Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Used Toyota Tacomas - mileage and bed length?

Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Tranny oil every 30k?! This is the first I hear of this...
Just did mine
Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #22
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Just did mine
Hmmm ...I did mine at 60k and will do it again at 120k which is about 11k miles
Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #23
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
Hmmm ...I did mine at 60k and will do it again at 120k which is about 11k miles
My Canadian 2009 maitenance schedule says 96 000 kms ( 60K miles ) , sorry my original post was a bit vague
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #24
roundhouse is on a distinguished road

roundhouse's Tacoma Gallery
Camper & weight options

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
One of the issues would be the weight carrying capacity. It's around 1500lb, right? Not really enough for a camper with indoor shower and toilet, huh? Any reasonable way to upgrade the weight carrying capacity?
From the factory they don't have much (enough?) weight capacity. I bought a double cab long bed (v-6 auto) new in 2009. The next year I had the rear leaf TSB done and it was slightly better. In 2011 I found a camper I wanted to use on the truck so after researching Firestone Ride-rite air helper springs on this site I bought a set and installed them. The truck finally has what I consider adequate carrying capacity. I love the air springs and it is simple to run them at 8-10lbs when empty for a nice ride or add pressure when the truck is loaded with the camper or anything else.

The camper doesn't have either an indoor shower or toilet and only runs about 1000lbs. That is one of the reasons I prefer this small size, the truck handles almost as well as it does empty. I have run big campers on big trucks and it can be a pain. Also with this fold down camper the milage doesn't suffer too badly, I normally get 20mpg empty and around 17mpg with the camper. I also rerouted the electrical plug down into the truck box rather than the out the side, I travel with it plugged into the bed outlet. When I'm settling in at a remote campsite the camper is powered up with the flip of the switch.

Here are a couple photos of my rig:

Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My Canadian 2009 maitenance schedule says 96 000 kms ( 60K miles ) , sorry my original post was a bit vague
Not vague at all sir
Going to have to get my manual to see what mileage
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
fuzzybabybunny is on a distinguished road
fuzzybabybunny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
From the factory they don't have much (enough?) weight capacity. I bought a double cab long bed (v-6 auto) new in 2009. The next year I had the rear leaf TSB done and it was slightly better. In 2011 I found a camper I wanted to use on the truck so after researching Firestone Ride-rite air helper springs on this site I bought a set and installed them. The truck finally has what I consider adequate carrying capacity. I love the air springs and it is simple to run them at 8-10lbs when empty for a nice ride or add pressure when the truck is loaded with the camper or anything else.

The camper doesn't have either an indoor shower or toilet and only runs about 1000lbs. That is one of the reasons I prefer this small size, the truck handles almost as well as it does empty. I have run big campers on big trucks and it can be a pain. Also with this fold down camper the milage doesn't suffer too badly, I normally get 20mpg empty and around 17mpg with the camper. I also rerouted the electrical plug down into the truck box rather than the out the side, I travel with it plugged into the bed outlet. When I'm settling in at a remote campsite the camper is powered up with the flip of the switch.

Here are a couple photos of my rig:

Nice! Is it absolutely impossible to find a camper that the Tacoma can take with an indoor shower and toilet? I plan to be living in this in all seasons...
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #27
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
Haven't heard of an auto taco blowing yet... No clutch to replace, no tob to squeak, just change tranny oil every 30k and go...
Sorry to confuse ya man, I just do mine when I do the diffs and t case every 30k, not exactly sure what the fsm says.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #28
roundhouse is on a distinguished road

roundhouse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny View Post
Nice! Is it absolutely impossible to find a camper that the Tacoma can take with an indoor shower and toilet? I plan to be living in this in all seasons...
It would be tough, I've never seen it done. I had a tough enough time finding a camper this size. Even at full size the shower/toilet campers place the bathroom in the wider section over the tailgate. If you figure putting such a camper in a 6' bed Tacoma it will extend 2' beyond the tailgate before the bathroom section then another 2'+ where the bathroom is. You would be close to having as much camper out of the truck as in it, if the weight didn't kill it the truck would handle very poorly I suspect. I have a Texan truck top camper 10 or 11' feet long (not counting the over cab bunk) with a combination shower and toilet. I've moved this camper on a crew cab F350 long bed, it made driving a chore, I can't imagine something close to that size on a Tacoma, you'd need at least a Tundra, an F250 would be even better.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #29
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
the manual might lose synchro's over time, might need a clutch replacement every couple hundred thousand miles, but will ALWAYS be driveable if not abused and is maintained.

its the same choice as its always been, except the auto is more competitive than any auto before. it may be good for 300k miles, but when its done, its done. don't let people mislead you by saying the 6-speed is unreliable, as it has no excuse to leave you stranded, as long as there is oil in it and there is friction material on the flywheel.

98k on my 6-speed and zero issues. I believe the "million mile" truck is one of the early models with tob issues
The 6-speed stands to leave you stranded as well. Have you ever had a bearing explode in a transmission? Manual or auto, you're probably not going very far.

OP you're looking for a truck you can live in, can house a in-bed shower and toilet, and needs to be reliable past 200k miles? Let me know when you find one