Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

General Questions about 2nd Gen Long Bed 4x4

Old 04-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
chefnobody is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
chefnobody's Tacoma Gallery
General Questions about 2nd Gen Long Bed 4x4

First time posting here. Did a quick search, but didn't see any sort of general question post like this so please forgive me if this is redundant for you:

I'm looking at several used 2005-2011 Tacoma's. Specifically I'm eyeing the 4x4 long bed with the Sport package. Now, I had a 2004 extended cab with the Off-road package and it was glorious. I am now married and about to have a baby so I need a double cab, for sure. My questions are based on my great experience with the 2004 and so I'm trying to get a better idea of what I can expect the experience to be like with the long bed.

1. Is the long bed significantly heavier than the short-bed double cab? Looking at the stats I think the short-bed weighs 4080 lbs and the long bed 4135. Is that about right? I'm guessing its not noticeable but I can't be certain.

2. How does the VVTI V6 compare to the V6's in 2004 and earlier models? I'm not an engine/physics/fluids guy, nor am I technically savvy with motors. Is it generally more powerful than the older engine technology? Will it be under-powered going up hills? I don't tow anything but I do drive up into the mountains in CO and my 2004 V6 tacked at 4000rpms easily when I climbed up into the rockies on. I really had to push it, and I'd like to know if I can generally expect to have the same kind of experience.

3. Relative to that, what affordable aftermarket modifications can be done to improve power if it's lacking?

4. How does the long bed double cab model handle off-road compared to the short-bed? Have you guys had any issues with the long bed when off-road where you wouldn't have had them in the short bed? I probably won't be doing any rock-crawling, but I will be going through snow and wheeling on forrest service roads when possible. I'd prefer the long bed size for functionality, but if it's a significant detriment to the overall use of the truck off-road I might reconsider.

5. Has anyone with the long bed been dissapointed with it? If so, why?

6. Can the Toyota factory roof-rails be installed on a Tacoma after market or is that something only the dealership will do at the time of order? I don't want a roof mounted after market Yakima/Thule set up, I'd like the rails that are attached to the vehicle.

7. I'm considering a 2007 Long bed 4x4 sport with 112k miles. See the link below. I don't know what service has been performed on this truck so I'm curious to know what I can reasonably expect to have to do in the next 6-12 months? Timing belts? Pumps, etc...? Is there anything invasive I might worry about coming up? It seems to be reasonably well taken care of

http://www.loveford.com/used-Lovelan...MU52N67Z452332

8. About how many more miles can I reasonably expect to put on a motor with 112k already? I wanted to drive my 2004 into the ground but had to trade it in at about 140K so I'd love to know if I can expect to put 100+K miles on this truck given proper maintenance and care. Is that unrealistic?

9. Do you guys have any qualms or issues with newer Tacomas being built in Baja, Mex? I heard tell of rumors/issues with those autos coming out of Mexico. Toyota at one point did all their manufacturing here in the states. What's your sense of the quality of the product coming out of Baja?

That's it. You guys are awesome. Thanks for taking the time read through all this.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefnobody View Post
First time posting here. Did a quick search, but didn't see any sort of general question post like this so please forgive me if this is redundant for you:

I'm looking at several used 2005-2011 Tacoma's. Specifically I'm eyeing the 4x4 long bed with the Sport package. Now, I had a 2004 extended cab with the Off-road package and it was glorious. I am now married and about to have a baby so I need a double cab, for sure. My questions are based on my great experience with the 2004 and so I'm trying to get a better idea of what I can expect the experience to be like with the long bed.

1. Is the long bed significantly heavier than the short-bed double cab? Looking at the stats I think the short-bed weighs 4080 lbs and the long bed 4135. Is that about right? I'm guessing its not noticeable but I can't be certain.

It's not really noticeably heavier, but it does drive a bit different. Ive had both short bed and long bed, and I can say that around town, the short bed (same frame as the access cab) is nicer to drive in parking lots and such. also, it handles a bit differently, so make sure you like the feel (as I did) before you buy....The Long bed is nicer to drive on the highway and on road trips, when pulling the trailer, when loaded with stuff, and basically everything else that isnt related to the slight drop in turning radius...

2. How does the VVTI V6 compare to the V6's in 2004 and earlier models? I'm not an engine/physics/fluids guy, nor am I technically savvy with motors. Is it generally more powerful than the older engine technology? Will it be under-powered going up hills? I don't tow anything but I do drive up into the mountains in CO and my 2004 V6 tacked at 4000rpms easily when I climbed up into the rockies on. I really had to push it, and I'd like to know if I can generally expect to have the same kind of experience.

