Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #181
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyjon View Post
Haha Skunkman sorry- the hood rests atop a resting truck that was once mine.

VW/Audi were plagued by electrical issues in the 90s and early 2000's - from what I have heard from people who have purchased VW/Audi's in the past 2-3 years they have had no problems. It's hard to come back from bad rep like that - it's still a concern and its an important factor to consider. Consider this - the tacomas had an unknown with their frames when I purchased mine but I had faith that they resolved the issues.

The tacoma is a legendary truck - it is not an easy decision to move away from one. The Golf R is a completely different animal - it is the drivetrain from an Audi TT-S, the frame design is similar (but slightly heavier) - and it uses the same AWD system as the Lambo Aventador Ala Quattro (4-motion) haldrex. topped with a 4 door hatch which makes it practical. Torn is an understatement.

For the money - I can get the VW for 3-5 more depending on what I could talk the price down on the Tacoma as I want it (loaded) - the interior of the VW is a very nice place - fit and finish is some of the best. I know these things are designed to do two very different things - but when it comes down to it I don't tow anything, I think I have used the truck bed 3-4 times the entire time I have owned it - which makes it hard to justify the 17 mpg avg I was getting (the VW was getting 24 mpg city when I was driving it heavy footed.

I only put on 10-11k miles a year avg, when you add the insurance check Im getting,I am getting a brand new 37+k car for 14k (what I would finance). Add low APR rates right now and it makes this a tough call. Do I pay 8K for a new taco that stickers around 32k or go for the sporty little hatch.

Anyone who thinks this is a easy choice is nuts - I don't think I could go to the dealer and finance a 37K car (something about that would bug me - too expensive for one) but because I'm getting this big check this puts that car in my reach. If that makes sense.

Tough one for sure.

-Corey
Man, i'm in a similar situation. I totaled my truck about two weeks ago and have been debating what to get next. I hate making these kinds of decisions!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #182
Skunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the roughSkunkman is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Skunkman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Corey, glad you made out alright with that deal. Too bad you had to go through that much crap to make the other guys insurance company do what was right in the first place. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #183
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
what vehicles are you looking at? Did you use your truck as a truck? I didn't but - I'm just thinking the way the universe goes, I'll get the car and then all of a sudden need a truck. It's a tough one.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #184
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Many of my hobbies require hauling gear around - mountain biking, fishing, camping, etc. I'm also at the age where i'm doing a lot of moving, so having a truck definitely helps with that. I'm 99% sure i'm getting another tacoma, i'm just trying to decide which model at this point. If it weren't for me being such an outdoorsman, i'd probably buy a car. I'm curious, how much did your truck depreciate (what you bought it for minus what insurance is giving you)? I had my truck for six years, bought it for 25k OTD and insurance is giving me 22k. I was shocked how well it held its value.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #185
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

The sticker was 29 (almost 30k) TRD sport SR5 Tow Package in early 2008 (same truck now stickers for over 32k) 5 years later I am getting a hair shy of 25k. It only had 57000 miles on it and it was in excellent condition.

I have a road bike and outdoor gear too, and a ton of flight gear I carry around - plenty of room in the R, and if I don't like chucking the bike in the back with the seat down I can always get a roof rack. After paying off the loan I'll have about 23k-ish to put down on something.

I'm sure I could talk them down to 30ish for the tacoma as I want it, (so 32-33k after tax). The R will be 5k above that. but again it is a Audi-TTS with a 4 door hatch body.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #186

The tacoma held it's value amazingly. Nothing but love and respect for the truck.

The VW Golf R should do the same, made in Wolfsburg, Germany - only 5000 released for the NA market. only come out every 4 years or so.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #187
hetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant futurehetkind has a brilliant future
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
My Tacoma hauls stuff in the bed many times a week, on the other hand, my wife recently parked her 08 Wrangler Sahara for a '13 Subaru WRX five speed. If you don't need a pickup, don't get one.

But, around the property, the 68 Dodge pickup hauls the brush, firewood, mulch, wood chips, soil and all the dirty stuff.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:12 AM   #188

I plan on building a house in the next few years, that said I could always get a old tacoma to have as a light work/property truck to grab supplies from lowes, etc. Also In 3 years or so If I need to move back to the truck I'm sure I could sell the VW and get the new diesel tacoma (Come on Toyota!).
Old 04-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #189
Token

Quote:
The sticker was 29 (almost 30k) TRD sport SR5 Tow Package in early 2008 (same truck now stickers for over 32k) 5 years later I am getting a hair shy of 25k. It only had 57000 miles on it and it was in excellent condition.

I have a road bike and outdoor gear too, and a ton of flight gear I carry around - plenty of room in the R, and if I don't like chucking the bike in the back with the seat down I can always get a roof rack. After paying off the loan I'll have about 23k-ish to put down on something.

I'm sure I could talk them down to 30ish for the tacoma as I want it, (so 32-33k after tax). The R will be 5k above that. but again it is a Audi-TTS with a 4 door hatch body.

That's great - I was under the impression that only the 4x4s held their value this well, so I was shocked when I was told i'd be getting back 90+% of what i paid for it. If I had the money, i'd definitely buy a 4 runner trail, but they are a bit too much $$$ and I don't want to pay too much out of pocket. I'm looking forward to seeing what vehicle you choose!
Old 04-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #190

put $500 down for the Golf R got the car 500 above invoice (being a limited run car - wasn't going any lower).

Something tells me though that I won't be gone from the Tacoma world for too long though - once that diesel tacoma comes out it may either replace, or simply join the stable. (Fast Car + small/midsize diesel truck = perfecto)

Don't hate me too much guys - just wanted to switch it up a bit for a while and seeing as someone was nice enough to hit me and total the truck I had the opportunity.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #191
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
put $500 down for the Golf R got the car 500 above invoice (being a limited run car - wasn't going any lower).

Something tells me though that I won't be gone from the Tacoma world for too long though - once that diesel tacoma comes out it may either replace, or simply join the stable. (Fast Car + small/midsize diesel truck = perfecto)

Don't hate me too much guys - just wanted to switch it up a bit for a while and seeing as someone was nice enough to hit me and total the truck I had the opportunity.
Like you said, getting that much for your truck gave you a chance to do it. Not the same, but I had no trade in 6 yrs ago and bought my Chevy truck. I traded it last year on my 2010 Tacoma that had 6k on it.

@Fluffymonkey..2wd is still a Toyota LOL. The average bear who doesn't take it offroad wouldn't care unless they live in the snowbelt, but even at that I barely used the 4x4 in my Chevy. My 2 wheel Tacoma was fine in the snow this winter and we got a few storms.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #192
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
Total it, get payout, buy back from ins. company, build off road rig, buy new tacoma for DD. WIN
Old 08-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #194
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coast2Coast View Post
Total it, get payout, buy back from ins. company, build off road rig, buy new tacoma for DD. WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmon420 View Post
hopefully they total it, so that you could get a new one.
The thread is 4 months old... Just a few posts above the OP's Taco was totaled out and he got himself a new Golf R.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #196
Coast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoast2Coast is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast2Coast's Tacoma Gallery
lol. My bad....
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #197
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
Lol. It has happened to everyone at least once
Old 08-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #198
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
Man the pics in this thread made me want to cry. It hurts to see a taco in that shape, I'm glad they totaled it though. Good job for putting up a fight fix it right or dont fix it!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #199
camojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the roughcamojared is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jared
camojared's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If Toyota made a diesel Tacoma it would be the last vehicle I would own.