1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Selling stock alloy rims

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stump jumper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    Has anyone sold theirs when going with aftermarket? I am looking at Bajas but depending on price I may opt for just a regular 4x4 TRD. If I go that route I will probably just buy some black rims. I am wondering what to expect when I try to sell the stock ones. I am sure it probably depends a lot on the market area.

2. Apr 3, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I was able to unload my 2013 TRD Off-Road wheels, tires and spare tire locally for $840 via CL with 843 miles on them to someone with an SR5 that needed tires.

Fwiw, if you do get the Baja, hang onto those wheels. They are nearly impossible to get outside of buying the truck new, and I'm sure you could easily sell them for a fair chunk of change.

3. Apr 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM
    stump jumper

stump jumper [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    If I go with the Baja I will be keeping the wheels. If I do go the other route I would be happy to feet half the cost of the aftermarket rims.

4. Apr 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Makes sense. I was able to recoup about 90% of my tire cost by reselling my original setup. My thought is that the earlier you take them off the truck, the more appealing they will be to the new buyer.

The only annoying part of the whole process is the TPMS which just adds another step (having to have the original wheels dismounted and remounted, which adds cost). Well, that and deciding you actually like the OEM wheels significantly more than you originally planned and you ended up actually disappointed you had to sell them, but that's another issue entirely.

Products Discussed in

To Top