Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Right side sqeaking over bumps -- video!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Rillow is on a distinguished road
Rillow's Tacoma Gallery
Right side sqeaking over bumps -- video!

Hey guys, I'm not sure if there is a TSB for this because I have no idea where it's coming from. Over bumps only on the right side (almost certain it's in the front) I get this mouse-like speaking sound. Right now I have some well past due tires and steel wheels. These are coming off Monday and I'm not sure whether these would even be a factor or not, but I am just giving some more info.

When I physically push up and down on the front right bumper I get a different sound it's rubbery and it sounds like the tire is squishing/rubbing into the plastic caps. I'm pretty sure these have no relation at all, but that's why I'm posting.

Here's the video. http://youtu.be/0KrfmeeHDy0

Near the end after I pull into the driveway I'm trying to get my heat-shield (I think) to rattle; this only happens after a cold start. Also when I brake at lights (or brake anywhere) I get a disgusting gnawing sound coming from somewhere in the access cab it's almost like some plastic interior is vibrating at like.. 1,000 mph. I'm terrible at locating and narrowing down problems like this.

Those two are entirely separate issues that have been there since I got it, it has over 165k and I don't expect the thing to be silent.

I'm only really concerned with this annoying squeak that recently popped up.

Thanks in advance.

Please don't mind the hula girl
Old 04-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
ailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ailll1's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds a like leaf spring squeak. But if you're sure its up front then IDK.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Rillow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailll1 View Post
Sounds a like leaf spring squeak. But if you're sure its up front then IDK.
Yeah that's what I thought at first, but it echoes so bad that I can't really triangulate it. I guess I'll pressure wash it and put some sort of lube on to see if it fixes it.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
05BDS is on a distinguished road
05BDS's Tacoma Gallery
Check the leafsprings ! Theirs these little riser pads that fit in between the leafsprings made of a rubber like material. They have new ones at the dealership for around 10 bucks If I recall correctly, the new ones are oil based, and don't squeak at all. !
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Rillow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05BDS View Post
Check the leafsprings ! Theirs these little riser pads that fit in between the leafsprings made of a rubber like material. They have new ones at the dealership for around 10 bucks If I recall correctly, the new ones are oil based, and don't squeak at all. !
Cool. Are those hard to put in yourself?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you and I have the same issue. Just recently(last 2k miles) I've noticed it. Front driverside, I thought maybe it was time for me to rebuild my coilovers. Every bump on the road(sewer drain and such) it squeeks.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Rillow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
Sounds like you and I have the same issue. Just recently(last 2k miles) I've noticed it. Front driverside, I thought maybe it was time for me to rebuild my coilovers. Every bump on the road(sewer drain and such) it squeeks.
Yeah I don't really know anything about cars either. The sound gets pretty old after awhile.

Like I said though the tires and wheels are well past due. Monday I'm switching them out. I doubt this is the case with yours, but I'm hoping it fixes the sound. It's pretty much just blind hope.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
ailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ailll1's Tacoma Gallery
Look at that: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-leaf-fix.html
Seems like an easy fix to me. Worth to try.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
2011Streaker will become famous soon enough2011Streaker will become famous soon enough
Law Enforcement:
2011Streaker's Tacoma Gallery
couldnt hear shit over that squeaking blower motor
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #11

ailll1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Streaker View Post
Blower wasn't even on... Must be some poor sound quality.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Rillow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Streaker View Post
What are you even talking about? I can add annotations to the video where the squeaking starts if you want.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
wareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
wareagle1's Tacoma Gallery
Had the same squeak from the front. Could hear it going over speed bumps, etc. It never got louder, it was always the same "volume" no matter the bumps size. I was waxing the trucks front bumper one day around the fog light area and was able to reproduce the squeak. Did some research and the best explanation I could find was the bumper mounts. Turns out that they are aluminum and are bolted to steel. The two different metals produce the squeak. It drove me crazy but I learned to deal with it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
xpocad has a spectacular aura aboutxpocad has a spectacular aura about

Name: Bryan
xpocad's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a lift or leveling kit?

Check your front coils to make sure they are not rubbing anywhere. (look for paint damage) If so, then the coils were installed 180* backwards.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #16
Rillow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle1 View Post
Had the same squeak from the front. Could hear it going over speed bumps, etc. It never got louder, it was always the same "volume" no matter the bumps size. I was waxing the trucks front bumper one day around the fog light area and was able to reproduce the squeak. Did some research and the best explanation I could find was the bumper mounts. Turns out that they are aluminum and are bolted to steel. The two different metals produce the squeak. It drove me crazy but I learned to deal with it.
Yeah I'll check that out. When I hop in the back I really don't hear anything when I jump up and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
I have the same issue on my front driver side...its my uca ball joint...not sure what setup you have, but after I lube it up it goes away for a day or two.
I'll try this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpocad View Post
Do you have a lift or leveling kit?

Check your front coils to make sure they are not rubbing anywhere. (look for paint damage) If so, then the coils were installed 180* backwards.
As far as I know my setup is as stock as you can get, but I'll go check that and get back to you.