1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Torn Between 2 Tacomas, Input and Opinions Greatly Appreciated

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Agent 21, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM
    Agent 21

Agent 21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So a quick rundown of my 9 month (and counting) Taco search. I love both generations, and each has things I prefer over the other, Like the 1st-gen's exterior, or the 2nd gens interior for example. Here's what I've been looking for:

2003-04 or 2007-08
    6-Cyl engine
    Access or Double (no regular cab)
    Auto (unfortunately I need to retire from manuals as an old back and knee injury is making it more and more uncomfortable to drive them as time goes on. Very sad since every vehicle in my 12 years of having a license has been manual)
    SR5, I need power windows! Haha
    TRD, preferred but not a must (the other requirements I have to stick to my guns on though)
    Color choices: Black, Charcol/dark grey, silver, the deep, candy-apple-esq red, the dark blue, or white. I'm not a fan of the "fire engine" bright red, or that green color.

I'm in Newport, RI, so my immediate search area would be RI, southern mass, and southeastern CT, with most of Southern New England being accessible, albeit with a bit more effort and planning to go see them than the ones I could find closer to me.

Budget is around $400/mo for truck payment AND insurance. Credit is 652, so not excellent but not bad either, I'm in the middle haha. Nothing delinquent though, and no late payments ever in anything. I just didn't start caring about credit building until the last few years, hence the number not being higher, I got a pretty late start on the credit thing haha.

So anyway, I am currently looking at 2, neither of which I've seen in person yet (tomorrow, and Wednesday, respectively) but have been in communication with both sellers. I'm torn because I like both, and both have pros and cons, so maybe some outside input would help. Here they are:

2003, pearl red, Access, TRD/SR5, 136,000mi, $9,800:
    http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/3702573518.html

OR

2008, Deep Blue, Access, TRD/SR5, 108,000mi, $16,900:
    http://www.ultraautosales.com/mobile/mdetails.aspx?VID=180163487

Both have everything I want feature/spec-wise (except ideally I'd like lower mileage), but the 08 is clearly in better shape. However, it's a LOT more expensive, especially when it's a dealer (who's already listing it as "on sale"), and the 03 is a private seller, with some minor cosmetic flaws (and a rear bumper that should be replaced), which helps in negotiations. KBB value on the 03 is $9,477 for its year, mileage, installed options, so right off the bat I can go in negotiating. My logic is:

08 - Everything I want (though ideally is prefer off road trd for the locker, but I also like the TRD sports, nice interiors), looks to be in great shape, at least cosmetically. Wouldn't really need to do anything to it besides what I want to customize it with (wheels, and probabaly a small lift) but also that is right at, if not slightly above, my preferred $400/mo total budget, leaving not much room TO do some customizing. Insurance will be $158/mo, as I already called my insurance for quotes on both.

03 - Also everything I want, but clearly not as good cosmetically. However, with a $9,800 tag fm a private seller, and it's listed above KBB value already, there's room to negotiate so I could probabaly get it for lower. Any ideas what would be a good starting counter-offer? I want to go lower, but I don't want to go too low to offend the seller, or say a price too high when he may have taken lower. No matter what itll probabaly be about $100-150 less/month (insurance on this one will be $115, so already $45-ish less right there) which means I can start adding stuff to it right away. It needs black wheels, definitely do something with the stereo/speakers, & probabaly a small lift, plus replace rear bumper and other little cosmetic flaws (like that cracked marker light).

I can't decide, because I really like both. I prefer the look of the 1st gens stock,
    But once you lift and change out the wheels/tires, the 2nd gens look SO aggressive haha. And of course 2nd gen interiors are WAY better than 1st (1sts aren't bad, just much prefers 2nds). But the 03 is a lot cheaper so $ can go towards making it extra bad*ss in the immediate future, whereas the 08 will be "saving up" for additions.

I know ultimately it comes down to my choice, and seeing which I like better in person/after a test drive, but what does everyone else think? If you were me, looking for the specs I listed in the budget I have? Would you go for the newer one that would probabaly stay stock for quite some time, or the older one (even given its cosmetic blemishes) that you could start doing stuff to fairly quickly?

2. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Go with the 2nd gen, you know you'll want to mod it plus the sports have a stronger rear axle when you do decide to throw the locker in.

3. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    First gen would be sweet but the 2 gen have a bit more room which is nice

4. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM
    sofiasdad11

sofiasdad11 Reads more than posts

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Near the Windy City, but in the country
    Vehicle:
    2011 BLACK 4X4 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Flux capacitor (2nd gen version), toytec ultimate liftkit, amp research powersteps, custom katzkin heated leather incl. console cover, retraxpro retractable bed cover, earnhardt jr. cannons@18x9(summer),ballistic jesters@18x9 (winter),285/60/18 nitto grapplers, bodymatched bushwackers, the original Homertaco full satoshi " raptor" grill, viper 5704 remote/smart-start/alarm w/viper cellulor app, ravelco anti-theft device, ipcw tails, redline hoodstruts, oem roof rack, led maps/dome, backup light mod, swingcase storage box, jl audio stealthbox and amps,focal drivers,alpine carplay unit, pop&lock premium handle, seatbelt chime disabled, tailgate hoseclamp mod, rich evans caliper covers, weathertech digitalfit mats, flyzeye V2W,oem bedmat, salex console organizer,speeddawg shiftknob
    As an appreciative 2nd-gener, must lean to the current model. Alas, first-gens have an outstanding rep. Either way, it's a Tacoma :D

5. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM
    Agent 21

Member:
    This has Been my inner struggle for basically the whole search haha! It's been "I live the first gens, and they have excellent reputations, but the new ones are....NEWER, and have the same rep". I seriously love both gens. I wish the 2nds were SLIGHTLY less $. I really prefer their look once they're lifted and have new wheels, but a 2nd gen is already maxing out the budget so I wouldn't be doing that stuff anytime soon. Whereas the 1st gen is "cheap" enough to let me start playing with now lol.

6. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Geoff C

Geoff C Active Member

Member:
    If you could give me a 1st gen brand new off the lot today, I'd take it.

The price of the 1st gens made me go with 2nd. 10 grand for a 10 year old truck, no way.

7. Apr 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
    NorCalTRD

NorCalTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 Indigo Ink DCLB TRD Sport V6
    40% Front Tint, Viper 5704 Alarm, Steel Cable Dog Tie, Super Sexy Driver Mod
    Id say look more on craigslist.
    I looked for about a month and if you try hard you should be able to find a 06-09 TRD model prerunner for about 16-17.
    You also avoid dealer fees, taxes, etc doing this which definitely adds up

8. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    w00dy

w00dy Hey Now!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    North of the Wall
    Vehicle:
    03 dCab tURD
    BAMF kick out sliders, SkidRow skids,Pro Comp 7069, Kelly Safari TSR 285's, Elite front bumpa, OME 883 & Dakars w/ D6XL AAL, Nitro sport shocks, Eddie209 Soft topper, Satoshi, k&n fipk, Clarion vx400, Ultra Gauge, Debadgination mod
    Even as a lover of the 1st gens, I am leaning toward the 2nd gen. If I was you and had only to choose out of the above 2. I love 1st gens, but that particular 1st gen does nothing for me.

But my decision is not monetarily based. If I was choosing for budget reasoning, I would def choose the less expensive.
    Nothing worst than paying a payment that you hate paying.

I would say if you haven't 'fallen' for one of these trucks, then you haven't found the right one yet. Keep looking, they pop up everyday. Make a phone call to your local Toyota dealership. Make small talk with a salesman and give him a run down of what your looking for. Just don't give him a price range. Make him work the price into your range with out telling him what you want to spend. Make sense?

Good luck!

9. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    Drinknmolson

Drinknmolson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wheat Ridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 DCSB sport
    1. are you having to finance the truck either way? if so, get your financing lined up before making any offers as you don't want them to sell it out from under you.

2. are you planning on having anyone else ride with you? there is room for 2 in the 1st gen but your gonna be pushing it adding more (unless they are short)

I owned an 04 trd and loved it, would buy another if I could get away with it it's to small for 2 adults and 2 car seats for kids hence my '10 double cab. if you like the color, have limited amount of occupants and cash on hand go offer them 8500 and go from there. my 04 was just breaking in at 120k so if its been maintained your good to go (get a carfax) go to toyotaowners.com and search the VIN it should show maintenance done at the dealerships as well as recalls. I really like my 2nd gen, but I loved my 1st gen and if your looking to put your extra money intoa truck that red one (other than color) is a good place to start!

good luck!!!

10. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Get what you really want! Buyers remorse is a terrible thing to live with. Think down the road, the dollar spent must meet all needs for the life of your loan.

11. Apr 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    Agent 21

Member:
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

The only issue with Craigslist is the financing. My particular local credit union will only do a 48mo loan on cars 2007 and older. Looking at an 07 for $16-19,000 for a 4yr loan is way out of budget. Believe me, I wish it weren't, as I've seen some excellent 07s on CL for that range.

My thinking is I specifically like the 07-08 2nds, as the kinks of the new gen have 2 yrs to iron out (for example, motor mount issues), and all the added electronics like traction/stability control haven't been added yet. I'm not interested in that stuff. For one, it adds way more electrical components, which can (not saying they are, or even will be, an issue in Tacomas) lead to nightmares down the line, and also, driving is more fun, and has more potential to be fun, without them haha. So first gens are more affordable now, and I love those too, why not get a first gen now, and bythe time it's paid off in a few years it will still have good value as a nice down payment on a 2nd gen. Either the 07-08s will be much more affordable, or maybe I'll be in an even better position at work at can get a brand new one (never owned a new car, starting with a Tacoma I build would be an AWESOME first new car haha).

It's funny that you mentioned "falling" for one w00dy, I have another thread called "My Heartbreaking 1st gen buying story" (or something very close to that) over in the 1st gen forum, and it is all about "the one". Best one I've ever seen, toyota certified dealer 5mins from my house, fit the budget, had every spec and option I wanted, only 73k miles, clean CarFax, 2 owners from VA, so it wasn't exposed to northern winters and their terrible roads, and the interior, exterior, and underside were MINT........it sold a couple HOURS before I got there to test it and put a deposit down. I drove by in work vehicle around 1pm, it was still there, and when I got there at 5:05pm it was already sold.....that one hurt haha. It's the first one through this whole search that I instantly though "search over, that's my truck." most I find I look at, read the descriptions, check out the pictures, and I like em but I'm not "excited" about, if that makes sense. That Silver TRD I didn't shut up about and couldn't stop Thinkin about all that day, I was counting down til I could leave work, gettin really exciting on the drive to dealer, everything. I knew that was THE truck. And I think you're right, if I have to "convince" myself then it's probably not the right one.

Like the red 03, it's got everything I want, but it's kinda beat up, has "high" miles (Toyota or not, let's be honest, 136k miles is a LOT to pay $10,000 for, especially a 10yr old truck, but unfortuneately they're all priced real high), and definitely needs some TLC. Engine bay could be cleaned up, lots of rusting on clips and other stuff, the bumpers obviously, and I've yet to see underneath.

And the 08, I like it, but it really does max out my budget, and I'm not sure I "love" it. It feels like more of a consolation prize choice. Like "Well, it's real nice, but that grand prize is way better". I feel like if I AM going to really push my budget then I should have that feeling that the Silver TRD gave me, of just instantly jumping out at me and not being able to stop thinking about it.

I think part of me is rushing JUST to get one, cause I'm pretty sick of my current car, and summer is coming, and I've really wanted a Tacoma for years and years now. Just never seriously thought about ownership until last August-ish. So I feel like sometimes this search seems more "frantic" than anything. Doesn't help that my car is starting to break down, so any money I'm sinking into it is less money towards a truck, so I'm wanting to find one extra bad before something serious happens that costs a lot of money. Then I either blow a truck downpayment, or I'm vehicle-less til I find one, neither of which are ideal. So that has me feeling rushed, which is also stressful because I don't WANT to rush into it, I'm gonna have this for awhile, I want to love it, not feel stuck with it "because it was available" a few months down the line.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  12. Apr 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    goufcustom

goufcustom 7.62x63mm

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2021 4x4 TRD Sport DCLB
    I would go for the 2nd Gen, nothing against 1st Gens they are very nice, and the one you found looks pretty nice. But... keep shopping, the 2nd gen you found is an ok deal, even with the "sale price", it seems a little much, if it was a double cab then that price would seem right with those miles.

I bought my 06' in Sept of 2011 for $16,500 with 95k miles from a dealer, and it is a TRD OR Double Cab, with 4x4, in near new condition, with a tonneau cover and step bars, granted it doesnt have a cool skewp, but it is a great truck, took my wife and I about 4 months to find it for the right deal, because I wanted my monthly payment to be around $250 without insurance after my trade in (~$6k), and this was it, costs me $225 a month. But the wait was worth it, my trade in car (07' Pontiac G6) had steering column issues, so getting rid of it was a priority, but staying in budget was also a priority, so I had to wait for the right deal.

