1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Used Toyota Tacomas - mileage and bed length?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fuzzybabybunny, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Just did mine

2. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    Hmmm :notsure:...I did mine at 60k and will do it again at 120k which is about 11k miles

3. Apr 2, 2013 at 11:20 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My Canadian 2009 maitenance schedule says 96 000 kms ( 60K miles ) , sorry my original post was a bit vague

4. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    roundhouse

roundhouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCLB 4X4
    Firestone Ride-Rites, Leer 180 cap, custom box anchors
    From the factory they don't have much (enough?) weight capacity. I bought a double cab long bed (v-6 auto) new in 2009. The next year I had the rear leaf TSB done and it was slightly better. In 2011 I found a camper I wanted to use on the truck so after researching Firestone Ride-rite air helper springs on this site I bought a set and installed them. The truck finally has what I consider adequate carrying capacity. I love the air springs and it is simple to run them at 8-10lbs when empty for a nice ride or add pressure when the truck is loaded with the camper or anything else.

The camper doesn't have either an indoor shower or toilet and only runs about 1000lbs. That is one of the reasons I prefer this small size, the truck handles almost as well as it does empty. I have run big campers on big trucks and it can be a pain. Also with this fold down camper the milage doesn't suffer too badly, I normally get 20mpg empty and around 17mpg with the camper. I also rerouted the electrical plug down into the truck box rather than the out the side, I travel with it plugged into the bed outlet. When I'm settling in at a remote campsite the camper is powered up with the flip of the switch.

Here are a couple photos of my rig:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
    Not vague at all sir :thumbsup:
    Going to have to get my manual to see what mileage

6. Apr 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    fuzzybabybunny

fuzzybabybunny [OP] Member

Member:
    Nice! Is it absolutely impossible to find a camper that the Tacoma can take with an indoor shower and toilet? I plan to be living in this in all seasons...

7. Apr 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    Sorry to confuse ya man, I just do mine when I do the diffs and t case every 30k, not exactly sure what the fsm says.

8. Apr 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    roundhouse

roundhouse Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 DCLB 4X4
    Firestone Ride-Rites, Leer 180 cap, custom box anchors
    It would be tough, I've never seen it done. I had a tough enough time finding a camper this size. Even at full size the shower/toilet campers place the bathroom in the wider section over the tailgate. If you figure putting such a camper in a 6' bed Tacoma it will extend 2' beyond the tailgate before the bathroom section then another 2'+ where the bathroom is. You would be close to having as much camper out of the truck as in it, if the weight didn't kill it the truck would handle very poorly I suspect. I have a Texan truck top camper 10 or 11' feet long (not counting the over cab bunk) with a combination shower and toilet. I've moved this camper on a crew cab F350 long bed, it made driving a chore, I can't imagine something close to that size on a Tacoma, you'd need at least a Tundra, an F250 would be even better.

9. Apr 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    sde780

sde780 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The 6-speed stands to leave you stranded as well. Have you ever had a bearing explode in a transmission? Manual or auto, you're probably not going very far.

OP you're looking for a truck you can live in, can house a in-bed shower and toilet, and needs to be reliable past 200k miles? Let me know when you find one :)

Products Discussed in

To Top