Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New 2013 TRD Experience... Thoughts?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #21
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Look everyone! Subjective opinions!

Let's all discuss OUR opinions too!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
That'll work.

Dan Quayle version, or regular?
Potatoe...because internets.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #23
heavy user
mm1ssdv is on a distinguished road

Navy: nuke sub mechanic / diver
Name: Chris
mm1ssdv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
-Headrest: I know this is not unique to this vehicle, but the headrests are horribly invasive. Can't drive it without them turned around.
All new vehicles are like that. Turn them back the right way, tip your seat back a little and enjoy not breaking your neck when someone hits you at a red light.

Quote:
-The seating position is really changed, or else the steering wheel adjustability is really limited compared to the 1st gen... always feel too far from the steering wheel and too close to the pedals... anyone else?
You've been driving the same truck for 9 years, anything is going to feel different.

Quote:
-lethargic acceleration, sometimes feels like a whole second before the thing decides to get going after hitting the accelerator. definately lacking the 'pep' from my 2004. once moving, it does nicely though. This truck is really in need of a more aggressive shift pattern...
Welcome to the world of terrible automatic transmissions. If you really want control go with the 6MT.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #24
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1ssdv View Post
If you really want control go with the 6MT.
Which originally might as well have been made of glass. They seem to have beefed up the synchros in the post '06 models though. Dude on TTORA did a great writeup on a rebuild.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #25
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1ssdv View Post
Welcome to the world of terrible automatic transmissions. If you really want control go with the 6MT.

Ermahgerd
Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #26
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a pair of Nike shoes a few weeks ago and don't find them to be as comfortable as I'd like...so I don't wear them much.
Anyone else have a similar experience, where their old shoes were preferred?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #27
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
My responses in red, hope it helps.

Quote:
I recently 'upgraded' from a 2004 TRD xtracab, to a 2013 TRD doublecab, and i wish i could say i was happy about the experience, but I have some real gripes about the new truck, and wanted to find out if this is just my lone experience, or others have similar experiences. I'm especially interested in hearing from people that have gone from 1st gen to 2nd gen.

I drove my dad's '04 DC PreRunner v6 for almost a year before I got my '13, maybe I can relate.

-Biggest Gripe: The seat is a squishy unsupportive mesh, with almost no substance at all. I feel like i sink in an inch or two in just normal acceleration.

I feel the seat in the 2013 TRD-OR is actual more firm to be honest, not squishy to me. I am guessing you have the TRD seats though right?

-Headrest: I know this is not unique to this vehicle, but the headrests are horribly invasive. Can't drive it without them turned around.

It is annoying at first. Most newer vehicles have these style now for safety reasons. My trick is just to lean back the seat about 1 tick/adjustment and it becomes 90% more comfortable. (My head sits about 1 inch from the headrest now, with me sitting fully supported in the seat)

-The seating position is really changed, or else the steering wheel adjustability is really limited compared to the 1st gen... always feel too far from the steering wheel and too close to the pedals... anyone else?

The 2013 steering wheel has a telescoping feature so you can adjust the steering wheel position way more than the 04. Just pull the clip down (I think that is how to adjust it) underneath the wheel and you can adjust in and out.

-lethargic acceleration, sometimes feels like a whole second before the thing decides to get going after hitting the accelerator. definately lacking the 'pep' from my 2004. once moving, it does nicely though. This truck is really in need of a more aggressive shift pattern...

The 2013 does "seem" to jump into acceleration a little slower, however the oomph of the engine is noticeably greater, which I compared when flooring it into acceleration to see what the engine could do

-incredibly touchy brakes... ABS kicks on frequently during normal driving, unable to modulate to a stop without cycles of overbraking/underbraking... so much so i took it back to the dealer who at first proclaimed the brakes were way too touchy.... then came back and said working as designed... i don't know.. 2200 miles, still touchy as hell..

