Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best Bearing Brand

Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Best Bearing Brand

So finally at 122k, I need to change the front wheel bearings. Doing a bit of research, it looks as though SKF is the OEM manufacturer. I was thinkig about using Timken bearings though. They are about the same price point so that is not the issue. I by no means am going to hit up the local autozone or what have ya for a $20 unit. Im looking on RockAuto and they seem to be half of what the local stealership wants.

So...

SKF or Timken?

More importantly--- WHY?

thanks

Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
Timken used to be made in the USA - they had a plant here in Columbus. Not sure where they are made now...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #3
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba353z View Post
Timken used to be made in the USA - they had a plant here in Columbus. Not sure where they are made now...
Timken in Numbers
2012 Sales: $5.0 billion.
Total number of people worldwide: approx. 20,000.
Total number of facilities: 63 plants; 95 sales offices; 10 technology and engineering centers; 25 shipping centers; and six joint ventures located in 30 countries on six continents.
Paid 362nd consecutive quarterly dividend in 2012.
Listed in the New York Stock Exchange since 1922.

Technology and Engineering
Ten technology and engineering centers located in North Canton, OH; Bangalore, India; Colmar, France; Lebanon and Keene, NH; Manchester, CT; Mesa, AZ; King of Prussia, PA; Ploiesti, Romania; and Shanghai, China.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered Timken front wheel bearings and they were both stamped with Koyo, if that gives you any idea.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
I ordered Timken front wheel bearings and they were both stamped with Koyo, if that gives you any idea.
So in that case, both are OEM brands. Sweet. Thanks for the info
Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
Both are good brands and if they are outsourcing I would imagine they are made to spec for either of them. It's the offshore brands you never heard of I would be wary of.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #7
Keith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to beholdKeith120286 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Keith
Keith120286's Tacoma Gallery
I work for the railroad. All of the bearings I see on railcar wheelsets are Timken. Has to be good stuff if they use it on a 130 ton loaded railcar.