No way, remove those suckers 38 30.65%
It depends 37 29.84%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
TacoVerde742 is on a distinguished road

Name: Christian
TacoVerde742's Tacoma Gallery
Question on Mud Flaps

Okay, so I've noticed there seems to be a disagreement on the issue as to whether or not the mud flaps should be removed. I haven't done any off-roading and don't plan on it in the near future. I haven't installed a lift or larger tires.
I've read that the mud flaps can cause damage to the paint, but it seems only in extreme situations.
So, what the deal?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
thebrick is on a distinguished road

thebrick's Tacoma Gallery
If you aren't going higher or bigger i don't see why they can't stay. Leave em til you break em.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #4
steeds is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
steeds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoVerde742 View Post
I've read that the mud flaps can cause damage to the paint, but it seems only in extreme situations.
who ever wrote this is a moron.
but i'd say just do what ever looks best for you. not what anyone else thinks
i had my old truck stock..and then with a lift..the flaps stayed on both times and i had chips on the side of my truck. road conditions,gravel,sand,other traffic...doesn't matter you'll get chips regardless.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Name: Brandon
senojeelnodnarb's Tacoma Gallery
Well I hate how my front flaps almost touched the ground. So they came off. I had the truck in central Texas(really dusty) and after a month when I removed the front the dust/ sans had rubbed the paint bad
Old 03-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Leave them on and trim them
^ This, if you don't offroad. If you do offroad, remove them. If you want to lift with bigger tires, remove them.

I don't offroad either, however sometimes when pavement is cutup or certain gnarly speed bumps, the front flaps would scrap, so I trimmed both the front and back. I trimmed the backs so they just covered the exhaust, and trimmed the fronts the same length as the backs.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #7

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
or if your wanting, throw the stock ones away and look at "rally armor" mud flaps. i had those on my subaru and they are wicked nice. super flexible and will never crack in cold conditions.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
I say at least take the front off. if you wont be going off road you wont have a problem with rocks. i have A/Tís and go off road and hardly ever have rocks hit the rocker panels or doors. I took the front off the 3rd day i had the truck. back came off last summer because most the tabs broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeds View Post
who ever wrote this is a moron.
but i'd say just do what ever looks best for you. not what anyone else thinks
i had my old truck stock..and then with a lift..the flaps stayed on both times and i had chips on the side of my truck. road conditions,gravel,sand,other traffic...doesn't matter you'll get chips regardless.
WRONG! the edge of the mud flap and rub the pain off the flair! There is pic in other threads to prove that it can happen. So people that say it can are not morons. I had very slight and small marks on my finder fairs when i took mine off.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
I say at least take the front off. if you wont be going off road you wont have a problem with rocks. i have A/Tís and go off road and hardly ever have rocks hit the rocker panels or doors. I took the front off the 3rd day i had the truck. back came off last summer because most the tabs broke.

WRONG! the edge of the mud flap and rub the pain off the flair! There is pic in other threads to prove that it can happen. So people that say it can are not morons. I had very slight and small marks on my finder fairs when i took mine off.
hmm mudflaps in the fender behind a spinning wheel blocking debris...caused the small marks on the fender fairs....? hhmmm
cause flaps or not..your going to get marks not just from your tires. they obviously prevent alot more then what would happen if they were off. but like people say.if not off roading, just keep them on. id say.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
ScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shedScotianPlaid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ScotianPlaid's Tacoma Gallery
Trimmed the front 4 inches. Don't offroad but do drive some logging roads. the fronts were scrapping on some dips in the road. Seems good now.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
hmm mudflaps in the fender behind a spinning wheel blocking debris...caused the small marks on the fender fairs....? hhmmm
cause flaps or not..your going to get marks not just from your tires. they obviously prevent alot more then what would happen if they were off. but like people say.if not off roading, just keep them on. id say.
ok. and only think they really stop if water(donít even keep water from getting thrown up) and they stop rocks. if you not off roading and donít have A/Tís or M/Tís rocks are not a problem. i never had rocks hit when i took them off and had the stock rugged fails. only had rocks start hitting when i got my nitto terra grapplers, and i still hardly ever have rock hit even with off roading. and how are you going to get mark from the tires? unless they are bigger tires (even if they are one size bigger they wont touch( they donít come close to touching the finders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
this is what they do to your paint, not a big deal if you leave em on forever though

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...mud-flaps.html
This is what iím talking about and everyone els. You canít see it till you take them off.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #13

steeds's Tacoma Gallery
yea but i'd never take them off so i dont need to worry about it :P
but whats worse..taking them off and ruining the whole side of your truck (not saying you will..but you would more then likely)
or just keep them on in the city and have minimal damage to the side of your truck.

as he said, no off roading..so just being logical for his sake...give it's stock also
Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #14
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
besides the fact that I cant get away with them removed for safety checks, I've run mine without problems....

granted, theyre kinda fucked up from all the rocks theyve hit, but they're still there....
Old 03-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea but i'd never take them off so i dont need to worry about it :P
but whats worse..taking them off and ruining the whole side of your truck (not saying you will..but you would more then likely)
or just keep them on in the city and have minimal damage to the side of your truck.

as he said, no off roading..so just being logical for his sake...give it's stock also
if you're not offroading, then i wouldn't worry about damage, they're more for keeping your truck cleaner than protecting against damage, i have mine off, i think it makes the truck look taller and gives it a cleaner look (not literal)
Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
besides the fact that I cant get away with them removed for safety checks, I've run mine without problems....

granted, theyre kinda fucked up from all the rocks theyve hit, but they're still there....
fuck safety checks... I keep my rear on for a little bit. then all the plastic clips broke and they were held on by 2 bolts so i just took them off, did not want to risk loosing one on the road or something.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I have never understood the " take the flaps off before they gouge the paint so instead of that you can chip the shit out of your rocker panel and doors with rocks " arguement
Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I have never understood the " take the flaps off before they gouge the paint so instead of that you can chip the shit out of your rocker panel and doors with rocks " arguement
x2
but it looks better without mudflaps?
idk

I like the way mine are.... just always need to remember to never reverse onto them haha
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
I've been debating on taking mine off... I guess I'll just leave them on until the break off.