit on mileage is 120k
1.12% is a great rate! i had never looked into credit unions until today (always thought you had to work for certain entities or be a fed worker or something) but I checked them out and see its easy to join

Anyone ever dealt with alliant?? I see they offer "Terms up to 84 months on new vehicle loans of $25,000 or more. Add 1% for over 72 month term" if my calculations are correct that would be about 3% on an 84 month loan.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
rickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickcrna is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
rickcrna's Tacoma Gallery
From a financial perspective, if it takes you 60 to 84 months to pay off a truck loan, then you probably can't afford it.

Not what people like to hear.....but facts are facts.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like 14,000 is a lot of miles for a 2012.. Why would someone return it after just that? I would be a bit cautious, but also what rickcrna said.. maybe you should go with a 1st gen?
Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #10
speedgeezer is on a distinguished road
Navy: Anti-Sub Tech
Name: John
speedgeezer's Tacoma Gallery

edmunds.com has pricing for new and used vehicles. Used to use kbb.com but edmunds is more accurate. Black book is what dealers use for trade-ins. Don't sit in dealership too long, tell them you have some more you want to look at. Have your financing arranged ahead of time, if dealer offers lower rate consider it. If you already have life insurance decline credit life.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #11
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
Try USAA car buying program also. I got a great deal on my 2011 through it (I bought August 2010, one of the first '11s on the lot). Also, don't be afraid to use the toyota financing, USAA offered me a great rate but Toyota offered better at 1.9%
Old 03-26-2013, 04:22 AM   #12
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
USAA's rates aren't as good as they used to be. A local credit union and Toyota have beaten them on my last 2 vehicles. I love USAA, but they are almost getting too big now.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:23 AM   #13
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
Try USAA car buying program also. I got a great deal on my 2011 through it (I bought August 2010, one of the first '11s on the lot). Also, don't be afraid to use the toyota financing, USAA offered me a great rate but Toyota offered better at 1.9%
yep, Costco also has a car buying program. I would guess Sams and BJs might also have similar programs. Last two vehicles I've purchased have been through this process. Easy and a good deal. Dealers will always find a way to screw you though, like add ons or screwing you on your trade in.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 AM   #14
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Edmunds is a good source for prices and you can submit requests for dealer quotes. I went through the same thing with my 09. Dealer had more room to move on a new one. As far as loan rates go to MSN money. Rates are real low right now and lots of choices with good credit. Heck BOFA is even 2.3.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #16
4Running
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
I just refinanced through PenFed @ 1.74 for 60 (just missed the 1.49%).

Quote:
From a financial perspective, if it takes you 60 to 84 months to pay off a truck loan, then you probably can't afford it.

Not true, I choose 60 to lower my monthly rate (from 3.37%) and I plan on paying off the car loan in 36 months. I originally was with USAA for 72 months. I used them for ease of purchasing and just shaved off 10 months and $60 a month by refinancing. I'm pretty good about using $ from deployments and tax returns towards my principal. Good Luck, OP.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #17
Chris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris24 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
Chris24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcrna View Post

100% NOT a fact.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

For the most part you are probably right, and I personally agree with anything >60 months is not good, but the financial truth is that this totally depends on the depreciation rate and the loan payoff value at certain points. For most cars this means that anything over 60 months starts to follow the depreciation curve quite too closely. For a Tacoma, not quite the case as they hold their values well.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #19
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

More than 60, yeah I'm inclined to agree..unless you do what I did with my mortgage when I refi'd..did the 30 year b/c I couldn't afford the closing costs for a 15 yr but I'm paying the payment as though it was a 15.

60 months to pay is not abnormal, although I get the idea of pay it off fast as you can. More is not desireable unless you have few if any other living expenses.

I financed my Chevy truck through the Telephone Workers Credit Union (my dad worked for AT&T for 30 years). I was going to go that route with my Tacoma but they were doing the 1.9% on mine so I let them.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Quote:

Well i could do the 60 as the calculators are showing a payment under 400 but i mentioned the 84 bc it would be 3% (at least from the terms i read thru alliant) and the payment would be under 300. I could always send more and the 84 would keep income to monthly debt ratio low in banks eye for future purchases (income property)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredofshaw View Post
I was wondering about their car buying program, glad to see you were able to get a great deal thru it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
USAA's rates aren't as good as they used to be. A local credit union and Toyota have beaten them on my last 2 vehicles. I love USAA, but they are almost getting too big now.
Thanks for sharing. Anyone dealt with USAA auto insurance?