1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Extended Warranty - A shout out to Troy Dietrich

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MountainEarth, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Apr 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I know a lot of you don't believe in extended warranties, but after our Subaru's $1,200 extended warranty saved us nearly $6,000 in total repair costs - wife's 2005 Subaru suffered a major engine failure at 90k miles (valve guides dropped into cylinders) - I appreciate the coverage.

My local dealer also gives awesome deals on full synthetic oil changes ($50 for oil, fluid checks, tire rotation, wash, greasing points, re-torquing bolts, brake checks, pulling codes etc. - great service), so I don't mind using them the 2x a year I change oil. I also don't drive a lot (less than 6k miles a year) so my truck won't even be fully broken in until well after the factory warranties expire.

So based on recommendations on TacomaWorld and Toyota Nation (see thread) I emailed Troy Dietrich of Toyota of Greenfield. As it turns out, there was an issue with my warranty application (related to nothing Troy did .. it had to do with my selling dealer, and my own ineptitude) that required some additional legwork by Troy, his team, and their regional rep. It was kind of a mess, and Troy could easily have dropped me. I was only buying a 7/75k warranty (my price - $569, but they do fluctuate), and he doesn't make much on the individual sale - my understanding is he sells these just above dealer cost and makes his money mostly through manufacturer incentives. But Troy stuck it out with me through emails and calls and paper trails, and was professional throughout.

So I told him I'd drop some kind words on the forum. If you're interested in a factory extended warranty / service agreement, make sure you contact Troy before your original 3/36 expires. He was great to work with. :proposetoast:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:38 PM
    rickcrna

rickcrna Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 AC SR5 4WD I4 Auto MGM
    I second this recommendation for the Toyota Platinum warranty offered by Troy. We bought a 100K mile warranty through Troy for my wife's Prius and the price was very competitive.

Once I buy my new Tacoma later on this year, I will definitely check out the warranty options with Troy.

3. Apr 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    car78412

car78412 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma reg cab 4x4
    I purchased a 7/100,000 Platnum for my Prius from Troy and will do the same for my Taco when it gets close to the end of my 3/36,000. You can't beat his pricing at your dealership.

4. Apr 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    If I keep a Tacoma to 36K ... I will buy from him.

5. Apr 1, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    arsonhntr

arsonhntr Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD sport spdway "blue"
    I bought the 7/125k platinum for mine through Acton Toyota. I log a lot of miles as traveling to visit kids and grand kids (son in laws in military). It's mainly for piece of mind as we all know that tacos last forever! But years ago I had a different type truck and broke down of course it was just past warranty! Well after being completely violated by the dealer it was an eye opening experience. Well worth the cost which was nominal compared to other warranties offered for brand x trucks(GM ford dodge).

6. Apr 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    burair

burair Member

Member:
    I'm considering returning the one I bought from the dealer and purchase one from Troy. Has anyone had any problems with the warranty they purchased through him? A little hesitant about buying from someone out of state.

Products Discussed in

To Top