Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

RPMs are revving high (video included)

Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
imDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Darrin
imDARRIN's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation RPMs are revving high (video included)

I'm almost a week into having my new Taco and I've noticed that if my vehicle has been sitting and I start her up, the RPMs rev a lot higher when I have my truck in Park or in Neutral versus me having it in Drive or Reverse. Is this a natural response from the engine's computer taking control?
2013 Tacoma Pre-Runner DCSB v6 4x2 sr5 automatic

Apologies for being so GREEN concerning Tacomas, but this is the reason why I joined the forum; to seek knowledge and information from those of you who are willing to provide it. If you're simply feeling the need to tell me how absurd my question is or how I should already know the answer please move on to another thread. Thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX8yJ4HRxnw
Old 03-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Cold engine = higher RPMs in general until it warms up. Watched the vid a couple of times and looks normal to me
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
imDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedimDARRIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Darrin
imDARRIN's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't have posted a thread if I wasn't. 1st vehicle that isn't a pre1966 VW so I'm pretty unfamiliar with it..
also 1st automatic

"moving up in life"
Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Aztecs is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Aerospace Propulsion
Name: Jose
Aztecs's Tacoma Gallery
What are your RPM's after it's all warmed up? But Yes cold starts do give High RPM's and your RPM's were gradualy going down as the engine was running.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
No load on a engine(neutral or park)= Higher RPM's. Load, (in gear)= lower RPM's. Just like any other automagic out there. Completely normal.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
normal...no worries.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
No load on a engine(neutral or park)= Higher RPM's. Load, (in gear)= lower RPM's. Just like any other automagic out there. Completely normal.
I was going to say the same thing...you beat me to it.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Taco View Post
I was going to say the same thing...you beat me to it.

I'm amazed. I generally lose those races.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Normal...
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
car78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcar78412 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

car78412's Tacoma Gallery
Normal for a cold engine.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the forum! Don't let these trolls stop you from asking questions. There is a lot of information on here, so feel free to browse away. Whenever I have a question, I like to spend a bit of time searching through seeing if it's been asked before, as there are some very knowledgeable people around here. And lots of issues have likely already been covered.

Your issue is completely normal. It happens with the manual as well as with the auto trans.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Don't let these trolls stop you from asking questions. There is a lot of information on here, so feel free to browse away. Whenever I have a question, I like to spend a bit of time searching through seeing if it's been asked before, as there are some very knowledgeable people around here. And lots of issues have likely already been covered.

Your issue is completely normal. It happens with the manual as well as with the auto trans.

This ^^^^

its totally normal.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post

Not everyone are trolls, his concerns were addressed in the 1st post.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does exactly the same thing. Worried me too at first.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #16
Dude
Mtn Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Craig
Mtn Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
As everyone has already mentioned this is definitely a normal operation. If you leave the vehicle in Park and let the engine warm up you can see the rpm's will ramp down to about 650 rpm (warm idle speed); it should take about 3-5 min depending on initial oil temperature. After warm up the Engine speed won't fluctuate as you operate the trans shifter.

Also, there is no harm to change the shift lever to any position during that cold start but you may feel a little shift shock becuase the engine torque is higher compared to the warm idle case.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
maykevin5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
maykevin5's Tacoma Gallery
I was used to GM but after buying my 2012 tacoma i've noticed some different things about the way toyota does things. Such as the high rpm when cold, no auto on headlights, doors relock after 30 seconds after unlocking with key fob and not opening the door. The big one that concerned me was that the fuel pump runs after 5 hours after turning the truck off to circulate the fuel in the lines to release pressure even with the key out of the ignition. Thought the fuel pump relay was stuck, then read the book and found it was normal... The oil drain plug gasket needs replaced every oil change, the heat exchanger for the oil filter and the coolant (that was odd at first and had to ask what that was) I thought it was a coolent filter... Spark plugs recommend changed at 30,000 GM vehicles says 100,000.. They still use a fan clutch and not electric fans.. Might have saved 1 or 2 mpg with electric but good ol fan clutch are bullet proof.
Just some stuff to get used to.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
I was used to GM but after buying my 2012 tacoma i've noticed some different things about the way toyota does things. Such as the high rpm when cold, no auto on headlights, doors relock after 30 seconds after unlocking with key fob and not opening the door. The big one that concerned me was that the fuel pump runs after 5 hours after turning the truck off to circulate the fuel in the lines to release pressure even with the key out of the ignition. Thought the fuel pump relay was stuck, then read the book and found it was normal... The oil drain plug gasket needs replaced every oil change, the heat exchanger for the oil filter and the coolant (that was odd at first and had to ask what that was) I thought it was a coolent filter... Spark plugs recommend changed at 30,000 GM vehicles says 100,000.. They still use a fan clutch and not electric fans.. Might have saved 1 or 2 mpg with electric but good ol fan clutch are bullet proof.
Just some stuff to get used to.
High rpm cold is so it warms up and iirc is better for emmisions...green

my manual doors don't lock automatically

sparkplugs are 120k on mine.. I got the I4, studying the truck before you buy it allows you to not get surprises. That's normal too.

Clutch fans still work well, electric fans don't prove something modern or better.

Some people not getting self informed before any brand of vehicle purchase.... normal.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
A pre-66 vw has a high idle on cold start too.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
no auto on headlights
Kinda.
You can leave them on 24/7. Shut the truck off, and when you open the door, the lights go out.
Quote:
, doors relock after 30 seconds after unlocking with key fob and not opening the door.
It's an anti-theft feature. There are only so many codes. In a metropolitan area, it is quite likely that someone else in "your" parking lot may have the same code.
They unlock their vehicle (and yours), get into theirs, and drive off.
Yours is now unlocked and unattended. This feature fixes that.
Quote:
The oil drain plug gasket needs replaced every oil change
Just buy a Fumoto drain valve and never replace the gasket again.
Quote:
Spark plugs recommend changed at 30,000 GM vehicles says 100,000..
4.0 uses copper and change at 30k.... they're $3 plugs.
The 2.7 and GM use Iridium plugs at 100k... $17 plugs.
Same overall cost.