Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

New 2013 TRD Experience... Thoughts?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
poppeye is on a distinguished road
poppeye's Tacoma Gallery
New 2013 TRD Experience... Thoughts?

I recently 'upgraded' from a 2004 TRD xtracab, to a 2013 TRD doublecab, and i wish i could say i was happy about the experience, but I have some real gripes about the new truck, and wanted to find out if this is just my lone experience, or others have similar experiences. I'm especially interested in hearing from people that have gone from 1st gen to 2nd gen.

-Biggest Gripe: The seat is a squishy unsupportive mesh, with almost no substance at all. I feel like i sink in an inch or two in just normal acceleration.

-Headrest: I know this is not unique to this vehicle, but the headrests are horribly invasive. Can't drive it without them turned around.

-The seating position is really changed, or else the steering wheel adjustability is really limited compared to the 1st gen... always feel too far from the steering wheel and too close to the pedals... anyone else?

-lethargic acceleration, sometimes feels like a whole second before the thing decides to get going after hitting the accelerator. definately lacking the 'pep' from my 2004. once moving, it does nicely though. This truck is really in need of a more aggressive shift pattern...

-incredibly touchy brakes... ABS kicks on frequently during normal driving, unable to modulate to a stop without cycles of overbraking/underbraking... so much so i took it back to the dealer who at first proclaimed the brakes were way too touchy.... then came back and said working as designed... i don't know.. 2200 miles, still touchy as hell..

anyone's thoughts are appreciated...
Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
What do you want us to say?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt notice any of that with my truck. i will say, the interior does look nicer and feel nicer than when i had my 08 xrunner (minus the new access cab rear seats). you said shift pattern; im assuming its auto? if so i know what youre talking about cause it feels like that with my 08 4runner. same motor, same trans.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
It's the first complaint I've heard about the headrests and seat softness.

.... Everyone knows the ABS sucks and the truck doesn't accelerate like a sports car.

Are there any positives you've noticed coming from a 2004?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
I recently 'upgraded' from a 2004 TRD xtracab, to a 2013 TRD doublecab, and i wish i could say i was happy about the experience, but I have some real gripes about the new truck, and wanted to find out if this is just my lone experience, or others have similar experiences. I'm especially interested in hearing from people that have gone from 1st gen to 2nd gen.

-Biggest Gripe: The seat is a squishy unsupportive mesh, with almost no substance at all. I feel like i sink in an inch or two in just normal acceleration.

-Headrest: I know this is not unique to this vehicle, but the headrests are horribly invasive. Can't drive it without them turned around.

-The seating position is really changed, or else the steering wheel adjustability is really limited compared to the 1st gen... always feel too far from the steering wheel and too close to the pedals... anyone else?

-lethargic acceleration, sometimes feels like a whole second before the thing decides to get going after hitting the accelerator. definately lacking the 'pep' from my 2004. once moving, it does nicely though. This truck is really in need of a more aggressive shift pattern...

-incredibly touchy brakes... ABS kicks on frequently during normal driving, unable to modulate to a stop without cycles of overbraking/underbraking... so much so i took it back to the dealer who at first proclaimed the brakes were way too touchy.... then came back and said working as designed... i don't know.. 2200 miles, still touchy as hell..

anyone's thoughts are appreciated...
The only thing I found from my 11' Sport Double Cab to my 13' Access Cab OR is that the traction control is very touchy. I find it goes off for any little slip. I find that the 11' traction control wasn't as sensitive.

When it comes to everything else you mentioned. It's a truck, I don't expect it to be comfy like a Caddy.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
What do you want us to say?
Potato?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
I liked the seats in my 2010 SR5 better than those in my 2012 TRD. but I can live with it.

You can thank the fed gummit for the headrests. Although I have no issue. (hated them in my 2010 F-150). and, I don't think it's wise to drive with them turned around...it could harm you in an accident, in more ways than physical.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
the brakes are touchy I can give you that but i think thats a good thing, did you not test drive before you bought the vehicle always being uncomfortable will make me not want to buy a truck that I have to do payments on
Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Potato?
That'll work.

Dan Quayle version, or regular?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
My dealership gave me a free test drive before I made the purchase

If I thought it was that uncomfortable and slow, I wouldn't have bought it...

It is really slow, but I don't care anymore
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
i like mine, no real issues. i'm pretty sure it's drive by wire so you're going to have alittle more lag then a throttle cable, but it's a truck not a race car so i dont mind, or really notice it. and i like my seat for the most part. no real issues. and your brakes are new and different. give them time to break in
Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Next time take a longer test drive !
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #14
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
Potato?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
That'll work.

Dan Quayle version, or regular?
HD version...

potato-potato...potato-potato...
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #15
stmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shedstmpjmpr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
stmpjmpr's Tacoma Gallery
I went from an 01 to an 06 and I love it. I recently contemplated an upgrade to 2012 but seeing a few of these negative threads on the newer models. gonna stay put with mine.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Out of the 3 Tacomas I had the 13 is the best one by far...there are some fixes to some of your gripes ...that's what were here for
Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
HD version...

potato-potato...potato-potato...
Potatoeeeeeeeeeeeeee according to our former vice president.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I get what you're saying about the seat and seating position. I missed my 1st gen seat and whatever was changed between the two the 1st gen dimensions fit me way better. I've since adjusted and now I'm happy with it but a big part of that was also putting Clazzio seat covers in. They have a 1/2 inch of padding which is enough to move the headrest back and adjust my position so it all fits.

That's really the only thing I didn't like as much as my 01, I haven't had any braking issues and can't even begin to compare acceleration with my little 2.7 first gen.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
The slowest build EVER!!
MI4x4Toy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
MI4x4Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Hesitant throttle? Can't say I've had that. My 2011 did once in a great while but my 13 rips chunks off the duratracs at any command. Actually don't know if there is a difference between the motors but my 13 definitely pulls harder.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #20
El Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shed
El Chip's Tacoma Gallery
<First Post>

I just bought a TRD Sport 2013 V6 5A doublecab on Tuesday... I have to wait until June for it to get here from Texas, but my wife and I both test drove one in a different colour and loved it.

I read as much as I could before we went, and worked the brakes and such, but I didn't find them to be over responsive or too squishy. But we only drove it around for an hour. My last truck was an '08 Ram, and we wanted smaller and quality this time. Acceleration was much more responsive than my Ram, which you had to pound on it and wait until it decided to go.

As for the seats, I thought they were really comfortable. Head and shoulders above the RAM, and much nicer than the seats in my wifes Fit, or my '12 Civic Si.