1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Carnage Report - Got hit this morning.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Coreyjon, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 20, 2013 at 8:34 AM
    Coreyjon

Coreyjon [OP] Northern Alliance: Airlift Div

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    08 DCab 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    They called a nano second after I got off the phone with geico. The guy sounded pissed, he asked if I was sure I wanted to go through geico, then he informed me they would not pay for the rental car, and that they will maintain their records of their assessment of the damage and will not pay for extra damages that it would be on me. I told them I have paperwork direct from Toyota saying they can not use salvaged parts to repair the frame - and he said they have paper work that says differently. The. He said they already sent checks to the body shop and they already started work so he tried to say that because of that I needed to continue going through them. (Something to that affect). I knew he was lying because the body shop and I had an agreement no work would start until we all agreed on the repairs.

He was unprofessional, rude, hostile, and borderline threatening. He is lucky it wasn't a face to face because I bet he is a tie wearing pencil dicked bean counter and in that moment I would have loved nothing more than to crush his larynx with my fist.

Sorry, just got done working out - adrenaline is high.

2. Apr 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    KJaikaran

KJaikaran Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    URD intake/maf calibrator, Icon extended travel coilovers, Icon UCA, OME Dakar leaf packs, Bilstein extended rear shocks, 3 degree axle shims, Carrier bearing drop bracket, DS2 retro, 5k HID bulds top and bottom
    I have a friend that works for State Farm, his departments job is practically to agree on a price with the other party's insurance company if they were brought in for the repair. Ex. if you go through you insurance they will call State Farm and tell them its X amount of money to fix and their job is to say they will not pay that much and just haggle back and forth on the phone over price. He tells me a lot of the time it becomes a big argument on the phone and its even worst once the customer gets involved. Its as if its a damn collection agency telling you all kinda bs to get you to go along with them with a department full of assholes.

3. Apr 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    iPod Adapter, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front, Wheelers 3-leaf 1.5" + overload rear (2"), custom carrier bearing drop spacers.
    All I know is - they insured the driver that hit me, while I was in my lane. I understand NY is no fault, but in a situation like this it is completely the other drivers fault. What can they say - well it's you fault for waking up and driving to work? I don't think that will fly.

The truck will be fixed to pre accident condition, which includes the frame and structural integrity. I understand materials, metal bends, once bent back it is weaker. That affects how the vehicle will handle a future accident which is why toyota says how frames can and can not be repaired when they sustain damage in a collision.

Many (most) people are hands off, and will simply try and get things fixed as soon as possible, Im that 1 in 10k who will not accept cut corners, cheap solutions, or salvaged parts for the repair when toyota spells out specifically they do not recommend salvaged/reclaimed parts from vehicles that were previously in an accident be used to make repairs to the frame.

They can haggle all they want, the truck is being fixed PROPERLY. that will undoubtedly cost more - it is not my fault I was hit, and I will not accept anything other than the correct corrective action period. How can they expect people to allow their vehicles, their investment to be fixed by subpar practices - insane!

4. Apr 20, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    BlazeTaco

BlazeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    4.0l 6sp SR5
    TRD Exhaust TRD Filter
    I would be doing the same if I were in your shoes. Most ins companys don't deal with people that know the kind of stuff that you do. They don't want you to know the right way so they can be cheap. 95 percent of companys in the US have that moto. It is if you are not screwing someone over you are not doing your job right. Keep the rich wealthy and the heck with everyone else.

5. Apr 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    jrogers329

jrogers329 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner TRD DCLB-TRADED!
    Keep on fighting them. We were hit by a guy that had progressive. They wanted to use aftermarket parts. I told them hell no! The ins. guy said that "their job was to put the car back the way it was before the accident." My reply was "Exactly. And before the accident it had OEM parts. You'll be paying for the body parts that the shop wants to use."

More recently my wife was hit from behind, and the other guy's insurance, I think State Farm, wanted to use refurbished parts (ones taken off another car that had been wrecked. I told the adjuster, absolutely not...the dealer says only new OEM parts, and that's whats going on my car.

Insurance sucks, but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Don't give up...get it done right!

6. Apr 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    As far as the person on the phone goes.... Everyone has a boss. If you don't like what you are hearing, stop the conversation and ask to be transferred to that persons boss. It's that simple. "Climb the ladder" until you talk to someone that treats you the way you should be treated.

Most of the time we don't think about that because we're so taken back by the situation. That's understandable, but it doesn't have to be the end of it.

7. Apr 21, 2013 at 5:45 AM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    In the moment I did not think to get a name or escalate it - I was so hot around the collar. But a calmer head should have prevailed and done just that. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast - I'm in no hurry, I want it fixed right, and I should have taken my time on the phone with the jerk to get above him. I will be calling and complaining and we will see what comes of it.

