Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

UCA's, Built Right Vs. LR Vs. icon

Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
tacomamike19 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
tacomamike19's Tacoma Gallery
UCA's, Built Right Vs. LR Vs. icon

Looking into new Upper Control Arms for my truck. Its come down to Light racing which seems to be a popular choice, Built Rights which i have seen a few good things about and the Icon uniballs that are available through Toytec.

I've got a 2.5" lift and have been looking to do this for some time just not sure which ones to go with.

The truck is used mainly as a daily driver with occasional offroad use.

Just looking for some feed back on peoples experiences with each option, or if one is better than the other.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
JpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant futureJpAdct has a brilliant future
Law Enforcement:
JpAdct's Tacoma Gallery
Bump, interested in learning more myself.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
If you only do occasional offroading, I think LR(aka ball-joint) will do you well. Uniball's have more articulation but are not sealed.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Personally i went with the Desert Products Boxed UCA's from DSM, great price and awesome product!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I would say light racing UCAs if your not doing high speed, or real extreme offroading. 2 reasons mainly, one is price, you can get a set from headstrong offroad for $375 shipped. The other reason is they use a balljoint style with a boot so they require less maintenance and are less likely to squeak like some uniballs are known to. Added benefits are the adjustable alignment settings and they offer 20* more articulation over stock. Uniballs have "cleaner" travel and in my opinion are not worth it unless you do high speed stuff or pair them with higher end coilovers, especially extended travel coilovers.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
I am an Icon/Total Chaos whore so either of those will do. I had TC UCA on my 2010 4runner and those were extremely well made as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
I love my TCs. No squeaks yet...
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #8
Shipwreck is on a distinguished road

Name: Johan
Shipwreck's Tacoma Gallery
I know this thread is a little old but I need some assistance too.

I installed the toytec 3" lift (#" spacer upfront, diff drop and AAL in the rear) and my wheel alignment has been a little wonky ever since. So I would like to add UCA to correct this issue and I am not sure which ones to go with? I have no clue what is better and I have looked at some Camburg UCA on toytec's website and they were $399 but you had to move your OEM ball joints over. Is that something worth doing> They said the 2010 tacos ball joints are stronger.... IDUNNO???

Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW I have 2010 Base DC with a 3" lift and 265\70\16 tires and the TRD off road wheels if that helps any.