LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #41
nimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura aboutnimrod712 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jonathan
nimrod712's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, that sucks!
I don't think they'll total it though. Looks like you could replace the rearend, leafs, shocks, bedside, a wheel and tires, maybe the bumper, apparently the gas tank/fuel lines, slap a little paint on it, and be done. Of course, I would make them prove to me that the frame is not bent. I wouldn't trust anybody. I think the shop will understand, and if they don't, then they are not a good shop in my opinion. If the frame is bent in any way, I would push for a total. It could possibly be straightened, but then you have weak points on an already weak rear frame.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #42
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Corpsman
Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
It sucks it got hit. Dont listed to the guys saying it wont ride the same again . They are making ridiculous statements of fact without examining all the information. If the frame took no damage it will drive exactly as it did before. Dont write the old girl off yet.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #43
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coreyjon View Post
the rear left tire was punctured by the accident (no way to repair the tear in the sidewall). They have to replace at least a pair right? or because its a 4x4 they have to replace all 4? and the wheels took damage too, they were spotless before the accident so they are responsible for those as well (I kept that truck clean enough to eat off of, and there no scratches, only a few scuffs by the door handles caused by normal wear)

I too have geico but have never had to use it so - I can't comment on their ability to react to these things.
If t was the other drivers fault GEICO shouldn't have to get involved Unless you file a claim with them. The at fault drivers insurance should take care of everything. You may have to push for what you deserve. Make them make you happy!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #44
13Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
13Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Glad youre OK! IMO if frame is tweaked at all, push for total. No matter what they try and do it will never be right. Im sure you would hate to see it go but in the long run would be better. Good luck with everything..
Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 AM   #45
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
On these trucks, the critical item is this type of mishap is damage to the rear spring hangers. If those are bent or torn off (left rear spring front hanger in this case) the frame needs to be replaced.

I am interested in what the adjustor has to say.

Howard
Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #46
Northern Alliance: Airlift Div
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Air Force: Flight Engineer
Coreyjon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
If t was the other drivers fault GEICO shouldn't have to get involved Unless you file a claim with them. The at fault drivers insurance should take care of everything. You may have to push for what you deserve. Make them make you happy!

Oh - I know about all that - I called Geico to let them now what happened, so that incase something goes pear shaped they have an internal claim number and state farms claim number. State Farm has already said that they are taking full responsibility.

Hetkind, do you work for Toyota? I only ask because you seem to be very sure of that, I wasn't aware that there was no ability to replace leaf spring hangers, I understand that if enough torque and force were applied to sheer the spring/hanger off that the probability of enough transferred force to twist the frame exists.

As far as the rear end, taking that side load - if they don't write for a new one (assuming it isn't totaled) then I plan on having them tear everything apart. As a flight engineer not being able to see damage is not = to there not being damage. as far as the transmission goes, I did not look up underneath to inspect the carrier bearing mount to see what kind of force was transferred.

If the frame was untouched in a perfect world - new springs (including the AAL) tires and wheels, new quarter panel, fuel tank, brake lines, rear end possibly, repair left aft cab to include rocker panel and passenger door, paint, labor, rental car, plus all the things I can't see yet - just with the damage from being rear ended the other day was maybe 1/4 of this, and it was close to 5.5k.

I have my camera ready, when their adjuster gets there, I plan on being there if possible taking pictures and documenting everything. What else should I be doing, I want to cover all my bases to insure that I am taken care of. Anybody have any experience with making a claim for diminished value in New York?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #47
Motorshooter
Motorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of lightMotorshooter is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: IC2 SS
Motorshooter's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to read you're OK, that sucks about the crash
Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #48
Coreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud ofCoreyjon has much to be proud of

Went over there and took some more pictures, about 100 or so to document the damage better - so here is some more of the carnage, this time in HD.
Attached Thumbnails
Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.-truck-smash4.jpg   Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.-trucksmash5.jpg   Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.-trucksmash6.jpg   Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.-trucksmash7.jpg   Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.-trucksmash8.jpg  

Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.-trucksmash9.jpg   Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.-trucksmash10.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #49
Crosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrosis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Man thats just sad
Old 04-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #50

A couple of things, you.gif in your signature is freaking me out a bit, that aside -

I noticed new stress cracks on the aft driver side bed quarter panel near the bumper caused by the impact. Where the composite bed mounts to the frame, the tab that supports the metal support to the quarter panel is cracked. So - I think that means a composite bed replacement as I'm not going to let that get glued or any such craziness. The brake lines are pulled/stretched but did not break but those are going to need to be replaced as well. The emergency brake line is broken/severed and where it mounts into the rear axle is severely knackered.

Still waiting for the state farm adjuster.

I hate this waiting game
Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #51

Crosis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
A couple of things, you.gif in your signature is freaking me out a bit, that aside -

Yeah its oddly disturbing.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #52
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosis View Post
Yeah its oddly disturbing.

make it go away
Old 04-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #53
hetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nicehetkind is just really nice
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
No, I do not work for Toyota, but the wisdom of the list states that Toyota does NOT have a repair procedure for rear spring hangers and if the rear spring hangers are damaged, then the frame is non-repairable.

Best of luck...

Howard
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #54
KJaikaran will become famous soon enough
KJaikaran's Tacoma Gallery
The rear leaf hanger is technically considered part of the frame even thought it is only riveted in. I thought mine was damaged in my accident and searched everywhere for the rear leaf hanger, but couldn't find one. Come to find out its considered to be apart of the frame from Toyota. The rear hangers can come off, just the same way people with the shackle flip kits get them off to install the flip kits, but if yours is damaged you would want that to be your argument to getting it totaled. If they are out of alignment your leaf springs will not sit at the correct angle and it will not sit right on the rear axle. If you try and get it aligned your numbers will always be off.

I am assuming since your rear axle twisted out of place you passenger side leaf springs probably took a good amount of pressure on them also.

I think if the damage is over 80% of what the vehicle is worth it will automatically be wrecked out. I could be off on that number, but you also have to factor in the check your supposed to get from the other persons insurance company for the depreciated value the truck.

Best of luck...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #55
Mr.Gadget is on a distinguished road

Mr.Gadget's Tacoma Gallery
Need to remember that there are a lot of parts that get replaced as a set.
You will not have them replase on shock or spring and not the other.
The wheels, any marks and any hit they will be replaced, they are alloy and hard to see a crack around the lugs or bead. The tires, should be replaced as a pair or a full set pending the size and miles on them, it is a 4x4.
The axle, it would take them a lot of time to pull it apart and check everything to see if there is a bend, on a hit like that, they should replace it.
Drive shaft should be replaced, Again, to test it or have a problem after the fact would cost $$.
The gas tank and other small parts would need to be replaced.
Then you have the rental car for several weeks...

I bet it is a total as the year and amount of damage. I bet the total cost to them would be north of 15k to 18K.
It would be better to just try and cut you a check and get it over fast.

I have seen stuff like this, guy living next to me, they wanted to rebuild it, they did, but could never get it to drive and handle as it should.
After the rebuild and more money, to try they paid him off and sold it off.

Some times it is not about the total est cost but the time and total risk and need to close the case.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #56
lpfm1990 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
lpfm1990's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lpfm1990
Wow that sucks man, I'd push to have it totaled. Hate to see a taco to. But at that damage it just won't be right again, going to something somewhere that just is bad/wrong. I have came close to getting hit or loosing it in snow (crappy rugged fails that are going bye bye) the upside is a new truck!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #57
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
my 12 was totaled with frame damage.. the frame for a bouble cab short bed was 5k with another 5k of labor. so just for the framework 10k.. then add your body work and paint/ panal replacement.. cost goes up big time.. add diminished value.. and you have a total.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #58
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
Maybeif it was new, theyd drop the cash to fix, but being an 08, they MAY total it...espicially if the frame is tweaked...at least I'd want them to...
Agreed.
Really sucks, OP- but I'm glad you're okay. I hope things work out in your favor.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #59

Just heard - all state is not totaling it (not yet anyway)

7K - thats all the adjuster could see ( I met him, he wasn't blind, so that only leaves one thing).

