Notices

Did My First Oil Change

Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
haider320 will become famous soon enough

Law Enforcement: Detective
haider320's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenlineJunky View Post
The 2.7 takes the same filter, from fram, as a ford ranger . a ph3614. 5/20 syn is what my manual says, 2013.
Fram filter
Old 04-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #22
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindleshanks View Post
that 2011 uses a cartridge style oil filter in a housing...like Camry and Tundra, right? I've always wondered if that was easier to service. But I don't know about the 0w20...wouldn't be surprised, the manufacturers are doing all kinds of different stuff to the lube, filters, and intervals.
The FJ, Camry, and some of the other V6s (maybe even the Tundra 5.7?) are using the cartridge, but the Tacoma 4.0 is still up front on the left side of the engine.
Easiest filter change EVAR!

0w20 synthetic is factory fill for the 2.7, with 0w20 and 5w20 being acceptable, but the 4.0 still specifies 5w30.
0w20 and 5w20 have been acceptable in the 2.7 since 2005, and 5w20 has been acceptable even in the 1st Gen.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Toyota Oil Applications.pdf (27.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #23
ckyttle83 is just really niceckyttle83 is just really niceckyttle83 is just really niceckyttle83 is just really niceckyttle83 is just really nice

Name: Chris
ckyttle83's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, was the vehicle bought new? I was given 2 years or 36,000 miles free oil changes when I got mine. I went for my last freebee on Saturday and was pretty happy when they did over $1000 bucks of stuff for free. New heater box because it had a faint squeak you could only hear if the radio was off and the truck was idling. Brand new belts because they looked "glazed" and pads to quiet the squeaky leaf issue.

Will I go back to the dealer and pay $40 for an oil change which includes quality oem parts. Absolutely.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
Spindleshanks is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
Spindleshanks's Tacoma Gallery
A good dealership makes all the difference I've got 3 years free service on my new VW Turbodiesel, and that includes an expensive Mann/Hummel fuel filter every 20k miles, you bet I'm gonna use it!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
Tex-Tac is on a distinguished road
Tex-Tac's Tacoma Gallery
Fella's, believe it or not, on the 2012 Tacoma PreRunner 4 cyclinder engine the oil filter is basically hidden. It is 'old school' which means it is located way up underneath the engine's right side toward the back. So you have to 'crawl' underneath the truck inorder to remove and replace it, which sucks!

But, basically just about 'any' oil and oil filter brand is good for any vehicle make or model as long as it is changed at it's recommended interval time period (that is when your 'Maint. Required' light notifies & reminds you about it). Changing the oil and oil filter, air filter and spark plug's is practiced regularly then you won't have any engine problems as long as you own your vehicle.

For me using Mobil 1 oil and oil filter is what I've always used and I've been using it since I was 16 years old (back in the early 70's) and it has always worked excellent for me so I'm sticking with what has never let me down, has always worked for and has come through for me on every vehicle that I have owned and I'm not going to change now at my age.

Oh and by the way, I'm not trusting "anyone" or "anybody" to change the oil on our vehicles, whether it's 'free' or not. In my time I've heard to many horror stories of places not putting the oil drain plug back on correctly, not actually changing the oil, not fully draining the oil, people not knowning what they're actually doing, etc. etc. etc. fuck that!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #26
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcrna View Post
Must be a slow day in Yadkinville. You mean the boys aren't gathered around Goober's gas station today?
That's some funny shit for real...
Old 04-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #27
LeftyTom has a spectacular aura aboutLeftyTom has a spectacular aura about
LeftyTom's Tacoma Gallery
Hyuk, hyuk, chuckle, chuckle

The previous 3 oil changes were courtesy of the dealer. My 24 months/24K miles (whichever comes first) expired February 2013. This is the truck's 4th oil change.

My owner's manual indicated 0W20
Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #28
rtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrtn1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
rtn1911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindleshanks View Post
A good dealership makes all the difference I've got 3 years free service on my new VW Turbodiesel, and that includes an expensive Mann/Hummel fuel filter every 20k miles, you bet I'm gonna use it!
Probably not a bad idea to change that filter yourself so you can see if you're getting any metal shavings in the fuel system. The fuel system in the newer common rails seems to be a weak link.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #29
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-Tac View Post
Fella's, believe it or not, on the 2012 Tacoma PreRunner 4 cyclinder engine the oil filter is basically hidden. It is 'old school' which means it is located way up underneath the engine's right side toward the back. So you have to 'crawl' underneath the truck inorder to remove and replace it, which sucks!
Same with the '08 and earlier.
But it's better than the 22RE. It was HORIZONTAL on the side of the block, and the mounting surface was not extended enough to provide any kind of drip-path for the oil... it simply ran down the side of the block.
Quote:
But, basically just about 'any' oil and oil filter brand is good for any vehicle
True. Fram, and the new production Champion (E-Core) are pretty bad. The Champion E-Core filters include Champ, Supertech, STP, AC-Delco, and others.
Fram also does a lot of OEM including Microguard and Pennzoil.

