First time posting here. Did a quick search, but didn't see any sort of general question post like this so please forgive me if this is redundant for you:
I'm looking at several used 2005-2011 Tacoma's. Specifically I'm eyeing the 4x4 long bed with the Sport package. Now, I had a 2004 extended cab with the Off-road package and it was glorious. I am now married and about to have a baby so I need a double cab, for sure. My questions are based on my great experience with the 2004 and so I'm trying to get a better idea of what I can expect the experience to be like with the long bed.
1. Is the long bed significantly heavier than the short-bed double cab? Looking at the stats I think the short-bed weighs 4080 lbs and the long bed 4135. Is that about right? I'm guessing its not noticeable but I can't be certain.
2. How does the VVTI V6 compare to the V6's in 2004 and earlier models? I'm not an engine/physics/fluids guy, nor am I technically savvy with motors. Is it generally more powerful than the older engine technology? Will it be under-powered going up hills? I don't tow anything but I do drive up into the mountains in CO and my 2004 V6 tacked at 4000rpms easily when I climbed up into the rockies on. I really had to push it, and I'd like to know if I can generally expect to have the same kind of experience.
3. Relative to that, what affordable aftermarket modifications can be done to improve power if it's lacking?
4. How does the long bed double cab model handle off-road compared to the short-bed? Have you guys had any issues with the long bed when off-road where you wouldn't have had them in the short bed? I probably won't be doing any rock-crawling, but I will be going through snow and wheeling on forrest service roads when possible. I'd prefer the long bed size for functionality, but if it's a significant detriment to the overall use of the truck off-road I might reconsider.
5. Has anyone with the long bed been dissapointed with it? If so, why?
6. Can the Toyota factory roof-rails be installed on a Tacoma after market or is that something only the dealership will do at the time of order? I don't want a roof mounted after market Yakima/Thule set up, I'd like the rails that are attached to the vehicle.
7. I'm considering a 2007 Long bed 4x4 sport with 112k miles. See the link below. I don't know what service has been performed on this truck so I'm curious to know what I can reasonably expect to have to do in the next 6-12 months? Timing belts? Pumps, etc...? Is there anything invasive I might worry about coming up? It seems to be reasonably well taken care of
8. About how many more miles can I reasonably expect to put on a motor with 112k already? I wanted to drive my 2004 into the ground but had to trade it in at about 140K so I'd love to know if I can expect to put 100+K miles on this truck given proper maintenance and care. Is that unrealistic?
9. Do you guys have any qualms or issues with newer Tacomas being built in Baja, Mex? I heard tell of rumors/issues with those autos coming out of Mexico. Toyota at one point did all their manufacturing here in the states. What's your sense of the quality of the product coming out of Baja?
That's it. You guys are awesome. Thanks for taking the time read through all this.