1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brush guards

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tikibeast, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Feb 15, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    Tikibeast

Tikibeast [OP] The Savage

Member:
    Victorville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5, Reg Cab totally stock.
    Nada...need some guidance there it's going to see a lot of highway mileage not just trail miles.
    Looked around a little and not seeing much available in the way of brush guards for our trucks. I'm not looking for anything too insane just something to keep brush and branches from eating the front of my truck and something solid to mount some extra lighting to.

2. Feb 15, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    I wouldn't know where to look..... ;)

3. Feb 15, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    The three manufacturers that I can think of off the top of my head are Westin, Manik and Hunter (ebay). They look very similar. I had a Westin on mine (the vertical supports point outward). And while I don't think Ghosts' is a Manik, the Maniks look like his (the vertical supports point inward). And the Hunters, the vertical supports are straight.

Here's my opinion on brush guards... I think they look good. It was the first thing I bought for my truck when I got it. But I wouldn't think of them as anything other than a glorified light bar. They provide no real protection for the front end because the horizontal supports from the frame are just flimsy. So it will simply crumple back into the front end. And if you want real "brush" protection, you'd need more of a metal mesh type covering rather than the small little horizontal bars. The gaps a just too large to keep anything thats not really large out.

So, as long as you realize this, I think it'll be a great mod and will look very nice!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Feb 15, 2009 at 12:54 PM
    Tikibeast

Member:
    Victorville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Nada...need some guidance there it's going to see a lot of highway mileage not just trail miles.
    Well I want them for both aesthetic and functional purposes. The Westins I looked at though were only for the Tacoma models up to 2003? And what is this mesh you're referring to? I live in the desert and during the summer months I spend a lot of time out in the desert so I'm looking for all the protection I can get.

5. Feb 15, 2009 at 12:55 PM
    Wren

Wren Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Williamsburg, Ky
    Vehicle:
    11 White Reg. Cab 4x4
    Go Rhino and Westin are the two i know

6. Feb 15, 2009 at 3:43 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Obviously these wouldn't really look good on Tacomas, but they would provide some real protection from "brush" in the form of a brush guard... Would probably still just crumple into the front end if you hit something though...

[​IMG]

7. Feb 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    Tikibeast

Member:
    Victorville, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I miss the days of a good old legal ram bar...

8. Mar 3, 2009 at 5:06 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    I've been looking for something along the same lines, and I have come across the Go Rhino 3000 series. It is a push bar which can mount 2 lights. I think thats the one I am going to go with. Have you found one yet?

Products Discussed in

To Top