Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What rpm do you rev to when starting in 1st?

View Poll Results: At what rpm do you start off at (in traffic) not alone.
800-900 revs 14 20.90%
1100 revs-1500 revs 17 25.37%
1600-2000 revs 7 10.45%
2100-2500 revs 5 7.46%
whatever rev gets me going in given circumstance 23 34.33%
whatever rev gets me going fast enough that people don't honk or cut me off 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #41
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
I don't rev at all, just feel the clutch start to engage and then give it gas.

Revving to 2000 rpm and then releasing the clutch is doing it wrong. Expect a short clutch life.
x9999
Old 04-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #43
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGralnic View Post
I have big tires too, maybe that's why I naturally give it about 2000 revs when starting off. When I let out the clutch it goes down to about 1300 then back up, I don't think I'm hurting anything.
Exactly. I just dont like when it drops below 1000 rpm when i get into 2nd gear.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #44
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

worthywads's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Exactly. I just dont like when it drops below 1000 rpm when i get into 2nd gear.
I think you are talking a different situation. We are talking when getting started in first gear. Reving to 2000 or 3000 after getting moving is okay. Revving to 2000 and then starting to engage the clutch is not the right way.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #45
worthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shedworthywads is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What about when my engine is cold- idling at 2500
Not much choice there. I only see around 1900 rpm in the cold.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #46
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
When starting in 1st at 2000 when i engage the clutch the rpm drops to just a little over 1000. i don't feather the clutch at 2000. i raise the rpm to 2000, let off the clutch briskly enough that it drops the rpms low- but not low enough to vibrate or want to stall. never do i maintain an rpm of 2000 when releasing the clutch.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthywads View Post
Not much choice there. I only see around 1900 rpm in the cold.
yeah i don't live in a cold area (southern cali) and my rpms are extremely high when the engine is cold. I'll have to start another thread asking if there is an adjustment somewhere that i can do myself. 2500 is a normal cold idle for my truck atm.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
When starting in 1st at 2000 when i engage the clutch the rpm drops to just a little over 1000. i don't feather the clutch at 2000. i raise the rpm to 2000, let off the clutch briskly enough that it drops the rpms low- but not low enough to vibrate or want to stall. never do i maintain an rpm of 2000 when releasing the clutch.
you're killing your clutch. it's much better to keep the RPM's bellow or at 1000 and let the clutch out a little slower.

I actually looked at the tach for the first time ever today and I get as low as 600rpm for a split second when starting off. No vibrations or anything.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #49
I get vibrations at about 850-900 No weight in the bed, no trailer, maybe our gearing is different. i only have 75,000 on the truck.. i keep the engine perfectly maintained and have never once abused it. ive accidentally reved it up high thinking i was in gear, but thats it. I had my flywheel resurfaced when i had a clutch TSB 7,000 miles ago. can that cause a difference in the way the clutch/engine reacts to low rpm?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #50
braaap

Quote:
I get vibrations at about 850-900 No weight in the bed, no trailer, maybe our gearing is different. i only have 75,000 on the truck.. i keep the engine perfectly maintained and have never once abused it. ive accidentally reved it up high thinking i was in gear, but thats it. I had my flywheel resurfaced when i had a clutch TSB 7,000 miles ago. can that cause a difference in the way the clutch/engine reacts to low rpm?
Nah it's probably just because you have a 4cyl and I have a V6. You just have to give it more revs due to lack of torque. I've also heard the 2nd gen manuals are really jerky and tough to drive smooth compared to the 1st gens, not sure why that would be but that could be your problem.

Only 4cyl trucks I've driven have been a Nissan hardbody 4x4 and a GMC sonoma so no taco experience. With those I didn't have to rev above 1k to take off, plenty of torque.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 AM   #51
Tonight I tried reving at low rpms. I just need to get in the habit because after some practice I can smoothly start out with 1000 or less rpms (as I practice ill go lower comfortably). My 4cl did fine, the uncomfortable vibrations were from being too used to letting the clutch off rather fast. When slowed down, I can easily start with little to no throttle. I learned this today in a drive thru! Lol!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #52
braaap

Quote:
Tonight I tried reving at low rpms. I just need to get in the habit because after some practice I can smoothly start out with 1000 or less rpms (as I practice ill go lower comfortably). My 4cl did fine, the uncomfortable vibrations were from being too used to letting the clutch off rather fast. When slowed down, I can easily start with little to no throttle. I learned this today in a drive thru! Lol!
your clutch will thank you.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Now you're gettin' it.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #54
Timberland Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Timberland Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about when my engine is cold- idling at 2500
i always let my truck warm up untill the rpms drop to near normal. idk thats just me.

i usually pump the gas as i release, heavier pumpage on incline etc... i drive better when i dont think about it
Old 04-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #55
Now my only problem is I know I am burning my poor clutch when backing up my trailer uphill in between 2 cars...I'm not pro enough to be able to park my trailer fast enough that I can let the clutch all the way out.... my dad is a 25 year ASE master certified mechanic so whenever my clutch does go oj me all I need are parts. But still.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #56
My rpms are weird when cold. Sometimes they go to about 1900, sometimes they go up to 2500 briely, then drop after about 5 or 6 seconds. What I do is let it drive itself in 1st through my neigborhood without touching the gas or shifting and that warms her up prety quickly
Old 04-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #57
ssault will become famous soon enoughssault will become famous soon enough
ssault's Tacoma Gallery
No option for bouncing it off the rev limiter and dropping the clutch?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #58
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Teaching my daughter how to drive a manual .... DO NOT touch the gas pedal whatsoever - leave it idling , let the clutch out without stalling the engine in 1st and reverse . If you were lucky enough to learn this way , you were taught properly
Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #59
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
2500-3500 . 2nd gen 4cyl.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #60
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO View Post
All my vehicles have been manual trans and I've never once watched to see what rpm I'm at to start off or change gears, all by ear and feel. Feel the clutch start to catch add some gas and drive off....
x2, but I will look next time. Only time I pay attention to RPMs is between gears, I love watching the tach rise and fall.