Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD "Quick Shifter" installed. Ahhhhh...

Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
newfieDan is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
newfieDan's Tacoma Gallery
TRD "Quick Shifter" installed. Ahhhhh...

Just a heads up for those who were asking. I finally got my short shifter installed and it's just great. No more "boat rowing" while changing gear and the final height is good.

My only question now is, why the hell don't they install this as stock? It's not like you have to drive it like you stole it to appreciate smoother and shorter shifts. It's a no brainer imo.

Anyway, if you were on the fence about it, don't be cuz it's awesome. Is it worth the $550.00 installed they quoted? Probably not, depends on how much disposable cash you have I guess. But if you can get it for 300 and install it yourself, I'd still say its' worth it for such a big difference.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Taco Pete626 is on a distinguished road
Name: Peter
Taco Pete626's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieDan View Post
Just a heads up for those who were asking. I finally got my short shifter installed and it's just great. No more "boat rowing" while changing gear and the final height is good.

My only question now is, why the hell don't they install this as stock? It's not like you have to drive it like you stole it to appreciate smoother and shorter shifts. It's a no brainer imo.

Anyway, if you were on the fence about it, don't be cuz it's awesome. Is it worth the $550.00 installed they quoted? Probably not, depends on how much disposable cash you have I guess. But if you can get it for 300 and install it yourself, I'd still say its' worth it for such a big difference.
Toyota probably figured that the compromise between shift travel and shift effort were appropriate to suit the majority of drivers out there.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
deepcoma will become famous soon enoughdeepcoma will become famous soon enough

deepcoma's Tacoma Gallery
Nice to know you are liking the short throw shift. I have been debating the URD short throw as it is only $110.00 plus delivery and I have read on here that install is not to difficult. Think I am gonna pull the trigger on that now.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
newfieDan is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
newfieDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcoma View Post
Nice to know you are liking the short throw shift. I have been debating the URD short throw as it is only $110.00 plus delivery and I have read on here that install is not to difficult. Think I am gonna pull the trigger on that now.
Right on, you won't regret it. Hope your mileage is improving as well. I am consistently getting 500kms on a tank of Esso Supreme around town now. Not great but, beats the hell outta 13mpg. :S
Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not baller enough for a TRD shifter, So I have the URD... Install was super easy, Just pull up the cup holders, remove the 4 screws, pull up the fabric in the center arm rest and remove the 2 10MM bolts, Take off the shift knob and pull out the center console+shifter console towards the back and remove... Pop in the centers of the dust shields clips around the shifter, remove the 2 screws and pull it out, Unbolt the stock shifter and bang the top of the shifter stock with a rubber mallet to break away the sealant (If B&M or TRD then heres where you just put the new one in... But for URD)... Pop off the white plastic ringy thingy around the ball on the shifter (hardest part), put the half spacer thingies around the base of the shifter ball and add the new ball thing over it, add loctite to the small allen screws and screw it in, Clip on the white plastic thingy, add loctite around the shifter hole thing on the transmission, add the spacer, put on the shifter and re assemble everything.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Right on, you won't regret it. Hope your mileage is improving as well. I am consistently getting 500kms on a tank of Esso Supreme around town now. Not great but, beats the hell outta 13mpg. :S

Its getting better but no where near 500 yet and almost 4k on the odometer.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyWithCamera View Post
I'm not baller enough for a TRD shifter, So I have the URD... Install was super easy, Just pull up the cup holders, remove the 4 screws, pull up the fabric in the center arm rest and remove the 2 10MM bolts, Take off the shift knob and pull out the center console+shifter console towards the back and remove... Pop in the centers of the dust shields clips around the shifter, remove the 2 screws and pull it out, Unbolt the stock shifter and bang the top of the shifter stock with a rubber mallet to break away the sealant (If B&M or TRD then heres where you just put the new one in... But for URD)... Pop off the white plastic ringy thingy around the ball on the shifter (hardest part), put the half spacer thingies around the base of the shifter ball and add the new ball thing over it, add loctite to the small allen screws and screw it in, Clip on the white plastic thingy, add loctite around the shifter hole thing on the transmission, add the spacer, put on the shifter and re assemble everything.

You make it seem so easy!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Aftermarket accessories for premium prices.

I do agree though. I love my TRD SS it made a huge improvement. I believe it claims 30% shorter throw but it feels like more to me.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcoma View Post
You make it seem so easy!!!
The URD shifter install is very easy, I installed one on my old X-Runner and it was a must for anyone with an 6-speed. IMHO
Old 05-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
otenba is on a distinguished road
otenba's Tacoma Gallery
does anyone know if the install for the TRD short shift is just as easy?

when i bought my truck back in 2010 the sales guy told me it was $300, and when i asked if that included installation he said yes... good to know that's just the price of the part!

i've been on the fence about it for a long time (uh, i guess ever since i test drove a 6-spd tacoma)

ugh maybe one of these days...
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #11
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by otenba View Post
does anyone know if the install for the TRD short shift is just as easy?

when i bought my truck back in 2010 the sales guy told me it was $300, and when i asked if that included installation he said yes... good to know that's just the price of the part!

i've been on the fence about it for a long time (uh, i guess ever since i test drove a 6-spd tacoma)

ugh maybe one of these days...
Even easier to do the TRD SS then it is to do the URD.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
RTV silicone sealant works.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #14
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Angel
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
I love my short shifter. Only paid $60 for it too. Got it off a member who was selling his truck. Literally pulled up to his house and swapped out our shifters. Took 30 mins tops. Makes the world of difference.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
ReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really niceReddingtonTRD is just really nice

Name: Sean
ReddingtonTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIYota View Post
I love my short shifter. Only paid $60 for it too. Got it off a member who was selling his truck. Literally pulled up to his house and swapped out our shifters. Took 30 mins tops. Makes the world of difference.
Wow! $60? That would have been a much better figure to tell my wife lol. I just pushed the button at trdparts4u. Thanks for the encouragement...can't wait to throw it in!
Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #16
futureclaypool is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
futureclaypool's Tacoma Gallery
This is going to sound stupid but if you don't ask questions you can't learn, right? How can you tell if you have a TRD short shifter? I bought my Taco used and it was already modified when i got it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 AM   #17
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureclaypool View Post
This is going to sound stupid but if you don't ask questions you can't learn, right? How can you tell if you have a TRD short shifter? I bought my Taco used and it was already modified when i got it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Get under truck and look up at where the shifter goes into top of gearbox. If there is short shifter kit then there should be an extra spacer looking section where shifter bolts into top of gearbox. Might even notice 2 rows sealant of some sort along the seams where it squeezed out from tightening bolts up.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:31 AM   #18
HIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedHIYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddingtonTRD View Post
Wow! $60? That would have been a much better figure to tell my wife lol. I just pushed the button at trdparts4u. Thanks for the encouragement...can't wait to throw it in!
Yea it was a steal. He was in a rush to get some money back so I gave it a shot and he took it. Literally after we finished swapping he went to the dealer and got rid of the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureclaypool View Post
Easiest way would be to pull the center console out and look. If you the spacer or anything similar to the link you have one. Unless you've driven a tacoma without you may not notice by just driving it.

http://trdparts4u.toyotaofdallas.com...product=276649
Old 07-08-2013, 03:35 AM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
How is pulling the center console easier than just looking under the truck?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #20

Air Force:
HIYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
How is pulling the center console easier than just looking under the truck?
Started writing before you posted. But honestly if you can't see what you looking for down under there then it only takes a minute to pull the center console apart.