1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Coreyjon, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    On these trucks, the critical item is this type of mishap is damage to the rear spring hangers. If those are bent or torn off (left rear spring front hanger in this case) the frame needs to be replaced.

I am interested in what the adjustor has to say.

Howard

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon [OP] Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.

Oh - I know about all that - I called Geico to let them now what happened, so that incase something goes pear shaped they have an internal claim number and state farms claim number. State Farm has already said that they are taking full responsibility.

Hetkind, do you work for Toyota? I only ask because you seem to be very sure of that, I wasn't aware that there was no ability to replace leaf spring hangers, I understand that if enough torque and force were applied to sheer the spring/hanger off that the probability of enough transferred force to twist the frame exists.

As far as the rear end, taking that side load - if they don't write for a new one (assuming it isn't totaled) then I plan on having them tear everything apart. As a flight engineer not being able to see damage is not = to there not being damage. as far as the transmission goes, I did not look up underneath to inspect the carrier bearing mount to see what kind of force was transferred.

If the frame was untouched in a perfect world - new springs (including the AAL) tires and wheels, new quarter panel, fuel tank, brake lines, rear end possibly, repair left aft cab to include rocker panel and passenger door, paint, labor, rental car, plus all the things I can't see yet - just with the damage from being rear ended the other day was maybe 1/4 of this, and it was close to 5.5k.

I have my camera ready, when their adjuster gets there, I plan on being there if possible taking pictures and documenting everything. What else should I be doing, I want to cover all my bases to insure that I am taken care of. Anybody have any experience with making a claim for diminished value in New York?

3. Apr 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    Went over there and took some more pictures, about 100 or so to document the damage better - so here is some more of the carnage, this time in HD.

truck smash4.jpg
    trucksmash5.jpg
    trucksmash6.jpg
    trucksmash7.jpg
    trucksmash8.jpg
    trucksmash9.jpg
    trucksmash10.jpg

4. Apr 4, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Man thats just sad:(

5. Apr 4, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    A couple of things, you.gif in your signature is freaking me out a bit, that aside -

I noticed new stress cracks on the aft driver side bed quarter panel near the bumper caused by the impact. Where the composite bed mounts to the frame, the tab that supports the metal support to the quarter panel is cracked. So - I think that means a composite bed replacement as I'm not going to let that get glued or any such craziness. The brake lines are pulled/stretched but did not break but those are going to need to be replaced as well. The emergency brake line is broken/severed and where it mounts into the rear axle is severely knackered.

Still waiting for the state farm adjuster.

I hate this waiting game :mad:

6. Apr 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road

Yeah its oddly disturbing.

7. Apr 5, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    No, I do not work for Toyota, but the wisdom of the list states that Toyota does NOT have a repair procedure for rear spring hangers and if the rear spring hangers are damaged, then the frame is non-repairable.

Best of luck...

Howard

8. Apr 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    The rear leaf hanger is technically considered part of the frame even thought it is only riveted in. I thought mine was damaged in my accident and searched everywhere for the rear leaf hanger, but couldn't find one. Come to find out its considered to be apart of the frame from Toyota. The rear hangers can come off, just the same way people with the shackle flip kits get them off to install the flip kits, but if yours is damaged you would want that to be your argument to getting it totaled. If they are out of alignment your leaf springs will not sit at the correct angle and it will not sit right on the rear axle. If you try and get it aligned your numbers will always be off.

I am assuming since your rear axle twisted out of place you passenger side leaf springs probably took a good amount of pressure on them also.

I think if the damage is over 80% of what the vehicle is worth it will automatically be wrecked out. I could be off on that number, but you also have to factor in the check your supposed to get from the other persons insurance company for the depreciated value the truck.

Best of luck...

9. Apr 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SR5 SB/2012 DC 4x4 SR5 LB(sold)
    Need to remember that there are a lot of parts that get replaced as a set.
    You will not have them replase on shock or spring and not the other.
    The wheels, any marks and any hit they will be replaced, they are alloy and hard to see a crack around the lugs or bead. The tires, should be replaced as a pair or a full set pending the size and miles on them, it is a 4x4.
    The axle, it would take them a lot of time to pull it apart and check everything to see if there is a bend, on a hit like that, they should replace it.
    Drive shaft should be replaced, Again, to test it or have a problem after the fact would cost $$.
    The gas tank and other small parts would need to be replaced.
    Then you have the rental car for several weeks...

I bet it is a total as the year and amount of damage. I bet the total cost to them would be north of 15k to 18K.
    It would be better to just try and cut you a check and get it over fast.

