Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

There goes the rear end

Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
weman914 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rory
weman914's Tacoma Gallery
There goes the rear end

So i do put my truck through quite a bit of abuse but for ther rear end to shit out a 104000
Is this normal ive only had the truck for a little over month
Ive done a couple burnouts and only took it up wheeln once
I got brand new whells and 285 75 s/t maxxs ready to go on this week and i dad the toytec 3" orderes but they called and said it was on back order so now iam debating on on what one to gt now
Old 04-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean? Like the shocks are shot?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
very vague post, not sure what you mean
Old 04-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #4

It just go towed to the shop so i dont now what happend exactly i suspect the ring pinion
Old 04-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #5

Iam just wondering if it common to have a rear end go out at a 104000 miles
Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay21 View Post
What do you mean? Like the shocks are shot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
very vague post, not sure what you mean
You all might just want to go have a seat over there --->

OP, rear end after 100, 000 isn't great but its not uncommon either. I destroyed my first one at 12k and did the second one at 28k. On my third third now and if it shits again I'm going to a rockjock dana 60.

Bottom line, not unheard of. Nothin but to fix it.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
How???

Not to be a newb but what (other than normal failure) causes this to happen ?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Abuse, oil contamination, or bad luck, or worn out bearings.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakabo View Post
Not to be a newb but what (other than normal failure) causes this to happen ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Abuse, oil contamination, or bad luck, or worn out bearings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weman914 View Post
So i do put my truck through quite a bit of abuse but for ther rear end to shit out a 104000
Flows better that way.

OP, good luck. When you get it fixed, ask the shop for details about the failure and you might get the new differential to last longer than 104k. If it's an e-locker (can't tell from what you've said), you might want to price a used axle swap + aftermarket locker for a stronger differential.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
You all might just want to go have a seat over there --->

OP, rear end after 100, 000 isn't great but its not uncommon either. I destroyed my first one at 12k and did the second one at 28k. On my third third now and if it shits again I'm going to a rockjock dana 60.

Bottom line, not unheard of. Nothin but to fix it.
I chose to stand...but thank you

go on...
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
i witnessed one blow this summer, driver was hard on the gas on rocks and the rear end bounced 3-4 times then boom and grinding nastiness. was able to drive it home with a lot of noise luckily. anyway the point is it had about 125k on it. we were pretty surprised but then started reading here and a few other places and learned that it's happening now and then. this was with the trd e-locker.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got brand new whells and 285 75 s/t maxxs ready to go on this week and i dad the toytec 3" orderes but they called and said it was on back order so now iam debating on on what one to gt now
You have TRD OR ? Than it's normal. You made good run with 100k on it.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
E locker rearend is known to have weak ring and pinion. Doing burnouts isn't helping matters.

Unless you're going to seriously wheel it, rebuild it stock and treat it well. Lots of guys on here with no issues with that same diff.

If you are planning to seriously wheel it, an upgrade is in order.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
Special Edition Member

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
if you abuse it..yes its a good run bit under normal conditions its not good but OP admitted abuse so its understandable
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
This ^
Old 04-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #16
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you know what the previous owner did with it? How often was the diff fluid changed? Was the diff ever submerged in water without the breather extension? A lot of things beyond simple burnouts can cause the diff to go.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #17
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OP never said if it was an e-locker or not.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #19
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
OP's picture gallery shows OR:
I see you were more interested than me.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #20

i bought the truck with a 2 year 30000 warranty so it will be getting fixed back to stock for now other wise i would upgrade but i will eventually when i have more$$$