Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thinking of returning my muffler back to stock

Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery

I have an Aero Turbine. It is loud... too loud. The drone inside the cab is awful, and it is really deafening to people outside. At first I liked it, but now I'm sick of it.

Sure if I had a 5.0 Mustang or a 5.2 Silverado a loud muffler would sound awesome. But in my opinion, the V6 Tacoma sounds like a ricer 4banger no matter what muffler you put on it, it's just the design of the engine.

I put a short ram intake on and that really does add a lot of sound in the engine compartment. I would be happy having a louder engine intake than a loud muffler.

Does anybody blame me for wanting to go back to a stock muffler on a 2nd gen Tacoma?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
I don't blame you at all. I will never put exhaust on my Tacoma. I just don't like the sound. Like you said, it sounds like a fart can civic. I want to be quiet when creeping through the trails at night anyways.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
I don't blame you either.

I put an Injen CAI in my civic. Loved that it was quiet while cruising, but if I wanted to make a little noise, I knew I could.

My buddy also had a civic, but it had an aftermarket exhaust. I hated cruising in his car.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Same reason I took off my Trd. There have been.people that have gotten good results from putting a vibrant resonator in line to kill the drone. Also APR makes a pulse tuned y pipe designed to specifically address the ricy sound of the 2nd gen taco. Apparently it has to do with the timing of the exhaust pulses meeting in the y pipe...
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
I think I'm getting the Fear.
MY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shedMY50cal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53-E Crewchief/Mechanic, HMH-464
Name: Mojo
MY50cal's Tacoma Gallery
Def don't blame you. I've had a flowmaster on for a few years now... the drone wasn't bad a first and it sounded great.

Now that it's well broke in and I dumped the exhaust, the drone is driving me nuts.

As soon as I find a stock muffler for cheap the flowmaster is getting tossed.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Geoff C is on a distinguished road
Geoff C's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with ya. The only thing I like loud exhausts on are V8's and 2 strokes.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running a flowmaster on my 1st gen 2.7 and other than the drone, I'm quite happy with it.

Magnaflow makes a very subtle exhaust, I'm running their muffler on my 5.7 Tahoe and it has a very nice grunt, but hardly loud enough to hear inside the cab.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Personal preference. My Magnaflow is perfect.
+1. I can make my Magnaflow get loud if I want it too, but for normal driving around town its not much louder than stock. Sounds a billion times better though.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #10
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Personal preference. My Magnaflow is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
+1. I can make my Magnaflow get loud if I want it too, but for normal driving around town its not much louder than stock. Sounds a billion times better though.
What size Magnaflow are you running? I've heard 18" is quiet and I've also heard it is still loud. I know everyone has their own opinion as to what loud is. I just want to have a deeper and meaner tone to it without being loud since it isn't a V8. Can't decide if the 18" is the way to go or if I should go to a 20"? IMO listening to sound clips on the computer doesn't give me the idea of what I need to decide. I wish I had a local guy running one or the other to help me decide.

On a side note, I never intended to do any mods to the engine or exhaust for the most part. That was until I recently won the CAI drawing on here. I went with the AFE stage 2 which did give the engine a little bit of a meaner tone, now I want the exhaust to go with it.

Edit: Khaos I see your sig says 18".
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
The 18" is quiet until about 2300RPM, then it really comes to life. Unless your driving aggressively its only slighter louder than stock though.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
bra is on a distinguished road

bra's Tacoma Gallery
I took off my magnaflow 1 week after I installed it. Too loud and the sound was very bad. The stock one with its silent is the way to go on these trucks. I expected a tone like V8 engines but it sounded like shit
Old 04-07-2013, 02:41 AM   #13
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
You should switch to magnaflow part #12286 its a 24" body sized muffler. I'm doing the switch soon myself! I'm taking off a magnapack in which most would say is louder than a AT or even a 10 series flowmaster!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Been debating getting a different pipe for a while... I don't really want something loud I just don't want to hear my stupid clicky motor anymore. Maybe a CAI is what I need
Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
MikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shedMikeyMcFly is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand the reason for exhaust on a V6 truck period honestly. I like being able to drive around without having everyone around me hear me.

Then again, my car can be heard from roughly a quarter mile away, so it's nice to have something quiet once and awhile.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:33 AM   #16
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery

Just for whoever.... I have a brand new 4cyl factory muffler with tail pipe if anyone wants it!!! Pick up only-Lexington KY. -free
Old 04-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
Poseidon is on a distinguished road

Name: Kevin
Poseidon's Tacoma Gallery
my last vehicle was a V8 GMC sierra 1500 with Flowmaster duals to the rear. when I got my tacoma, I realized how nice it was to just drive in the peace and quiet.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDJY View Post
Been debating getting a different pipe for a while... I don't really want something loud I just don't want to hear my stupid clicky motor anymore. Maybe a CAI is what I need
I have the AFe stage 2 and it does help cover up that "clicky" sound. It's a slight increase in noise under normal driving but you really hear it when you get on it. Kinda like an old 4 barrel carb.