Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Desing of a "Custom Aluminum Plate Tonneau"

Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
libagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to all

libagui's Tacoma Gallery
Design of a "Custom Aluminum Plate Tonneau"

Hey Guys:

I was drawing, designing my truck aluminum plate tonneau. Here I just put the cover drawing. reinforcement will be directly made at workshop.

I'm also thinking on doing it on gauge 16 steel plate, and then cover it with carbon fiber vinyl.

Corners are missing, just let the drawing without them.

Please, comment any improvement you should make to it….before I start building it.
Attached Thumbnails
Desing of a "Custom Aluminum Plate Tonneau"-tonneau-2-pieces-b.jpg   Desing of a "Custom Aluminum Plate Tonneau"-tonneau-2-pieces.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Going to be heavy making it out of steel.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Existing tonneaus on the market like my Extang Solid Fold use aluminum honeycomb sandwich panels. Newer ones use fiberglass skin with aluminum honeycomb core. You won't be able to achieve similar strength and weight with solid sheetmetal.

16 ga steel sheet is only 0.060" thick. Unless you add a lot of ribbing (which will drive up the weight), it won't be strong enough to support the weight of a man standing on top of the tonneau.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Go to Diamondback for ideas- mounting ideas, locks, struts for doors, etc. I like your design, they make several options but none like yours.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, props for building it yourself!
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
libagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to alllibagui is a name known to all

libagui's Tacoma Gallery
Well, the decision about material: aluminum diamond plate 16 gauge.
I started today building it. Next weekend I will finish the job.
The biggest problem was finding where to weld it, since aluminum needs to be welded with a high frequency welding machine.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSJ View Post
Go to Diamondback for ideas- mounting ideas, locks, struts for doors, etc. I like your design, they make several options but none like yours.
I was going to say the same thing

http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

libagui's Tacoma Gallery
This is how it is going
Attached Thumbnails
Desing of a "Custom Aluminum Plate Tonneau"-imag2470.jpg   Desing of a "Custom Aluminum Plate Tonneau"-imag2471.jpg   Desing of a "Custom Aluminum Plate Tonneau"-imag2472.jpg  
Old 04-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
That looks pretty cool but ill bet the sun reflection will be blinding.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #11

libagui's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=joneill03;6737003]That looks pretty cool but ill bet the sun reflection will be blinding.[/QUOT
I was taking about Sun light reflection with my wife. I have two options, 1) paint it black, 2) let aluminum shine fade with time.