Notices

Strange bump feeling on starts and stops

Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Rabbit n Pancakes vs. Chicken n Waffles
Aryota is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Aryota's Tacoma Gallery
Strange bump feeling on starts and stops

Hoping one of ya'll can help me pinpoint something. I've got a 2009 Access Cab, TRD, SR5, V6, 4wd. Bought it from a Toyota dealer certified used last year with 42000 mi and now at 50000. It's really clean and doesn't show signs of a rough life with previous owner. In fact, spoke with him and he maintained it pretty well.

I have noticed a "bump" or feeling of “slack being taken up” through seat and gas pedal when taking off from stop. Same thing is felt just as truck comes to a complete stop. It feels like something loose or slack somewhere in driveline. I know this sounds strange, but it seems to start occurring only after truck has been driven a while and is up to full temperature. Particularly noticeable and feels more severe in stop-and-go traffic every time truck stops or starts moving. It has the Toyota Certified warranty on it and I've taken it to 2 different dealers a total of 3 times with the same verdict - "it's normal". I have the feeling that something is loose somewhere but am repeatedly told it's normal. One guy told me it was slack where the driveshaft joins together. Another told me it was leaf-spring flex.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or can anyone advise as to what the cause might be?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
its because your air/heat compressor is on
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Thinking of something clever
dad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dad32509's Tacoma Gallery
I think I have the same thing happening. Mine feels more like a click though. I can feel it in the break pedal when coming to a full stop or releasing the break to accelarate. Is this what you're talking about? If so I'd really like to know what you find out! Ive just recently noticed it.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeseke View Post
its because your air/heat compressor is on
dafuq is a heat compressor?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
dafuq is a heat compressor?
you know what i meant
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Badazta is on a distinguished road
Badazta's Tacoma Gallery
I just came on here to do a search for the same thing. I think it is drive shaft/ u-joint related. I had an 05 GTO that would give the same feeling at times.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #9
dad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddad32509 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazta View Post
I just came on here to do a search for the same thing. I think it is drive shaft/ u-joint related. I had an 05 GTO that would give the same feeling at times.
Is it a click you feel? Wondering if I'm feeling the same thing as you guys. I thought it could be a bad carrier bearing. It kinda feels like its coming from up front more though.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
Deercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeercantseeme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Deercantseeme's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna guess u joints. I had one to bad and it had a shuttering feeling when almost stopped and when taking off.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Badazta's Tacoma Gallery
It's a definite clunk and feels more in the middle or towards the rear. I found that I can pretty much prevent it if I stop slowly. If I brake harder it happens almost every time, almost like the driveline has some slop and doesn't keep up. I actually don't mind it much but it's a little embarrassing when I have people in the truck.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #12

Quote:
It's a definite clunk and feels more in the middle or towards the rear. I found that I can pretty much prevent it if I stop slowly. If I brake harder it happens almost every time, almost like the driveline has some slop and doesn't keep up. I actually don't mind it much but it's a little embarrassing when I have people in the truck.
This sounds like exactly whats going on with mine. Just not as severe as yours. But like you said, if I slow stop I dont feel it, but when I break hard its definitely there. Dont know if OP is experiencing the same thing though.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #13

Aryota's Tacoma Gallery
That's EXACTLY the feeling Badazta !!

Have you had it checked out or wrenched on it yourself? If so what did you find out?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #14

Aryota's Tacoma Gallery
dad32509 - I can tell yours is an Access cab from the photo.

Badazta - is yours also?

And do both of you feel it when coming to a stop AND when taking off. It's a single thump from middle or back of truck.

And, IMO, a Tacoma with only 50000 miles should not be doing this !

How many miles you guys have?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #16
Badazta's Tacoma Gallery
Yep both stop and go. Mines a 2010 dbl cab with 28K. My bumper to bumper warranty is up on the 10th so I'll be getting it checked out real soon.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Axle wrap
^^^this. i think if you search this it will give you a lot of similar threads
Old 04-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
Badazta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Axle wrap
Excuse my ignorance, I have an idea, but what exactly is axle wrap and is there a way to fix it?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, I have an idea, but what exactly is axle wrap and is there a way to fix it?

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/axlewrap/
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #20
Badazta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks!!