Also, I would recommend the double cab over the access cab, whenever I feel like the short bed is too small, I borrow my friends trailer and my hauling worries are gone, but people dont like riding on an open top landscape trailer...

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=112356663&listingRecNum=17&criteria=prMx%3D16000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20088%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22250%26rd%3D50%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D02864%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=109123356&listingRecNum=7&criteria=prMx%3D16000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20088%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22250%26rd%3D50%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D02864%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=113007055&listingRecNum=9&criteria=prMx%3D16000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20088%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22250%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D02864%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=111613981&listingRecNum=44&criteria=prMx%3D16000%26sf1Dir%3DDESC%26prMn%3D0%26mkId%3D20088%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22250%26rd%3D250%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice%26zc%3D02864%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national&listType=1

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  13. Apr 1, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    white08gt

white08gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tn
    Vehicle:
    05 dbl cab 4x4 sr5
    toytec lift, fj rims, a.r.e topper
    look up the price of the 2 trucks on Edmunds.com. 2003 seems way out of line for an average truck. be sure you enter all the options and 4x4, I came up with $5500 for a private sale in my zip code, yours maybe a little higher. I do not know of anybody that has been able to sell their truck for KBB or NADA prices. just my experience. good luck!

14. Apr 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    Partzguy

Partzguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    I would keep looking for the right one! I just bought a 2005 Access Cab Pre-runner TRD Off Road Auto V6 2WD with 76k for $14.5. The interior looks brand new, and the exterior is 9/10. Don't settle for less than what you want, there are deals to be found!

15. Apr 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
  16. Apr 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    charles leandro

charles leandro Well-Known Member

Member:
    north alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 perrunner dc sr5
    none
    try toyota dealer in smithfiel ri off 295 on rt 166 you could buy new at 400

17. Apr 1, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    The 2003 truck looks surprisingly clean inside. Only thing I'd be wary about any 1st gen in the northern states is frame rust. This is how the bumper looks on that truck. People complain about 2nd gen chrome bumper rusting. I'm not sure 1st gens' had better chrome:

[​IMG]

18. Apr 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    Agent 21

Member:
    I would LOVE to buy new, except $400 is my whole intended budget, so while the truck payment would work, I'd have no money budgeted for insurance. I was quoted at $115/mo for the 2003 and $157/mo for the '08, so I can only imagine what full coverage on a brand new Tacoma would be. But man would I love to be able to build my own. I go on sometimes and build em up and see haha. I built a TRD TX Baja Access a few nights ago, came to like $34,000 haha. Insurance is probabaly the size of another payment on that.

Yeah the rusting underneath is what I'm worried about. The frame was inspected and recoated in March 2011, but as another poster pointed out, it could have just hidden any existing issues.

It would be ideal to find one down south, but there are a lot of logistic issues with that. For one, travel $ comes out of truck money, which is especially bad if it turns out to be not as advertised, that's a lot worse than just driving a couple hours to have it be no good. I wish I COULD afford to fly somewhere to check one out and drive it back. Then again, if I could I could probabaly just afford a bit higher payment and find a newer truck locally lol. Also, when I do search down south (mainly Chesapeake, VA and Orlando/Daytona, FL and surrounding areas since I have family in those places and it's ease trip costs if I did find one, plus they could pre check it out for me), it seems as though most are Pre Runners or regular 2WD. Not nearly as many 4x4 results down south, at least for first gens.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  19. Apr 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    I posted in your other thread about getting a Taco...

How much do you have saved for a down payment, unless you get a 2013 model, there is not going to be 100% financing (basically new cars only, exceptional credit)...

You have a vehicle now, so keep looking....word of advise, looking for a clean 1st gen in your part of the Northeast is totally detrimental, heck I live in Virginia and worry about my frame even with limited salt used locally....you may have to budget a one way plane ticket, and drive back with your conquest...your financing options sound a bit limited for this kind of transaction...

Again, good luck on the search...

20. Apr 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    I personally would go for the second gen because its newer and fewer miles. You figure by the time you pay it off the 1st gen would potentially be 14-15 years old.

Products Discussed in

To Top