I haven't had any brake issues, or ABS issues. My normal driving is moderate acceleration off of red lights, generally 5 mph over speed limit, and moderate turning/braking. No issue out of my brakes, may just be your tacoma? But the brakes to me are very comparable to my dads 04 PreRunner. His brakes were very touchy, and the 2013 I have feels the same.

anyone's thoughts are appreciated...
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I personally love my 2011 TRD seats! They are firm and very supportive. Great for long trips.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #29
IluvmyTACO is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
IluvmyTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like some people are too damn picky...
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
poppeye is on a distinguished road
poppeye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by File IFR View Post
It's the first complaint I've heard about the headrests and seat softness.

.... Everyone knows the ABS sucks and the truck doesn't accelerate like a sports car.

Are there any positives you've noticed coming from a 2004?
Yeah, definately. The ride itself is very nice and much improved, it holds stable and isn't overly stiff and bouncy like my 2004. Its much quieter on the road and doesn't have the real airy sounding whirr of the motor. I like the AC power in the bed, and the number of tie down points... definately some good things in the truck.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #31
poppeye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvmyTACO View Post
Sounds like some people are too damn picky...
Could be...

I have a feeling that this truck just fits some people better then others. I test drove it and can't say i really noticed all of these things. The headrest thing for example doesn't bother me instantly, but after about 5-10 miles I'm itching to get out of that seat, which is a bit longer then most test drives. I'm 5-6" and i've found that it seems its shorter people that have more issues with the headrests, and its not hard to imagine that the seating position is related.

but some people are giving some tips here, and i'm grateful for that, gonna try some of them out.

I don't think its unreasonable to expect some level of comfort from a 30k vehicle.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #32
ThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shedThomasMore66 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ThomasMore66's Tacoma Gallery
I love mine. Went from a 2003 2wd Tundra Sport to a new 2013 TRD OR 4wd. I did have the dealer install leather, but the support of the seats is the same as with the cloth. The brakes were always bad on my Tundra - replaced the entire ABS under warranty after the back tires all but locked up. That was fun. I had upgraded to an Eaton Trutrac in the rear dif which was great when I needed traction, but it made the back end come around in the wet like crazy. I kinda like the new traction control. I have had wet roads here in Dallas for a couple of weeks and I know all the slick spots - this stuff works. I'm not real impressed with the traction of the Rugged Trails, but I can replace those later. I'm way happy.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #33
rolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud ofrolltyd has much to be proud of

Name: Jay
rolltyd's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a 2010 dbcb 4x4 SPORT to a 2013 dbcb 4x4 OR. And I love it. I think it rides and responds to acceleration much better. I also dont feel the jerky shift points I did with the 2010 yet. But it only has 200 miles on it so far. The only issue I have is it seems shorter and definitely sits lower than my SPORT.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #34
poppeye's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2006Yota View Post
If you want it to shift more aggressively, cant you just disconnect the battery to wipe the ecu's memory, then drive it around really aggressively so the computer learns your driving preferences towards that? Obviously going to lose some MPG.
This works?

I assumed the learning system was more for the engine to tune itself.. not to tune itself to the driver..?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #35
"I think I know more than I do."
Bullfrog is on a distinguished road

Name: McLaren
Bullfrog's Tacoma Gallery
I drive a first gen every day. Once and a while I drive my dads tundra, with exception to the seat deal I feel the same way about his truck. Love my first gen can't imagine driving anything else.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #36
HeavyLifter is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
HeavyLifter's Tacoma Gallery
I'm enjoying my 2013 TRD Sport DCSB. My only issue is the sluggish acceleration. Overall, very happy with my first Tacoma.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #37
O-------l
Del Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shedDel Scorcho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Del Scorcho's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for almost a year. No regrets.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #38
lawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to alllawless is a name known to all

Name: Lawson
lawless's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
I bought a pair of Nike shoes a few weeks ago and don't find them to be as comfortable as I'd like...so I don't wear them much.
Anyone else have a similar experience, where their old shoes were preferred?
New Balance FTW! I prefer the 993s.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #39
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
The TRD is pretty nice and I wish the seats came with leather
Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 AM   #40
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
The TRD is pretty nice and I wish the seats came with leather
They do in bitches