Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spacers?

Old 04-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
mobbinkelto is on a distinguished road
mobbinkelto's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers?

when I run 1.25 spacers do I need to get new studs and what not?
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Yes,
Read here. Looks like anything more than 1/4 inch spacer and you will need them.
Other threads show you need to get them pressed out. One buy used a socket and hammer but I'd go to a local shop and press them out if you can't yourself.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ger-studs.html
Old 04-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobbinkelto View Post
when I run 1.25 spacers do I need to get new studs and what not?

If you're talking about wheel spacers, they will have their own studs on them, and are made to work with your stock studs. Do not change your stock studs.

If you are talking about coil spacers, they also have their own studs and are designed to work with your stock studs.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #4
Walker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant futureWalker T has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Leader, Charlie Company, 4/16th Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. Oh-so-many years ago...
Walker T's Tacoma Gallery
If you are talking about wheel spacers, go here;

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts-page-11

The product you want is 68037, you need 24 of them, these are extended thread, open faced, conical lug nuts that will secure the spacers to your existing hubs. Then you can use your existing lug nuts to secure the wheel to the spacer.

The lugs that come with the spacers are not safe on our Tacomas, because Toyota has installed some very short lug studs, and the supplied lug nuts will only give you 2-3 turns before they bottom-out. You need the extended thread lug nuts to reach down into the bored hole in the spacer to make sure your tire does not come off the first time you hit a pothole.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
If you're talking about wheel spacers, think long and hard about it.

They absolutely destroyed the way my '09 TRD Sport rode. And you should also consider the fact that the entire side of your truck will be covered in dirt unless you only drive in dry conditions.

They were the single worst automobile related decision that I ever made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker T View Post
If you are talking about wheel spacers, go here;

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts-page-11

The product you want is 68037, you need 24 of them, these are extended thread, open faced, conical lug nuts that will secure the spacers to your existing hubs. Then you can use your existing lug nuts to secure the wheel to the spacer.

The lugs that come with the spacers are not safe on our Tacomas, because Toyota has installed some very short lug studs, and the supplied lug nuts will only give you 2-3 turns before they bottom-out. You need the extended thread lug nuts to reach down into the bored hole in the spacer to make sure your tire does not come off the first time you hit a pothole.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB Voodoo View Post
If you're talking about wheel spacers, think long and hard about it.

They absolutely destroyed the way my '09 TRD Sport rode. And you should also consider the fact that the entire side of your truck will be covered in dirt unless you only drive in dry conditions.

They were the single worst automobile related decision that I ever made.

what??? wheel spacers dont have any affect on your ride
OP, I put spider tracs on my truck recently.. they come with everything you need. re use your stock studs.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
tn2012taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Nathan
tn2012taco's Tacoma Gallery
I put spidertraxx (1.25) on my truck in January. I've done some light-wheeling, and taken some heavy potholes and no problems yet, and that's with stock lugs. I have a slight vibe around 60 (probably my 37k rugged fails and bad alignment), but it really doesn't bother me all that much. Get the spacers, torque em down right, and when you can afford new wheels, you'll be able to sell them.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
what??? wheel spacers dont have any affect on your ride
By increasing the distance between the wheel and the hub, it effectively increases the moment arm applied to the suspension.

I felt that they made it ride more harshly. Taking them off was a big relief.

(this would obviously apply to the front suspension only)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I see your theory...
in any case, I felt like my truck handled better with them on, i run 285/75/16's and I was getting more lean around corners.. now feels a little more stable.. but who knows, could all be in my mind.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
mobbinkelto is on a distinguished road
mobbinkelto's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everyone, I'll try em out and see how it rides
Old 04-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
The problems that I had with the spacers was probably accentuated by the fact that I drive most country roads. They never seem to be in very good shape.

I prefer my truck to ride like it's floating on a cloud of titties.

She did look good though....

Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
This is where I write something clever
chris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of lightchris duby is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chris
chris duby's Tacoma Gallery
I installed some Spdertraxx spacers (1.25") on the rear only to match the front since I installed some Maxtrac spindles and they kick out the front tires 0.75". It looks good but my truck stays dirty unless it's perfect conditions outside. I have nothing to say about the ride quality since I went from a spacer lift to spindles with the spidertraxx, but it's definitley better than before. And everything I needed for the install came in the box from Toytec.com.