LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Cover Options

Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
TacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
TacOffRoad11's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Cover Options

Due to an unexpected bonus from work, I am in the market for a cover. My dilemma is I'm not sure real sure what I want. Some background. I really don't use the bed that much. If needed, I have a 16 foot trailer that I pull when I need something from Home Depot or need mulch or something. I'm leaning towards an ARE LSII but just want some opinions/thoughts on what other people have and what would look best on my Taco.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
mrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
mrsteve's Tacoma Gallery
I really like my BakFlip

Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
stewbag15 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: EOD/Armourer/Retired....
Name: Stew
stewbag15's Tacoma Gallery
Extang - Trifecta for me. Had it 4 years, love it..
Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
TacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacOffRoad11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsteve View Post
I really like my BakFlip

How well does it keep water out?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite. Doesn't fold all the way up like the Bakflip but it opens on both ends and locks on both ends. Mine lets a few drops of water in but not much.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
mrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to beholdmrsteve is a splendid one to behold

mrsteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacOffRoad11 View Post
How well does it keep water out?
I've had it for a year and never had a real problem. It comes with poly tubing so you can drain the cover through holes in the bed but I have never bothered to connect them.

Would I drive around in a rain storm with a 60" TV in the bed under it? Not likely. But really, it's a non-issue.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
ThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud of
ThomasMore66's Tacoma Gallery
So are you guys with the BakFlip missing access to your bed rack system? I had a BakFlip on my Tundra and loved it, but I didn't have this cool little rack for using the tie-downs. I really like that. But I'd also like to have my BakFlip again. Decisions.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
G4 lets you use the rack system still.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
stea is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: retired
stea's Tacoma Gallery
Love my G4
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK
Brendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrendo Ballz808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BRENDEN
Brendo Ballz808's Tacoma Gallery
Don't they have a soft folding one too that doesn't show the folding lines like the hard one ?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #12

mrsteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMore66 View Post
So are you guys with the BakFlip missing access to your bed rack system? I had a BakFlip on my Tundra and loved it, but I didn't have this cool little rack for using the tie-downs. I really like that. But I'd also like to have my BakFlip again. Decisions.
Not really. There are 4 tie-down loops in the bed in addition to the ones that you lose in the rails. I've managed to haul snow blowers, waterfowl blinds, paint sprayers, lawnmowers, and other large tools using those 4 points without a problem.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #13
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Have the Bakflip. No issues with leaks and I also didn't connect the tubing. You do have access to the front cleats and there are the bed D-rings in the rear. Combined with a tailgate lock, there is no access to open the cover.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
Pro skier
skiomax is on a distinguished road

Canadian Army:
skiomax's Tacoma Gallery
I also have the Extang Solid Fold look at my profile pic you can see what it look like on a short box
Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
ThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud ofThomasMore66 has much to be proud of
ThomasMore66's Tacoma Gallery
So what do you Extang/G4 guys do if you need to carry something that takes up the whole bed?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
forana will become famous soon enoughforana will become famous soon enough
forana's Tacoma Gallery
I have the bakflip and love it. Does let a bit of water in but not much. Only drawback is that it covers your rails. I did install a D-ring on each bolt for the bakflip track and that helps a lot. I hate not being able to install a bed rack but the bakflip trumps that.

BEWARE, the bakflip isn't really secure at all. Even with tailgate lock all you need is a simple clothes hangar and you can open up the bed in about 3 seconds if you slide it between the top of tail gate and bakflip. I'm looking into riveting a short plate to the bakflip underside to prevent this from happening.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Deathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeathproofduck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Deathproofduck's Tacoma Gallery
Undercover and i love it. Opens like a trunk, perfect for shopping. I keep a plastic tote in the back to hold grocery bags or whatever. I can take it off and put it back on by myself in less than 5 min. The damn this is so sturdy that you could have 3 linemen dance on it, and i havent seen a drop of water in my bed.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
TXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the roughTXPROMAN is a jewel in the rough

Name: Martin
TXPROMAN's Tacoma Gallery

You have to drill out for drain hose to keep water out.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathproofduck View Post
Undercover and i love it. Opens like a trunk, perfect for shopping. I keep a plastic tote in the back to hold grocery bags or whatever. I can take it off and put it back on by myself in less than 5 min. The damn this is so sturdy that you could have 3 linemen dance on it, and i havent seen a drop of water in my bed.
I like my Undercover too - my only complaint is that although I can remove / replace it by myself it doesn't store that easily when off.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #20

Thanks for all the input..Sadly, it just makes my choice that much harder.

Products Discussed in this Thread