Notices

Brush guards

Old 02-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
The Savage
Tikibeast is on a distinguished road
Tikibeast's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Tikibeast Send a message via Yahoo to Tikibeast
Brush guards

Looked around a little and not seeing much available in the way of brush guards for our trucks. I'm not looking for anything too insane just something to keep brush and branches from eating the front of my truck and something solid to mount some extra lighting to.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The three manufacturers that I can think of off the top of my head are Westin, Manik and Hunter (ebay). They look very similar. I had a Westin on mine (the vertical supports point outward). And while I don't think Ghosts' is a Manik, the Maniks look like his (the vertical supports point inward). And the Hunters, the vertical supports are straight.

Here's my opinion on brush guards... I think they look good. It was the first thing I bought for my truck when I got it. But I wouldn't think of them as anything other than a glorified light bar. They provide no real protection for the front end because the horizontal supports from the frame are just flimsy. So it will simply crumple back into the front end. And if you want real "brush" protection, you'd need more of a metal mesh type covering rather than the small little horizontal bars. The gaps a just too large to keep anything thats not really large out.

So, as long as you realize this, I think it'll be a great mod and will look very nice!
Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
The Savage
Well I want them for both aesthetic and functional purposes. The Westins I looked at though were only for the Tacoma models up to 2003? And what is this mesh you're referring to? I live in the desert and during the summer months I spend a lot of time out in the desert so I'm looking for all the protection I can get.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Wren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud ofWren has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
Wren's Tacoma Gallery
Go Rhino and Westin are the two i know
Old 02-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
Well I want them for both aesthetic and functional purposes. The Westins I looked at though were only for the Tacoma models up to 2003? And what is this mesh you're referring to? I live in the desert and during the summer months I spend a lot of time out in the desert so I'm looking for all the protection I can get.
Obviously these wouldn't really look good on Tacomas, but they would provide some real protection from "brush" in the form of a brush guard... Would probably still just crumple into the front end if you hit something though...

Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
The Savage
I miss the days of a good old legal ram bar...
Old 03-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
( . )( . )
Stillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStillfly199 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: J.D.
Stillfly199's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking for something along the same lines, and I have come across the Go Rhino 3000 series. It is a push bar which can mount 2 lights. I think thats the one I am going to go with. Have you found one yet?

Products Discussed in this Thread