Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Spark Plugs

Old 04-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
adin1978 is on a distinguished road
Name: Adam
adin1978's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plugs

I just got my oil changed today on my 2012 Tacoma. Is it true that the spark plugs are only rated for 35k miles?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
stump jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Actually 30. I did the first set at 30. They looked good. Did second at 40. I would say 40 is good. Little bit off gap deterioration.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
topcathr is on a distinguished road
topcathr's Tacoma Gallery
plugs

i just did my plugs today 30,000 miles and they were still good..............
Old 04-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
Do the solenoids also need to be replaced? Why so soon? Are they just cheaper spark plugs?
Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
don't replace the coils until they/re not working. they should be good for the life of the truck. you/ll get a misfire if a coil goes.

the plugs are not platinum or anything special, and so far nobody recommends running anything but factory ngk or denso. run those and replace them every 30-40k, your truck will thank you
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
stump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedstump jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Had the 100k plugs in my Ford. A lot of people did not go that long because they could get hard to get out.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stump jumper View Post
Had the 100k plugs in my Ford. A lot of people did not go that long because they could get hard to get out.
A co-worker of mine just figured that out. 6 out of 8 plugs broke off in the head. He ended up replacing both heads (it was cheaper than paying the labor to extract the plugs).

FWIW, I replaced my plugs at 40k and 80k miles. The gap wasn't terribly far out and the plugs looked ok but ready for a change out. The plugs actually looked better after then 40-80k mile change than they did in the 0-40k mile change.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Changing plugs early is a cheap and fast way of making your truck run better...do it at 30k, takes a few hours, get a long plug socket and good extensions.

Howard
Old 04-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Changing plugs early is a cheap and fast way of making your truck run better...do it at 30k, takes a few hours, get a long plug socket and good extensions.

Howard
took me an hour the first time. Less the second.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Just stuck in E3's this morning, with 28869 on the clock. The originals were a 50/50 mix of Denso and NKG, and looked perfect, kept 'em. First drive, and tip in throttle response seems better, off idle to like 2000 rpm. Been keeping close track of milage lately, driving 55 miles one way will do that, we'll see if there is an improvement.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #11
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post

Howard
A half hour job at best when you get the hang of it.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
lpfm1990 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
lpfm1990's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lpfm1990
so what plugs are the best to go for? im at 18k by fall should be knockin on 30k, rather change out earlier while its warm out, then cold and hopefully snowy, my snowmobiles and stuff, i change them out once a year, best money you can spend to make something run at peak, and run consistant in my eyes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #14
lpfm1990 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
lpfm1990's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to lpfm1990
sometimes stock isnt always best, some motors dont like one, but love the other, like lawnmowers usually come with champions, but love ngk's, etc
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Check Ebay. I got 6 Denso's for $19 and change shipped. Dealer around here charges $6/plug.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #16
grrillA has a spectacular aura aboutgrrillA has a spectacular aura aboutgrrillA has a spectacular aura about

grrillA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Check Ebay. I got 6 Denso's for $19 and change shipped. Dealer around here charges $6/plug.
what ebay seller was that ?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 AM   #17

I got mine from Rock auto. Best price I found. Like $3 per. I needed plugs for my boat too and was hoping to pay once for postage. Did not work because they came from 2 places.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
pjchrisrvm is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
pjchrisrvm's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing the plugs every 30k is a very affordable way to keep your truck running efficiently. And it takes all of 30 mins to do. While you are in there it would be smart to clean your throttle body and cleaned injectors with a pressure injector cleaner.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
Does anyone know which Denso is used? I would prefer not to buy from the dealer if possible. I have a 2012 crew cab 2wd V6.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
Greytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreytacoma1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dave
Greytacoma1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by adin1978 View Post
Does anyone know which Denso is used? I would prefer not to buy from the dealer if possible. I have a 2012 crew cab 2wd V6.
Just don't get sold on any platinum/Bosch that they say is the best at AutoZone.