Its a bigger engine with more power. I have NO complaints about power pulling a trailer occasionally, so I doubt youll have complaints about hills...

3. Relative to that, what affordable aftermarket modifications can be done to improve power if it's lacking?

Generally the best way to improve power significantly is to throw the supercharger on it. Thats not really "affordable", but things like exhaust and CAI generally have little impact on the everyday around town performance of the Tacoma.

4. How does the long bed double cab model handle off-road compared to the short-bed? Have you guys had any issues with the long bed when off-road where you wouldn't have had them in the short bed? I probably won't be doing any rock-crawling, but I will be going through snow and wheeling on forrest service roads when possible. I'd prefer the long bed size for functionality, but if it's a significant detriment to the overall use of the truck off-road I might reconsider.

Not sure what kind of off roading you are looking to do. I like trails and nature, but very rarely do I encounter rocks let alone go rock crawling. I would say that the short bed would absolutely be better for of road. It had a bit better turning radius, shorter wheel base to avoid getting high centered, and such. I can say that i have only encountered one time that the length was annoying and that was a sharp corner on a tight trail. all I had to do was back up a foot and reangle, but it is what is it.

It sounds like we would be using it for the same purpose off road, so in terms of the long bed being a deterrent, I'd say you're good to go.

Can't speak for snow comparison...

5. Has anyone with the long bed been dissapointed with it? If so, why?

I like the look of the short bed...at first I went with a short bed. Ended up trading that in on a long bed, if that says anything.

6. Can the Toyota factory roof-rails be installed on a Tacoma after market or is that something only the dealership will do at the time of order? I don't want a roof mounted after market Yakima/Thule set up, I'd like the rails that are attached to the vehicle.

The OEM roof rack can be installed any time you want. I'm planning on getting one within the next year or so...

7. I'm considering a 2007 Long bed 4x4 sport with 112k miles. See the link below. I don't know what service has been performed on this truck so I'm curious to know what I can reasonably expect to have to do in the next 6-12 months? Timing belts? Pumps, etc...? Is there anything invasive I might worry about coming up? It seems to be reasonably well taken care of

http://www.loveford.com/used-Lovelan...MU52N67Z452332

Pretty sure it has a timing chain. many people will say "It's a Toyota, it's just getting broken in", but it does have 100k+ miles of unknown driving on it. I would keep a better eye out for something a little newer with a kid on the way. If anything get an extended warranty or make sure you have a mechanic you REALLY TRUST go over the entire vehicle.

I think you could get that down to $16k OTD and I'd feel more comfortable with it....

8. About how many more miles can I reasonably expect to put on a motor with 112k already? I wanted to drive my 2004 into the ground but had to trade it in at about 140K so I'd love to know if I can expect to put 100+K miles on this truck given proper maintenance and care. Is that unrealistic?

There are plenty of people that have done this no problem, but I'd say buying used I have to doubt it. A wise man once told me that people dont trade their cars in just to "Get a new one" there's always somehting either wrong with it, or that doesnt fit their lives....

9. Do you guys have any qualms or issues with newer Tacomas being built in Baja, Mex? I heard tell of rumors/issues with those autos coming out of Mexico. Toyota at one point did all their manufacturing here in the states. What's your sense of the quality of the product coming out of Baja?

Tacoma's are big in the area, so it makes sense for them to produce them there. I had one from MEX, and my current one is from USA...only reason i took the USA one is to support the economy here...but Whatever...

That's it. You guys are awesome. Thanks for taking the time read through all this.
My thoughts are in red...if you have any other questions, let me know.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

for what its worth....This was my first truck

and my current one...

Old 04-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
Thanks!

The feedback is very much appreciated. My ideal truck is the 2012 (love the new grill and front bumper) with color keyed grille and rear fender. I just can't spring for a 30K+ truck at the moment.

Also, I was thinking 16K would be just the right price out the door. Not sure how excited they are to get rid of it. I might hold off though, we'll see.

