Notices

Transmission Slipping

Old 04-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
the dude man is on a distinguished road
the dude man's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Slipping

Hey Fellas.

09 DCSB V6 Auto Base . 61K miles.

My transmission has started slipping recently. Only when its cold -- say within 5 miles or 5 minutes after startup. It is pretty infrequent, maybe 1or 2 slips every other day. It usually happens when it should shift from 3-4, the trans will go to 2nd for half a second and then into 4th. When it does happen I'm just accelerating normally and not doing anything weird.

So I browsed around this forum and decided to take it in to the dealship for a drain and fill about 2 weeks ago. Needless to say not much changed and every once in awhile it will slip when its cold.

I checked out around the trans and there isn't any leaking that I can see, and there arent any drops on the driveway.

Maybe I'll do a flush? Is there anything else you'd suggest before someone cracks open the trans? I don't know a whold heck of alot about cars, but I assume this will slowly get worse.

I hate to admit it but maybe I'll just cut my losses and get a minivan. The 2nd kid will be here shortly, and I don't want to drop 2 grand on a fix. I'm disappointed because its been a great olittle truck otherwise.

I should also add that it's never towed anything, and the most weight its had in the be was a few hundred pounds of firewood.

So suggestions welcome......

Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Ask if they'd cover it under power train warranty, just sayin my dodges pt warranty is superior to that of a taco
Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Ya I lied. Its prolly closer to 64K by now, but lets just assume they won't cover it.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Ask atleast, some transmissions start to slip if there isn't enough fluid but y'all have sealed trannies. How did the old fluid look? Can you get a small sample and send it to black stone labs
Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #5
CaptK2 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Merchant marine
CaptK2's Tacoma Gallery
How did you make out with the tranny ? I am having the same problem!
Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
Its not resolved. I thought it may be an issue with a faulty brake switch I had. But it wasn't. Another guy on here said he had the same issue and it turned out to be the throttle body. So I bought some cleaner and maf cleaner that I'll give a try when it warms up.

Basically it goes away when it warms up, and gets worse when its colder....
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
When the dealer changed the fluid , did they say anything about the condition of the fluid ?
Did they test drive the truck to duplicate the problem ?
Have you checked the trans level yourself to be sure the dealer filled the trans correctly ? Lot of people on this site reporting the trans was low after a dealer fluid change .
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
CaptK2 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Merchant marine
CaptK2's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission slipping .

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude man View Post
Hey Fellas.

09 DCSB V6 Auto Base . 61K miles.

My transmission has started slipping recently. Only when its cold -- say within 5 miles or 5 minutes after startup. It is pretty infrequent, maybe 1or 2 slips every other day. It usually happens when it should shift from 3-4, the trans will go to 2nd for half a second and then into 4th. When it does happen I'm just accelerating normally and not doing anything weird.

So I browsed around this forum and decided to take it in to the dealship for a drain and fill about 2 weeks ago. Needless to say not much changed and every once in awhile it will slip when its cold.

I checked out around the trans and there isn't any leaking that I can see, and there arent any drops on the driveway.

Maybe I'll do a flush? Is there anything else you'd suggest before someone cracks open the trans? I don't know a whold heck of alot about cars, but I assume this will slowly get worse.

I hate to admit it but maybe I'll just cut my losses and get a minivan. The 2nd kid will be here shortly, and I don't want to drop 2 grand on a fix. I'm disappointed because its been a great olittle truck otherwise.

I should also add that it's never towed anything, and the most weight its had in the be was a few hundred pounds of firewood.

So suggestions welcome......

Thanks

Toyota put a new transmission in my truck , the factory never filled it completely. Yesterday I was doing the first 20 mile drive after replacement and I heard a giant loud crack , back to the dealer ....;(
Take yours in and
make them check the fluid !