Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What rpm do you rev to when starting in 1st?

View Poll Results: At what rpm do you start off at (in traffic) not alone.
800-900 revs 14 20.90%
1100 revs-1500 revs 17 25.37%
1600-2000 revs 7 10.45%
2100-2500 revs 5 7.46%
whatever rev gets me going in given circumstance 23 34.33%
whatever rev gets me going fast enough that people don't honk or cut me off 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
willowattack is on a distinguished road

Name: Kale
willowattack's Tacoma Gallery
Had to be that guy sorry. haha. Seriously though, depends on how slow traffic is moving, or fast. Sometimes I ease the clutch in and out to keep a slow steady at like 800-900 rpm, barely over 1000. or rev up to 1300 maybe more.. no dumping at 2500 though haha
Old 04-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #22
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
In my wrangler, if I'm having fun I rev it to about 4500...
I usually did about 8000 in my corolla.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I usually did about 8000 in my corolla.
Jeep would blow up...
Old 04-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
Jeep would blow up...
4age FTW
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the situation. If im driving up a hill i go to 3000 otherwise i dont have enough power in 2nd to get going quick enough. Also when i run bigger tires i have to rev it higher to get the truck going. Ive always thought it would be hard on the engine if its struggling and your pumping more gas than it can actually use.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #26
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Depends on the situation. If im driving up a hill i go to 3000 otherwise i dont have enough power in 2nd to get going quick enough. Also when i run bigger tires i have to rev it higher to get the truck going. Ive always thought it would be hard on the engine if its struggling and your pumping more gas than it can actually use.
I think he's talking about before letting the clutch out from a stop.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #27
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I think he's talking about before letting the clutch out from a stop.
Oh i see. Basically what clutch/gas ration you use when starting in 1st gear.

I usually pump the gas while letting out the clutch. Spend very little time riding it.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #28
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Like damn near 2k my clutch is just about done at 220k. Very little play.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #29
IKA fabrications
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
over 9000
And then dump the clutch
Old 04-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #30
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
But I now have an LS1 and a T56 with 3.90 rear gears so I dont even need 1st gear.
Showoff
Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 AM   #31
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I bang into the rev limiter backing out of the driveway
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #33
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
Why are people so afraid of first gear?
First is the worst, second is the best, and third is the one with........

I never really pay attention but I would say on average it is just over 1000. I usually feather the throttle when letting up on the clutch. If it feels like I'm dogging it then adjust accordingly.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #34
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
I don't rev at all, just feel the clutch start to engage and then give it gas.

Revving to 2000 rpm and then releasing the clutch is doing it wrong. Expect a short clutch life.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #35
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
over 9000
Lmfao..
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #36
Damn dirty Swede
EricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricTheRed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric Sven
EricTheRed's Tacoma Gallery
Typically I would gently let the clutch out until it begins to grab whilst feathering the gas pedal...I've driven stick my entire life and never had a clutch go out on me prematurely.

...since picking up my Taco it's been...strange. I got it with 135,000km (about 84,000 miles) and if I use my usual method the entire truck begins vibrating violently. In order to smoothly roll out from a stop, I have to rev that sucker and ride the clutch to about 2500-3000 rpm. Oddly enough, it only happens when everything is really warmed up (after driving for around 20 minutes or so)...when the truck is cold, I can drive it like normal.

.......any suggestions?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #37
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
I have big tires too, maybe that's why I naturally give it about 2000 revs when starting off. When I let out the clutch it goes down to about 1300 then back up, I don't think I'm hurting anything.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #38
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

Revving to 2000 rpm and then releasing the clutch is doing it wrong. Expect a short clutch life.
Anything less and I get either a slow start, or unwanted vibrations. Its a 4cl, + I have big tires... 2000 gets me going fast enough that I won't feel like the slowest guy on the road and the guy behind me won't get pissed off.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #39
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post

x9999