-Corey

8. Apr 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    Infra

Infra Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD OR 6spd
    CBI Bushmaster 2.0 rear bumper with swing out tire carrier & fold down camp table, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Warn M8000-S, Icon 2.5 RR CDC Extended travel CO's with 700lb springs, Icon 2.5 RR CDC rear shocks, Icon hydro bumps, Total Chaos uniball UCA's, All Pro Expo leafs, U-bolt flip kit, Softopper, diff breather mod, extended rear brake lines, Grillecraft mesh grille, Elusive Elements behind grille light bar with B.A.M.F. LED light bar brackets, okLEDlightbars.com 20" double row LED light bar, Relentless Fabrication hood cb antenna mount, Wilson Silver Load CB antenna, Uniden 520 Pro XL CB radio, Wet okole seat covers, Weather tech floor liners, Weather tech in channel window deflectors, trasharoo spare tire trash bag carrier, Box Rocket 2nd gen bed rack with (2) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on drivers side, (2) 2 gallon water rotopax mounted on passenger side, (1) 3 gallon gas rotopax & (1) 2 gallon gas rotopax mounted on CBI swing out, Avid weld on sliders, Mattgecko LED bed light
    Next time you talk to the other drivers insurance company, put your phone on speaker phone and record the conversation.

9. Apr 23, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    The word came down this afternoon - Totaled. The Geico Adjuster could not believe how far off the State Farm guy was. He found more damage too, the rear axle is bent so it would also need to be replaced along with the bed, and the frame.

Now I need to figure out if I am going to go for the 2013 Tacoma, or....

I loved that truck, the new 2013's are nice went and drove one a few hours ago, nicer inside thats for sure, not sure I'm crazy about the new steering wheel, but overall the truck seemed as solid as the old one, some body line redesign especially in the front. How are people liking their new '13 Tacoma's? The steering felt a bit different, not sure if it was a combination of the crappy dunlop tires and the stock sport suspension or what, but it was not as responsive as my '08 with 5100's and nokian tires.

The nautical blue is almost the same as the indigo ink color I had too - torn. Do I go truck or car (Subaru WRX - really the only car I could consider, can't get a Audi TDI Quatro in the states so thats not an option).

Kinda hard seeing the old truck today all torn down and beaten - lots of good times.

10. Apr 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    jrogers329

jrogers329 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Huntsville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner TRD DCLB-TRADED!
    Sorry to hear that it's totaled. Glad your insurance came through for you though.

11. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Its sad when a taco dies. :(

12. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    I can't say enough good things about Geico they are handling this as I would expect a professional company. I'm ready to move past this and on to a new vehicle.

13. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    cjimenRR

cjimenRR Be Good or Be Good At It

Member:
    North Hollywood, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12' Sport DC,LB, 4x4
    May I hire you to fight for my truck if I ever get hit ??? :)

If this happened to me and I had a choice to get another car I would take some of the money from the settlement to buy me a used Taco and the rest for the Subi. Best of both worlds

14. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    western88

western88 Chris b.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    ny countryside
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 4x4 taco Barclona Red
    beather mod Bugsheild backup light mod egr vent
    glad that the you won the battle. but saddly that you lost your taco. I would play the bagpipe for the taco's wake.. if that make ya happy. go for the new one.. the dunflops sucks.. once you get better tires on them.. they are fine

15. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    I love my 13 I previously had an 05 and an 11 and the 13 by far feels alot smoother and more solid feeling. For some reason its quieter but I have a thick layer of black undercoating on the bottom of the whole cab from the dealership maybe thats why, the 13 is the best yet

16. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Happy to hear you finally got an answer. :woot: for new truck shopping!!

17. Apr 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    And my initial assessment was correct...unrepairable frame damage

18. Apr 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    Coreyjon

Member:
    Upstate, Ny
    Vehicle:
    Yes - you were spot on Hetkind, actually when I looked at it today I looked at an angle I had not previously and saw just how torqued the frame was where the rear leaf mount connects and distributes load to the frame. the axle was also bent. Even if they replaced the frame, bed, and axle there would still be "open writeups" based on the unknowns in the transfer case, transmission, etc - the truck could have a related problem a year down the road and cost who knows what to fix.

But to others on here, do not let your vehicle be repaired by sub-par practices. do not authorize anything unless your sure, talk to your shop day one, make it clear that you do not want any parts ordered, repairs started, or checks cashed until you, the shop, and the insurance company all agree on how to move forward. Otherwise you may inadvertently tie your own hands.

Slow is steady, steady is fast.

Don't rush repairs, or decisions. Do your homework - Had I not dug out repair instructions from toyota I may not have had sufficient ammo to push for the things I did. Also as a flight engineer My understanding of structural components and safety (while we operate under different rules for flying obviously) - sound safety and logic prevail when dealing with these people.

I'm glad no one was hurt, and I'm glad my insurance company is taking care of this matter, but it took me kicking State Farm off the case and going to Geico, an option I wasn't sure I could even utilize.

Lessons learned, I hope that this may someday help someone else who finds themselves in the same bad situation.

The 2013 Tacoma is looking pretty good, Dealer is saying 31ish right now and they would even put the nokians on mounted and balanced for free (just cost of tires) and that they would install the 5100's and AAL's to bring my truck back up to the height I want.

Hardest part is, Blue or Black (that blue is damn sexy if you ask me).

19. Apr 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    Losing a truck like that is like losing a good friend. Best of luck with the search for a new one. Hope you will be just as happy with the new truck as you were with the old one.

20. Apr 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    DESRTRNNR

DESRTRNNR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD off road 4x4
    go with the blue.. and get the off road package not the sport.. i just bought a 13 dcsb off road in nautical blue, when i test drove the sport i did not like the ride.. too soft and car feeling.. the off road package feels much better

Products Discussed in

To Top