Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ring n pinion swap / MT speedo gears.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Ring n pinion swap / MT speedo gears.

I'm likely getting 4.56 gears put in to replace the stock 4.10s next week.

A 2008 2.7L with a manual transmission, 4wd, has the speedo coming off the transfer case, if I got that right. the gear is a 28 or 29 tooth, I can swap in either a 30 or 32 tooth gear to aid in recalibrating the speedometer.

Has one of you done this to verify I'm on the right track?

If I got my info right, an automatic its off the ABS, MT isn't. Also, I'd rather avoid a reprogram/programmer unless necessary.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hmm, anyone done this to their gen 2?
Old 04-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
The speedo is on the transfer case not the tranny. I do not know where to get other teeth from but maybe try one from a 4runner or 1st gen Tacoma?
Thanks for the correction on the x-fer case, I mis-read my data.

At around $20, I'm going to buy the gear and put the swap to the test once the ring/pinion swap is done. If it goes just that easy there will be a quick writeup n a few photos.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
senile member

Yea, I was comparing the ttora data to my vin on these sites to make sure I referenced right.

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_...onentsID=33-04

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...ey_trimLevel=0
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know how it works out...
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
senile member

Sppedo Gears will be in next week I hope.

The 4.56 gear/pinions I got last week... real nice, low speed low rpm just around town is easy n smooth now.Truetrac is quite nice too.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
senile member

Some final data on these gears. The usual YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for you own work and research applies. Not real hard mod to do though, just be thorough.

2008 2.7L reg cab manual 5 speed has the gears off the transfer case on the passenger side. The TTORA data mostly works for this transmission, but it supports gen1 mostly. My stock gear is a 29 tooth, yours might vary.

I bought a 30 and 32 tooth gear sub assembly. My suspicion that the 32 wouldn't work, was right. It wouldn't go in because its too large, the inner worm gear can only work with a certain range of teeth. This appears to be 27, 28, 29, and 30. Gears are around $25

The stock parts have a stat saying n=29:11 , or n=30:11. There is no 31tooth ..... then it goes to N=32:13. I'm not going into the x-fer case to swap further, I'll regear further with 235/85 r16 or 265/75 r16. Those are both31.7" tall.

29t to 30 t yields a 3.5% speedo correction.. 4.56 gear swap incurred 11% change roughly.
31.7" tire will yield approximately 4.2% , totaling 7.7% of 11%. It'll do just fine from there.

http://ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Speedometer_error
The link above works fine for swapping the gears. Simply locate the speedometer unit, unbolt 12mm bolt, pull out unit. Its a precise fit, but not too tight. Pull the retaining clip, gear slide out . Reverse process to reinstall, use new clip and GET in the GROOVE, use the new gasket too, old might rework, I didn't try.

Tire data for a stock Tacoma w 4.1 gears & 245/75 r16 setup.... usual Tacoma speedometer error won't apply in this math.
After 4.56 swap with stock 29T, 60mph on the speedometer = 50mph on gps, after 30T 52.6 mph
after 4.56 swap with stock 29T, 40mph speedo = 33mph , 34.5 mph with the 30T.
.....20 speedo was 16 w 29T..... 17.5mph w 30T.

What I don't know..
6 speed manual, it might be the same, might be on abs.
would a 31 pressed on to a stock shaft work? no idea.

Is this worth doing for you? maybe not. If the speedo remains innacurate you still better monitor a GPS or know how to work the math for speed adjustments. I have no regrets trying. The 4.56 gear and trutrac were worth it, so whats another $25.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #9
senile member

Got my235/85 r16's on today. So far I like them. Basically before all this, 70/speedometer was 65mph/gps , now its 63.6mph/gps or so. just over 1 extra mile drop.

I might drop some photos of the duratracs on my reg cab somewhere tomorrow, might link to here, maybe reg cab thread, don't think we need another new tire thread in all.