1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaky & Squeaky Units

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MachinesOfGreen, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Apr 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    MachinesOfGreen

MachinesOfGreen [OP] Member

Member:
    Got myself a 2006 access cab V6, 4wd Taco with approximately 125K on her.

Recently noticed she has been going through a lot of power steering fluid and leaking what appears to be water or clear fluid in small volume from passenger side area.

Separately I am getting a high pitched squeaking noise from driver side of engine compartment during idle and driving.

Replaced an idler pulley and serpentine built approximately 2,500 miles ago.

I do mostly city driving and probably put more use on the power steering than normal with lots of multi point turns in narrow streets and what not. But it has never required this much fluid.

Crawled under her this morning and took some pictures of what appeared to be the problem area. Photos are taken from underneath passenger side of vehicle.

Any insight in to the cause of these symptoms would be awesome, Thanks!

IMG_4514.jpg
    IMG_4515.jpg
    IMG_4516.jpg
    IMG_4517.jpg

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    toyotaman29

toyotaman29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR Prerunner Silver
    LED upgrades, Husky weatherbeaters, Black 16’’ wheels
    I would clean the engine bay good, spray some purple cleaner or de-greaser and hose it down, then see if it's a hose or the pump. The noise could be another idler pulley or the belt slipping from some fluid leaking on it, i would try that first...

3. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    That second picture looks like the power steering pump has a leak. Of course what toyotaman29 said is a good start to verify this.

Clean it really well then drive it around slowly so it doesn't blow the fluid everywhere and then get another look see.

4. Apr 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM
    MachinesOfGreen

MachinesOfGreen [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks guys. Going to get on this in the next few days. trying to keep her off the road until then. Suspecting power steering pump is the issue.

Products Discussed in

To Top