Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tonneaus - vinyl vs metal hard tops

Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
jaymay82 is on a distinguished road
jaymay82's Tacoma Gallery
Tonneaus - vinyl vs metal hard tops

I had a pace Edwards jackrabbit tonneau cover on my 05 access cab. Loved it but now looking for something different and less expensive for my 2013.

Narrowed down my choices to the Bakflip VP and the Bakflip fibermax. Looking at these because they flip completely to the rear glass for full bed use. Which really helps now that I have a short bed.

I like the VP for the seamless no show folds. The con is that it's a hard top layered with vinyl which takes constant maintenance to keep it looking new.

I like the fibermax because its a non vinyl hard top. But the folds show on the top.

Anyone have any experiences with these covers? If all else fails I may go back to the PE jackrabbit.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
You're pretty much at the same fork in the road I am at right now with my truck. I have always like the smooth look of a vinyl cover, but I like the durability and strength of the hard covers. You're going to have your advocates of both, and most of em are going to push for what they currently have or what they are biased towards. All comes down to what ya want man. Honestly, I have had 2 soft, tri-folding covers on my old trucks. Though I like the smooth look, I am going with the Extang solid tri-fold top once I can free up the extra funds to buy one.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
I 've been happy with the Bakflip HD on mine. Had it for 3 yrs and has held up and use my bed quite a bit to haul. Love the fold up for full bed access and easy clean with the aluminum shell. Don't know about the other versions but I did lose the side cleats due to how it installs in the rail system but you can add D-rings in the bolts for tie-down points. The front cleats are useable. I added a tailgate lock so there is no access to the bed because the Bakflip cable latch is under the cover by the tailgate. I don't mind the rubber seams on mine but that seamless vinyl looks clean. I would be worried about possible fold lines developing in the vinyl with use over time though.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymay82 View Post
I had a pace Edwards jackrabbit tonneau cover on my 05 access cab. Loved it but now looking for something different and less expensive for my 2013.

Narrowed down my choices to the Bakflip VP and the Bakflip fibermax. Looking at these because they flip completely to the rear glass for full bed use. Which really helps now that I have a short bed.

I like the VP for the seamless no show folds. The con is that it's a hard top layered with vinyl which takes constant maintenance to keep it looking new.

I like the fibermax because its a non vinyl hard top. But the folds show on the top.

Anyone have any experiences with these covers? If all else fails I may go back to the PE jackrabbit.
Both are good choices. Check out some other forum websites and read some of their reviews on the covers.

Don't forget about the undercover Flex. I've heard some good things about that cover as well. The cover doesnt rest on your window when folede up either.

I'd go with the VP if I were you. The new vinyl tops do not require as much maintenance as you would think now days. You also get a water tight seal with the vinyl top and it just looks sharp!

Just be aware these cover are very easy to break into on a tacoma.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #5
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to consider too with the hard folding tonneau's, which I have recently come to discover: apparently the paint does not stay on the aluminum tops as easily as you would think. I am not saying they are prone to chip or scatch but I have read numerous accounts of the paint coming off on the hard folding tonneaus.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #6
jaymay82 is on a distinguished road
jaymay82's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone for the replies. I may just go with another Pace Edwards Jackrabbit.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Question for anyone out there: If the backflip rests on the cab, is there any way it could sratch or scuff the paint on it?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
Tcomaboy is on a distinguished road
Name: BakFlip customer service SUCKS
Tcomaboy's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Bakflip g2 and its saved me a few times having the use of my entire bed.... Yes it'll flip all the way and rest on the cab but foam rubber prevents it from touching the cab