LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibration from start

Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
shbop is on a distinguished road
shbop's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration from start

I can feel a vibration in the steering when starting out from a stop, but only if the wheel is turned one direction or the other. I've checked wheel bearings, and steering components, and am now thinking it might be the drive shaft intermediate bearing. My truck has no other symptoms. I don't feel anything driving at speed or turning. This only happens when I start out from a stop, with the wheel turned. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! This is an 08' Tacoma four door PreRunner. Automatic 2WD.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shbop View Post
I can feel a vibration in the steering when starting out from a stop, but only if the wheel is turned one direction or the other. I've checked wheel bearings, and steering components, and am now thinking it might be the drive shaft intermediate bearing. My truck has no other symptoms. I don't feel anything driving at speed or turning. This only happens when I start out from a stop, with the wheel turned. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! This is an 08' Tacoma four door PreRunner. Automatic 2WD.
Unbolt the Intermediate bearing/Carrier Bearing and flip it over. Tip, mark the bottom side with a marker. Keep a jack stand under the axle and you will have no issue with it falling on you. If nothing changes, or it gets worse, flip it back.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
shbop is on a distinguished road
shbop's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. I had considered the intermediate bearing, and with 90k miles thought perhaps I should just replace it. To replace it: If I unbolt it, will I be able to simply drop the bearing down until the drive shafts separate, or is it neccessary to unbolt the u-bolt by the rear axle?