I have seen stuff like this, guy living next to me, they wanted to rebuild it, they did, but could never get it to drive and handle as it should.
    After the rebuild and more money, to try they paid him off and sold it off.

Some times it is not about the total est cost but the time and total risk and need to close the case.

10. Apr 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    lpfm1990

lpfm1990 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Newfane NY
    Vehicle:
    13 tundra dbl cab rock warrior
    trd duals
    Wow that sucks man, I'd push to have it totaled. Hate to see a taco to. But at that damage it just won't be right again, going to something somewhere that just is bad/wrong. I have came close to getting hit or loosing it in snow (crappy rugged fails that are going bye bye) the upside is a new truck!!!

11. Apr 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    Agreed.
    Really sucks, OP- but I'm glad you're okay. I hope things work out in your favor.

12. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    Just heard - all state is not totaling it (not yet anyway)

7K - thats all the adjuster could see ( I met him, he wasn't blind, so that only leaves one thing).

He didn't write for a new wheel (which is scratched to hell, no telling structural yet), only one tire (the tires have 27-30k miles on them, so I would think with that kind of wear that putting only one on is a bad / no juju for 4 wheel drive, especially the rear with limited slip differential.

He missed the broken e-brake cable, the brake cables (stretched), and thats just a quick glance. He also wants the plastic tab on the bed where the metal support for the quarter panel attaches to to be repaired and not replace the bed (can't say I'm too thrilled about a plastic repair).

53-55 hours of work, at 7k - just the bumper and rear quarter panel was $5700 and this is waaay way way way more damage. He also said my truck was worth $25k, now don't get me wrong, it was a 2008 with almost 58k miles, and in damn near perfect condition before the accident but and I know they hold their value but that seams 3 grand high or so.

They are shooting to get it on the frame jig Monday - and use plum bobs and measurements to insure the frame isn't bent/twisted. It's an old machine that does not give read outs, but they still have to write down the measurements correct? I want to make sure I get all documents stating the condition of the frame for protection.

they didn't write to replace the axle, but they are going to tear it down. I'm watching every step of this process like a hawk. like a chicken hawk.

All state low balled the damage and estimated too high the value of the truck, I can understand their logic (15k to fix is cheaper than 20-23k to total) but thats absurd that they are estimating this low to prevent it from going into the threshold of being totaled.

Any input? Who else has gone through this? What are my options???

$7k - we'll see what happens when the shop works of there first initial supplement.

-Corey

13. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    How are they going to deal with the Spring perches? Hopefully once in the hands of mechanics and on the frame Jig they will laugh at the $7k figure, and tell insurance it will be a lot more than that.. IDK the rate of labor today but i imagine in the neighborhood of 70-100 per hour, that's ballpark $5000 in labor and only $2000 for parts...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  14. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    Not sure yet - It looks like they are holding out judgement on the frame/spring perches until it is on the frame jig - because they can't "write for what they don't see".

All said and don't I'll be looking for an independent inspection to verify frame/body/mechanical.

I have a highly calibrated "ass" so my seat of the pants sensors will know if its yawing one way or the other, and independent inspection to go with all the documents. Even after all the repairs I don't know if I can keep it - even if it's perfect. :( Just knowing what it's been through might be too much for me.

Like I said the minuscule damage from being rear ended last month was almost $6k - so I have no idea how they can take ask me to take that number seriously. The mechanic at the shop agreed - I told him I would eat a flip flop if that number was anywhere close.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  15. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    My insurance wrote a check for !$2000 for when I hit a deer. Very minor paint damage, dent in drivers door (I pushed that out), and rear bumper.

16. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    jjhitchen

jjhitchen Relentless

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 V6
    100% stock Tacoma
    :(poor tacoma

17. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Insurance is soo stupid... :pray:

18. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    jjhitchen

jjhitchen Relentless

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 V6
    100% stock Tacoma
    glad you are safe, and poor tacoma :(

19. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    this was $5700 to repair, bumper, rt bed side quarter panel, structural piece on that corner of the bed, repaint the tailgate, bumper, and quarter panel. they did replace the rt taillight because some of the clips were broken.

The list on this accident is 5X this list easy - the $7k estimate makes no sense.

photo.jpg

20. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    focotacoma

focotacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue 4x4 TRD off-road
    Im getting there......
    Dont forget your Rocky Mount, if they total it. With that kind of damage I wouldn't settle for anything less. I have seen a lot of trucks hit like this and yours is the worst I have seen. Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top