Safe bet? Wix, Purolator, Bosch, Mobil-1, K&N, Toyota, Amsoil... I'm sure I missed a few on both lists.
Quote:
Oh and by the way, I'm not trusting "anyone" or "anybody" to change the oil on our vehicles, whether it's 'free' or not. In my time I've heard to many stories of places not putting the oil drain plug back on correctly, not actually changing the oil, not fully draining the oil, people not knowning what they're actually doing, etc. etc. etc. fuck that!
+1
Too many horror stories and screwups witnessed. Dealerships generally aren't bad, but there are some bad ones out there. Quick-Lube places? Avoid like the plague.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Same with the '08 and earlier.
But it's better than the 22RE. It was HORIZONTAL on the side of the block, and the mounting surface was not extended enough to provide any kind of drip-path for the oil... it simply ran down the side of the block.

True. Fram, and the new production Champion (E-Core) are pretty bad. The Champion E-Core filters include Champ, Supertech, STP, AC-Delco, and others.
Fram also does a lot of OEM including Microguard and Pennzoil.

Safe bet? Wix, Purolator, Bosch, Mobil-1, K&N, Toyota, Amsoil... I'm sure I missed a few on both lists.

+1
Too many horror stories and screwups witnessed. Dealerships generally aren't bad, but there are some bad ones out there. Quick-Lube places? Avoid like the plague.
Question: do the 4x4's use the same oil filter as the 2wd? The 4x4 motors have more engine oil. I've been using Amsoil filters, and they use the same filter for the 2.7l, the 4.0l, and my old Lexus GS300.

My old '97 2.7l the engine oil came out really clean, but with the GS300 and this 4.0l the oil gets dirty more quickly.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #31
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
I always heard the napa gold and carquest filters were WIX filters as well. I try to run those in everything.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
Question: do the 4x4's use the same oil filter as the 2wd? The 4x4 motors have more engine oil. I've been using Amsoil filters, and they use the same filter for the 2.7l, the 4.0l, and my old Lexus GS300.
Oil capacity is spec'd the same... might be a slight difference in level on the dipstick due to differences in the pan to clear the front diff?

The V6 does specify a different filter, but they are compatible. The V6 filter is an inch or so taller.... most Toyota engines (that use the spin-on filter) take the same filter. Some of the 4 cylinder engines use one that is smaller... wife's Rav4 takes the same filter that her Echo did.

I haven't opened up the two different Toyota filters, but a common trick pulled by the aftermarket (including Amsoil/Wix) is to use the same filter element in multiple housings. Whether the can is 3" tall or 5" tall, they all get the same 2.5" tall filter element.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Oil capacity is spec'd the same... might be a slight difference in level on the dipstick due to differences in the pan to clear the front diff?

The V6 does specify a different filter, but they are compatible. The V6 filter is an inch or so taller.... most Toyota engines (that use the spin-on filter) take the same filter. Some of the 4 cylinder engines use one that is smaller... wife's Rav4 takes the same filter that her Echo did.

I haven't opened up the two different Toyota filters, but a common trick pulled by the aftermarket (including Amsoil/Wix) is to use the same filter element in multiple housings. Whether the can is 3" tall or 5" tall, they all get the same 2.5" tall filter element.
Well, the 2012 owners manual shows 6.1 qts for the 2.7l (with filter) and doesn't specify a difference for 4wd.

4.8 qt for the 4.0l 2wd with filter, 5.5 qt with filter for the 4wd. You'd think the 4.0l would have the larger oil capacity with the extra valve train and cylinders.

I think my old '97 2.7l 4wd had more engine oil capacity than the 2wd 2.7l.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #34

4.8? Sounds low. Seems everyone is installing 5.5 to 6qts and it's looking good on the dipstick.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #35
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-Tac View Post
You just now changed the oil on your vehicle at 19,982 miles? Or are you saying that you, yourself, for the very first time, did the oil change yourself? If you, yourself, did the oil change for the very first time, hey good.
But if your just now, getting around to change the oil on your Tacoma (what year by the way?) just after 19,982 miles WOW! I take it the 'Maintence Required' Instrument dash panel light is working correctly?!

You say that you used 0W-20?
Is that the oil weight that your manual says to use?
Yes, changing the oil is quite a simple process.

Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil is the 'best oil' to use as well as the Mobil 1 oil filters, expensive but well worth it in my opinion. Believe it or not been using Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil and Mobil 1 oil filters since the very begining and all three vehicles have been running smoothly!

Last Saturday I changed the oil on my Tacoma, my wifes 4Runner and my daughters Tacoma. Not only that but I also change the air filters and cabin filters at that time as well. Also change the spark plugs twice a year for each vehicle, all Toyota parts of course.
I record the mileage at each oil change for each vehicle and currently my 2008 Odometer shows it at: 132,034.... my wifes 2003: 222,033....and my daughters 2012: 10,751 miles.
My 2008 Tacoma' (6 cycl.) manual says to use 5W-30 as well as my wifes 2003 4Runner (6 cycl.).
My daughters 2012 Tacoma (4 cycl.) manual says to use 0W-20.

So I'm assuming that your's is also a 4 cyclinder engine if your using 0W-20 oil weight?
you realize the 4 banger taco's plugs are meant to be ran 100,000 miles between changes? 30k with the v6. you're throwing away money my friend. that, or driving A LOT.