Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Problems towing travel trailer

Old 03-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
Kenneth4x4 is on a distinguished road
Kenneth4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Problems towing travel trailer

I have 2013 dc 4x4 with a 26 ft tt weighs 4080 pounds but when I get over 50 mph I feel not comfortable kind sways or feels loose yet but I have got to 57 mph By tighten the sway bar up. I have wdh, sway control, and brake controller on set up . Thought I could ask for any suggestions such as air bags would help with the sway. Looking for advice
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Do you have at least 10% tongue weight?

I was towing my jeep today and had it about 1ft back from where I usually put it and it swayed if I went over 50mph. I didnt have my sway control or my WDH on today.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you have too much weight behind the trailer axle. Move some weight up so you have more tongue weight.

Air bags help a lot with the weight. I have a dumper trailer that i get to 5,500 lbs some times. I really try to keep it at 60 MPH with that weight but it would be ok at 70.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
I would also try a weight distributing hitch...will make a huge difference !

http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Weig...tribution.aspx
Old 03-31-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for not enough tongue weight. I put my WR250R on the back of my 24ft TT and had the same swaying.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
Hubs is on a distinguished road
Hubs's Tacoma Gallery
The magic number for tongue weight is 7-10% of TOTAL weight including trailer(fuel, water, and accessories).
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth4x4 View Post
I have 2013 dc 4x4 with a 26 ft tt weighs 4080 pounds but when I get over 50 mph I feel not comfortable kind sways or feels loose yet but I have got to 57 mph By tighten the sway bar up. I have wdh, sway control, and brake controller on set up . Thought I could ask for any suggestions such as air bags would help with the sway. Looking for advice
Even though your are below the max rating, IMO you do not buy a Tacoma if you are towing anything that big on a regular basis. Its about 10ft longer then the truck, taller and wider and the wind drag alone will make it a battle every trip. Get a bigger truck and trailering will be a lot more fun.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Even though your are below the max rating, IMO you do not buy a Tacoma if you are towing anything that big on a regular basis. Its about 10ft longer then the truck, taller and wider and the wind drag alone will make it a battle every trip. Get a bigger truck and trailering will be a lot more fun.
Times 2 ^ Have you actually weight it? Loaded and ready to go with propane/water ,food, beer all your gear? You maybe be looking at another 400-600# The weight of the trailer often does not include any of that stuff often not even the battery and propane tanks they want you to think it's very light and strong.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Or get a HiLo!
Attached Thumbnails
Problems towing travel trailer-020913-005.jpg  
Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #11

Well I am, Sandy's little house.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
^thats funny the thumbnail looks like you are carrying the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
If it was closer to 6k, I would agree. The Tacoma should handle 4k no problem with the setup he has...with the length, he should have the DCLB to help with sway, but that's it.

OP, you should be looking at about 400lbs of tongue weight if that is your actual loaded weight. If you aren't sure of loaded weight, next time you take it out, stop by a weigh scale and adjust accordingly...
Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
woodchip is on a distinguished road
woodchip's Tacoma Gallery
my 19' ,3300 lb trailer is close to 4500 loaded.tows great but on a 26 I would expect to have at least 1500 lbs of gear,water and beer.be careful loading and watch the tongue weight.tacoma is good for short hauls.i usually stick under 500 miles each way
Old 12-16-2014, 04:08 AM   #14
3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed3rail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Donald
3rail's Tacoma Gallery
I towed my trailer and show car all the time with my 2006 AC. The car was 3600 pounds and the trailer 1300 pounds for a total of around 5K.

Never had a problem even on Interstates with big rigs passing that "suck off" your wind.

I was pretty anal about tongue weight and had it right around 500 pounds using a scale. I did not have a WD system, just a straight bar with a 3 inch drop. The Taco had Firestone air bags on the rear that helped. The trailer had electric brakes.

I know a car hauler does not have the sail area of a trailer but I agree with PSJ. When I bought an enclosed 27 foot trailer, I also bought a Tundra to tow it. Much, much more comfortable with a bigger truck and the proper hitch in the rear.

Just my two cents.

Donald