Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Strange bump feeling on starts and stops

Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
madtacoma is on a distinguished road

madtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Its your slip joint in your drive shaft. There is no grease fitting there, so it tends to stick. You can spray or add some lube but will eventually do it again.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
GreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the roughGreatBasinTaco is a jewel in the rough
Army:
Name: Mike
GreatBasinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
possible loose u bolts? The sevice manual had these under torqued for a period of time.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #26
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
It can be many things, but like usual this forum has crystal balls so everyone clanks when they walk.

You need to go through a diagnostic process. Lashing out blindly at ten possibilities is going to be slow, messy, questionably accurate, and will cost more than it has to.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
Taco Pete626 is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
Taco Pete626's Tacoma Gallery
Ya know, I have this exact feeling. I just assumed it was the gas in the gas tank slapping around since it seemed to be more noticeable when the fuel gage is around half full to 3/4 full. Didn't really think much of it. This axle wrap thing is new to me. Learn something new everyday.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #28
KJaikaran will become famous soon enough
KJaikaran's Tacoma Gallery
Axle wrap.... If your lifted your drive shaft is probably out of alignment causing your pinion angle to be off. When you come to a stop your rear axle points down causing the drive shaft to come out of the yoke and when you come to a complete stop the clunk you feel is it going back in. vise versa for accelerating also. I had the same issue and i partially solved it by realigning my drive with axle shims and carrier bracket drop. I have a traction bar also from bud built, but i'm going to give the alignment another try before putting on the traction bar and eliminating the problem all together.

I have seen someone also put a spacer they sell between the rear pinion and and drive shaft that initially doesn't lets the drive shaft come out of the yoke. There is very good thread of this forum about drive shaft alignment that has a lot of resourceful info.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #30
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribe. Mine does the same as OP describe.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #31
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
It can be many things, but like usual this forum has crystal balls so everyone clanks when they walk.
HAHAHAHAHA
Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #32
Rabbit n Pancakes vs. Chicken n Waffles
Aryota is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Aryota's Tacoma Gallery
WOW!

Been away for a few days and log in to find several helpful replies to the dilemma. Had no idea that the stock leaf springs are so flimsy! It's actually a relief to learn that several of you have experienced this with your Tacos. I was thinking that something was messed up since I bought it used.

I will be trying the add-a-leaf remedy. Until I have time to do it - I'm assuming it's just an annoyance and not a harmful problem? Yes or no?

Thanks very much to fletch aka for that EXTREMELY detailed how-to !

And thanks very much to the rest of you guys for your valuable input.

And now to post another thread regarding strange brake noise.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #33

Aryota's Tacoma Gallery
Just had an afterthought.

It does it worse when the weather is warm to hot. It was barely noticeable to non-existent during during cold weather.

Would this be because the leaf springs are more flexible in warmer weather?

Or is this just a dumb-ass theory?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #34
RKTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Royce
RKTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mine started to do the same thing. 52k on it, the springs are flat. After reading numerous threads I knew the likely cause was axle warp but since I have an extended warranty I took it to the dealer. They said the u-joints were a little loose and ordered me a new drive shaft and carrier bearing last week $1150 worth of work for free. The new driveshaft took away most of the takeoff shutter but I still feel something at low speed especially on turns in parking lots and moderate braking. The 3 Leaf AAL will be next but need to decide between wheelers and icon.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #35
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
"Money doesn't buy happiness." Uh, do you live in America? 'Cause it buys a Tacoma. Have you ever seen a sad person in a Tacoma?"

It may not buy happiness, but I'd rather be crying in my Tacoma than a Ranger
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #36
GoldMember
tacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacosunday is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: VMAQ-1
Name: Josh
tacosunday's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coma09 View Post
"Money doesn't buy happiness." Uh, do you live in America? 'Cause it buys a Tacoma. Have you ever seen a sad person in a Tacoma?"

It may not buy happiness, but I'd rather be crying in my Tacoma than a Ranger
Lol
Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #37
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
So I helped my sister haul her new dining set which weighed about 350 to 400 pounds. Its was about a 30 to 35 mile trip. Oddly enough I dont have that problem that Op has described anymore. I hope I didn't just jinks myself. But anyhow my truck is back to the way it used to be. Just a side note I never really use my truck as a truck. I just drive it.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #39
Drinknmolson is on a distinguished road
Drinknmolson's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem, prior to lift it ended up being axle wrap the u bolts were so loose when I took apart the rear to do the aal, I torwued em down to 73# and I have not noticed it since.

took it to the dealer, they said that's normal. I am actually afraid to go to the yota dealerships anymore they give the "normal" BS to often.

good luck figuring it out if not, just wanted to chime in since i had the same thud but went away with a simple tightening.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #40

Aryota's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the suggestion to re-torque u-bolts. Crawled under last night and torqued them to 75#. They DID turn a good ways until clicking at 75. Noticed the "bump" on starts and stops is reduced a bit, but still there.

And I completely agree with you regarding the Toyota service depts. They seem to not take the issue seriously by saying it's "normal" or "no problem found". It's annoying since Toyotas are not cheap vehicles !!