Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma World saves the day.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
newfieDan is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
newfieDan's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma World saves the day.

So I just had my 2 week old Taco malfunction while off road. I was stuck in some soft deep snow, and 4Hi wasn't getting me out so I switched into 4Lo and got out. Then, no matter what I did I could not get it to switch back into 4Hi which was a problem because I was 60km's away from home via highway. I didn't even have a wrench with me that I could remove the battery cable (that wont happen again) so I was a bit screwed. Then, I remembered reading a thread here last week from someone informing people how to turn off the maintenance required light. I did that reset, turned the truck off again, switched to 2Hi and sure enough, everything was back to normal. Thanks Tacoma World!

Anyone else ever have this problem? I can only find one other thread on it. The only thing Im afraid of now is that the ECU reset would have also erased any trouble codes, and Toyota will have no way of finding out what happened.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
maintenance required light is different than the check engine light, you shouldn't have erased any codes, you just reset your (change oil reminder) light.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieDan View Post
So I just had my 2 week old Taco malfunction while off road. I was stuck in some soft deep snow, and 4Hi wasn't getting me out so I switched into 4Lo and got out. Then, no matter what I did I could not get it to switch back into 4Hi which was a problem because I was 60km's away from home via highway. I didn't even have a wrench with me that I could remove the battery cable (that wont happen again) so I was a bit screwed. Then, I remembered reading a thread here last week from someone informing people how to turn off the maintenance required light. I did that reset, turned the truck off again, switched to 2Hi and sure enough, everything was back to normal. Thanks Tacoma World!

Anyone else ever have this problem? I can only find one other thread on it. The only thing Im afraid of now is that the ECU reset would have also erased any trouble codes, and Toyota will have no way of finding out what happened.
I'm thinking the reset probably was coincidental. Still, I hope you figure out the deal, especially since it sounds like we have the same trd sport 4x4..
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
I'm thinking the reset probably was coincidental. Still, I hope you figure out the deal, especially since it sounds like we have the same trd sport 4x4..
Hmmm, sounds like you guys are right in that it was coincidental. I have an appt on Thursday at Toyota. Will see what they say.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
So you couldn't get it out of 4LO? I've had that happen ... or have that appear to happen. What I've found is if I stop, drop in neutral, switch to 4HI (or 2HI) FROM 4LO, it will stay in 4LO until I switch into gear, and drive forward (or backward) some - it may be 50-100 feet or more - and then it shifts out on it's own. My e-locker is the same way ..
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
So you couldn't get it out of 4LO? I've had that happen ... or have that appear to happen. What I've found is if I stop, drop in neutral, switch to 4HI (or 2HI) FROM 4LO, it will stay in 4LO until I switch into gear, and drive forward (or backward) some - it may be 50-100 feet or more - and then it shifts out on it's own. My e-locker is the same way ..
Yeah I have a manual trans. Tried every combination but it just wouldn't come out of 4Lo. If I put the switch in any other configuration, 4Hi or 2Hi, reverse, forward, no matter what I did it would just beep at me and stay in Lo. I ended up driving for 20 k or so until I finally turned the truck off again, switched to 2Hi and when I turned it back on it finally came out. If that didn't work, I was calling roadside assistance.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
2013TuRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
2013TuRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2013 TRD off road, and I found that at first (first 15-20 trys) the 2-hi, 4 hi, 4 lo switch to 2-3 times to activate/de-activate but as I use it more (I go off road 1-2 times per week) it gets more and more reliable, now it generally works first time every time. It still hangs up some of the time, but usually cycling the switch and no further action will result in proper operation.

I'm thinking that for reliable operation of the 4wd system it should be used more than once a month. I generally poke it into diff lock as well as it seems to be responding similarly to use.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013TuRD View Post
I have a 2013 TRD off road, and I found that at first (first 15-20 trys) the 2-hi, 4 hi, 4 lo switch to 2-3 times to activate/de-activate but as I use it more (I go off road 1-2 times per week) it gets more and more reliable, now it generally works first time every time. It still hangs up some of the time, but usually cycling the switch and no further action will result in proper operation.

I'm thinking that for reliable operation of the 4wd system it should be used more than once a month. I generally poke it into diff lock as well as it seems to be responding similarly to use.
Thanks man, hardly seems normal to me though. I mean, should it not just work? Sounds like we might have some sort of faulty switch or solonoid or something.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 12 6spd offroad. Looking back I think I was impatient. Mine seemed particular at first. Acted weird. You have to be completely stopped. I find that it helps if your wheels are heading straight as opposed to in a turn and usually put a little preasure or take it off of the driveline helps.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
2013TuRD is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
2013TuRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks man, hardly seems normal to me though. I mean, should it not just work? Sounds like we might have some sort of faulty switch or solonoid or something.
I think some of the mechanics get stiff with disuse. As I use the system more it seems to work better. Have you been using yours regularly?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Quote:
I think some of the mechanics get stiff with disuse. As I use the system more it seems to work better. Have you been using yours regularly?
Have only had the truck for 2 weeks. Through it into 4lo when I first got it to make sure it engaged but that was it.

I have a question for you guys though...Whats with the beeping? Is it supposed to beep all the time it is in 4lo? Or is that just for when it is engaging. This time, when it was stuck in 4lo, it only beeped when the switch was in any other position (4h or 2h) but stopped beeping in 4lo. Previously, it seemed to me that it beeped whenever it was in 4lo, but I only had that one time to go on.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
It beeps when it is not doing what the switch is telling it to do. If the switch is set for 4 LO and is beeping, you are not engaged in 4 LO. And just the opposite when setting it to disengage,beeping means you are still locked in.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with usage brand new mind did the same shit the only way I was able to get it out was to disconnect the battery. I can tell you with a 6 spd you really have to mat the clutch and if you have a aftermarket floor mat that maybe enough to not let the clutch switch work. After awhile every thing worked fine and has for the last 30K and I do use it a lot.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #14
Drinknmolson is on a distinguished road
Drinknmolson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Mine works the first time, every time now

This is such a great use of all of the extra cup holders!! why didn't I think of that
Old 04-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Full of Win.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Owned my 2012 for 13 months and 18,000 miles now. Never had s problem engaging or disengaging 4 hi ,4low or2wd. I say user error.

Plus, OP, 4low is for creeping, not getting unstuck from snow.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #17
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah I have a manual trans. Tried every combination but it just wouldn't come out of 4Lo. If I put the switch in any other configuration, 4Hi or 2Hi, reverse, forward, no matter what I did it would just beep at me and stay in Lo. I ended up driving for 20 k or so until I finally turned the truck off again, switched to 2Hi and when I turned it back on it finally came out. If that didn't work, I was calling roadside assistance.
There's an electrical interlock that requires you to press the clutch pedal ALL the way down. Make sure you don't have a floor mat or floorliner that limits clutch pedal travel. Turning the ignition off and on again may have caused a signal change in the clutch pedal switch that accomplished the same thing.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:

meh, mine looks better

Old 04-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinknmolson View Post
This is such a great use of all of the extra cup holders!! why didn't I think of that
not like there arent 8 other cup holders to use in a manual access cab. losing one aint gonna kill anyone
Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My old Toyota pickup had a sticker inside that said the 4wd should be used at least once a month to keep it operating correctly. Granted it wasn't electrical, but it keeps things from seizing up.