Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Key Fob Questions

Old 04-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Key Fob Questions

I just purchased a 2011 Tacoma TRD Double Cab that didn't come with key fobs. I searched the forums and have read that you can program OEM and aftermarket fobs to work on the truck, but I just want a little more feedback on the fobs.

For the cheap ebay fobs ($20+-), is there a particular ebay vendor from whom you have purchased fobs that you could recommend? I heard some of the cheap ones don't come with FCCs and sometimes can't be programmed.

Also, this company claims to have OEM fobs, but they wnat $50/fob. Is there any major difference between a factory fob or the aftermarket one? In other words, is there any benefit to spending the extra money on the OEM fob.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FACTORY-...ef6768&vxp=mtr

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
I got my key fob from the ebay vendor "keyless king."

I ended up getting one of the cheaper ones, around the $20 mark. The fob itself works fine, but the range isn't all that great. It's by no means bad, but if I forgot where I parked in a parking lot the range wouldnt be good enough where I could hit the panic button and find my truck.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Raddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Russell
Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
I was able to purchase an OEM FOD from a person that sold their Toyota for only $10, search Ebay, their out there. I will say that it takes a Song & A Dance to program them. You can find the programming instruction on the internet realy easy but I tell you, I had to insert the key, pull it out, insert, open the Driver door, close the driver door, open door, close door, insert key, pull key out, insert key, open door, close door, open door, close door, than push the FOD Lock button. May not be exact but darn close.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddbus View Post
I was able to purchase an OEM FOD from a person that sold their Toyota for only $10, search Ebay, their out there. I will say that it takes a Song & A Dance to program them. You can find the programming instruction on the internet realy easy but I tell you, I had to insert the key, pull it out, insert, open the Driver door, close the driver door, open door, close door, insert key, pull key out, insert key, open door, close door, open door, close door, than push the FOD Lock button. May not be exact but darn close.

Yeah those instructions sound pretty close! I think it took me a time or two because i missed a step haha
Old 04-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
TRDSport10 is a glorious beacon of lightTRDSport10 is a glorious beacon of lightTRDSport10 is a glorious beacon of lightTRDSport10 is a glorious beacon of lightTRDSport10 is a glorious beacon of lightTRDSport10 is a glorious beacon of light

Navy: AEDO-Retired
Name: John
TRDSport10's Tacoma Gallery
Remote Keyless Entry Key Fob

Suggest search evilBay TOYOTA KEYLESS ENTRY REMOTE KEY FOB {from keylessking (among others)}, believe you are looking for a ‘clicker Fob’ having FCC ID: GQ43VT20T. That works on most ’05-’11 Tacomas with the standard remote keyless entry and is ‘self programmable’ PIA as indicated in previous posts by Russell & Eric. The ‘clicker Fob’ on my 2010 is identified by FCC ID: GQ43VT20T. Not sure what ‘clicker Fob’ works with the accessory VIP-RS3200 + Security System should your Tacoma have that accessory one.
Good luck with the programming exercise.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Yaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shedYaozer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, everyone. I will check out ebay again. Sounds like the OEM fob might be a better choice. I will have to do more homework on it.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
jrogers329 is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jrogers329's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one from remotesremotes.com for $40. It worked fine and has great range.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensecondchevelle View Post
I got my key fob from the ebay vendor "keyless king."

I ended up getting one of the cheaper ones, around the $20 mark. The fob itself works fine, but the range isn't all that great. It's by no means bad, but if I forgot where I parked in a parking lot the range wouldnt be good enough where I could hit the panic button and find my truck.
I used the same vendor. 20 bucks shipped to my door. Looks the same as factory without the numbers on the back. Programmed no problem using his instructions.

I have not noticed any problems with range.

What has been a problem, is the overly sensitive buttons when compared to OEM. Put keys in pocket and walk away, truck unlocks. Sit down on couch inside house, panic alarm goes off.

I wound up popping the remote apart and cutting up a dishwashing sponge to fit around the buttons on the actual circuit board. It took some trial and error, but the sponge adds enough resistance to keep the buttons from getting pressed in my pocket. For 20 bucks, I am happy.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I did a serch and could not find any info. Do's any one know if this alarm has a shock senser if they try to braeck the window and will it kill the ignition?
Old 04-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
kh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud ofkh7nm has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Miles
kh7nm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaozer View Post
I just purchased a 2011 Tacoma TRD Double Cab that didn't come with key fobs. I searched the forums and have read that you can program OEM and aftermarket fobs to work on the truck, but I just want a little more feedback on the fobs.

For the cheap ebay fobs ($20+-), is there a particular ebay vendor from whom you have purchased fobs that you could recommend? I heard some of the cheap ones don't come with FCCs and sometimes can't be programmed.

Also, this company claims to have OEM fobs, but they wnat $50/fob. Is there any major difference between a factory fob or the aftermarket one? In other words, is there any benefit to spending the extra money on the OEM fob.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FACTORY-...ef6768&vxp=mtr

Thanks in advance for your help.
How many are you looking for? I got two of them laying In the house some where shoot me a pm.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh7nm View Post
How many are you looking for? I got two of them laying In the house some where shoot me a pm.
PM sent. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
I received mine yesterday ... went out this morning and followed the instructions with no success ... I walked away to try again later ... medication is a good thing.

Went back out ... no success ... then, the light went on ... ... I had disabled the key buzzer ... did any of y'all do the same?

Nope ... not the cause ... I emailed company with the steps I performed and results ... they'll set me straight.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Nice! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
I received mine yesterday ... went out this morning and followed the instructions with no success ... I walked away to try again later ... medication is a good thing.

Went back out ... no success ... then, the light went on ... ... I had disabled the key buzzer ... did any of y'all do the same?
Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Remotesremotes ... $19.85 w/free shipping... ebay ... sent me a replacement after the 1st one did not work ... BINGO!

I would like to meet the rocket scientist who developed this:

Old 04-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
Yaozer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmorrisvb View Post
Remotesremotes ... $19.85 w/free shipping... ebay ... sent me a replacement after the 1st one did not work ... BINGO!

I would like to meet the rocket scientist who developed this:

Got an OEM fob and this actually worked for me. Sweet! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #16
tacobillmag is on a distinguished road
tacobillmag's Tacoma Gallery
subbed

subbed
Old 11-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #17
nxrunner is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
nxrunner's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for future use. Thx.