Regardless, I really appreciate all the input.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Member Caught Off Road

Why not look for a DCLB NON-TRD model? That would let you afford a newer truck with less miles...maybe even a 2012...
Old 04-04-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Jaws9760 has a spectacular aura aboutJaws9760 has a spectacular aura about

Jaws9760's Tacoma Gallery
I'm enjoying the hell out of my 2013 TRD Sport DC long bed. My last rig was an '03 Cavalier so I thought the DCLB was going to feel longer than a wagon track. I was totally wrong though, it's still a short truck and whips around just fine in the woods.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
I am the one who knocks!
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have the double cab long bed, but the access cab with the long bed. I also wanted to vouch for the engine power. I had a 93 SR5 toyota pickup 4x4 with the V6. This tacoma engine is way more powerful and accelerates way faster.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
DCLB FTMFW

In before the DavidK " the hoodscoop is for looks package " BS
Old 04-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Member Caught Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
DCLB FTMFW

In before the DavidK " the hoodscoop is for looks package " BS
Haha, yeah...I'm sure it will turn into that...
Old 04-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
I could give a rip about the hood scoop, for the record.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
Why not look for a DCLB NON-TRD model? That would let you afford a newer truck with less miles...maybe even a 2012...
I like the TRD options, most especially the color keyed grille/bumper. There are also some other bits like the sliding rear window and others that are important to me.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like the TRD options, most especially the color keyed grille/bumper. There are also some other bits like the sliding rear window and others that are important to me.
You know the Sport models don't have a locker right ?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Quote:
You know the Sport models don't have a locker right ?
Yep. I think only the off road package has that, right? I needed it once on my '04 in Mexico, but that's it in the nearly 10 years I owned it. With BFG All Terrain's and the 4x4 I was rarely ever stuck.

I'm not a big rock crawler type either, so I figured the off-road isn't necessary.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep. I think only the off road package has that, right? I needed it once on my '04 in Mexico, but that's it in the nearly 10 years I owned it. With BFG All Terrain's and the 4x4 I was rarely ever stuck.

I'm not a big rock crawler type either, so I figured the off-road isn't necessary.
K

I've never had any issues with my DCLB Sport 4x4 as far as getting where I need to go , no rock crawling for me either
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
Quote:
K

I've never had any issues with my DCLB Sport 4x4 as far as getting where I need to go , no rock crawling for me either
Speaking of the off-road package on the short-beds and non-double cabs, what if any advantages other than the locker does it provide? Specs say it has a beefier suspension, perhaps some better shocks, is that it? Down hill assist control, etc...? Are those worth the extra couple $K?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
I am the one who knocks!
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Speaking of the off-road package on the short-beds and non-double cabs, what if any advantages other than the locker does it provide? Specs say it has a beefier suspension, perhaps some better shocks, is that it? Down hill assist control, etc...? Are those worth the extra couple $K?
Offroad has locker, ATRAC, front tow hook, "offroad tuned suspension" as opposed to "sport tuned suspension". Downhill assist is on both offroad and sport automatics. The ATRAC and locker are the big differences. It's really up to the individual buying whether its worth it or not. For me it was worth it.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #17
802Tacoma is on a distinguished road
802Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have an '08 double cab long bed. I have two kids still in car seats that fit well in the back. I am tall so it does get a little tight but not uncomfortable. I put a cap on it when I had kids. As far as power, I have a 16' double axle trailer that I use for firewood and other stuff and has always pulled it easily. I had the leaf spring TSB done but still have significant sag so I am going to get the firestone ride rites. As far as offroading is concerned, I have always gotten where I need to go. Living in Vermont, driving on paved roads is like offroading. Any turn off a main road turns to dirt and mud. Always handled mud season well. It handles snow and crap weather well, recommend snow tires and a little weight. I do agree with the other member about holding out for a truck with a few less miles, especially if you want to drive into the ground. Someone trading in a truck with 112000 miles on probably hammered the hell out of it for that time. Hope I helped, good luck. You won't be disappointed whatever you buy.
Cheers
Old 04-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
Offroad has locker, ATRAC, front tow hook, "offroad tuned suspension" as opposed to "sport tuned suspension". Downhill assist is on both offroad and sport automatics. The ATRAC and locker are the big differences. It's really up to the individual buying whether its worth it or not. For me it was worth it.
True in a '09 and newer Offroad 4x4

OP said he was looking at 05-11
Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
MOλΩN λABE
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
That price is ridiculous...check out kbb for it.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
ORTaco09 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ORTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
K

Yup. I've taken my Taco places I used to take my wrangler. Taco did just fine, maybe even a little better in low 4. I have a 09 SR5. The only thing the wrangler has on my taco is turning radius, but then again it's a truck.