He didn't write for a new wheel (which is scratched to hell, no telling structural yet), only one tire (the tires have 27-30k miles on them, so I would think with that kind of wear that putting only one on is a bad / no juju for 4 wheel drive, especially the rear with limited slip differential.

He missed the broken e-brake cable, the brake cables (stretched), and thats just a quick glance. He also wants the plastic tab on the bed where the metal support for the quarter panel attaches to to be repaired and not replace the bed (can't say I'm too thrilled about a plastic repair).

53-55 hours of work, at 7k - just the bumper and rear quarter panel was $5700 and this is waaay way way way more damage. He also said my truck was worth $25k, now don't get me wrong, it was a 2008 with almost 58k miles, and in damn near perfect condition before the accident but and I know they hold their value but that seams 3 grand high or so.

They are shooting to get it on the frame jig Monday - and use plum bobs and measurements to insure the frame isn't bent/twisted. It's an old machine that does not give read outs, but they still have to write down the measurements correct? I want to make sure I get all documents stating the condition of the frame for protection.

they didn't write to replace the axle, but they are going to tear it down. I'm watching every step of this process like a hawk. like a chicken hawk.

All state low balled the damage and estimated too high the value of the truck, I can understand their logic (15k to fix is cheaper than 20-23k to total) but thats absurd that they are estimating this low to prevent it from going into the threshold of being totaled.

Any input? Who else has gone through this? What are my options???

$7k - we'll see what happens when the shop works of there first initial supplement.

-Corey
Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #60
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just heard - all state is not totaling it (not yet anyway)

7K - thats all the adjuster could see ( I met him, he wasn't blind, so that only leaves one thing).

He didn't write for a new wheel (which is scratched to hell, no telling structural yet), only one tire (the tires have 27-30k miles on them, so I would think with that kind of wear that putting only one on is a bad / no juju for 4 wheel drive, especially the rear with limited slip differential.

He missed the broken e-brake cable, the brake cables (stretched), and thats just a quick glance. He also wants the plastic tab on the bed where the metal support for the quarter panel attaches to to be repaired and not replace the bed (can't say I'm too thrilled about a plastic repair).

53-55 hours of work, at 7k - just the bumper and rear quarter panel was $5700 and this is waaay way way way more damage. He also said my truck was worth $25k, now don't get me wrong, it was a 2008 with almost 58k miles, and in damn near perfect condition before the accident but and I know they hold their value but that seams 3 grand high or so.

They are shooting to get it on the frame jig Monday - and use plum bobs and measurements to insure the frame isn't bent/twisted. It's an old machine that does not give read outs, but they still have to write down the measurements correct? I want to make sure I get all documents stating the condition of the frame for protection.

they didn't write to replace the axle, but they are going to tear it down. I'm watching every step of this process like a hawk. like a chicken hawk.

All state low balled the damage and estimated too high the value of the truck, I can understand their logic (15k to fix is cheaper than 20-23k to total) but thats absurd that they are estimating this low to prevent it from going into the threshold of being totaled.

Any input? Who else has gone through this? What are my options???

$7k - we'll see what happens when the shop works of there first initial supplement.

-Corey
How are they going to deal with the Spring perches? Hopefully once in the hands of mechanics and on the frame Jig they will laugh at the $7k figure, and tell insurance it will be a lot more than that.. IDK the rate of labor today but i imagine in the neighborhood of 70-100 per hour, that's ballpark $5000 in labor and only $2000 for parts...