Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Most reliable year, engine, tranny combo?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
srp223 is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
srp223's Tacoma Gallery
Most reliable year, engine, tranny combo?

Hi, New to the site and looking at buying a 2006-2011 tacoma. I would like to know if there are any years or engines to avoid because of known problems.

Also, which engine and tranny is more reliable? 4 or v6? auto or manual. I don't mind less power, and enjoy getting the best mileage possible, but reliability is more important.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Oh jees. Welcome to TW , but you just restarted a fire.

Best mpg is likely 4 cyl w auto , reliability might be the same but a manual trans. I don't think one engine is proven more reliable over the other, just perhaps lower maintenance on the 2.7L
Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
its more the Auto transmission vs Manual transmission... more owners have experiences a plethora of issues with the manual transmissions
Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Fire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant futureFire252fighter has a brilliant future

Firefighter:
Name: Mike
Fire252fighter's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome. I have the 09 and dig the led tail lights... But seriously I have had 4 cylinders before and will never go back v6 got balls. If you have driven a stick before this one will be tough to get used to. Due to what I have been told is engine computer mapping issues I have gotten used to it tho. Consider traffic and what not but really I'd say its all up to you.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 4.0 auto love it but if you get one be ready for TICK TICK TICK TICK sound (its normal tho)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Motor reliability is fine for both.

The 2005s and early '06s had some problems with the manual transmissions. Weak synchros and shift forks. Toyota updated the tranny and parts in late 06 to make it more robust.

Example: http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...31#post2017331

The 05s and early 06s also had some problems with engine mounts on the frame failing. They were redesigned in late 06 as well to a much beefier setup.

Manual tranny throwout bearing sometimes has issues for folks.

I say auto tranny with whichever engine you want.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
05 06 had motor mount issues. IMO the most reliable trucks are the first gen. I had an 01 that had 285000 miles and never had a hiccup once. It also just felt better built than my 05.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
2010 V6 auto Taco is the most reliable truck ever built in the history of history (please please please please God let it be true).
Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
Boost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to allBoost JuNkY is a name known to all

Name: Billy
Boost JuNkY's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had both Auto (08) and Manual (06) V6's. Engine is well built, doesnt consume oil.
Auto trans felt more solid to me. Not that there's anything wrong with manual but you can't dump clutches on these very hard. I enjoy the 6 speed more though.
09+ gets the electronic traction control and/or locker
05-08 Mechanical LSD or locker

I chose the 06 with mech LSD as I like to slide the truck at times [haha] but if I were to do it again, Id chose the later with A-trac and locker.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by srp223 View Post
Hi, New to the site and looking at buying a 2006-2011 tacoma. I would like to know if there are any years or engines to avoid because of known problems.

Also, which engine and tranny is more reliable? 4 or v6? auto or manual. I don't mind less power, and enjoy getting the best mileage possible, but reliability is more important.

Thanks
Welcome to TW!

I'd be more concerned with making the best choices for your needs; there are no bad options. If a 2WD 4cyl MT is a good fit for you, go for it. OTOH, if you'll be towing, driving in heavy traffic, like a higher trim level, and/or want to do a lot of offroading, there may be better options.

Also, before you get too excited about a specific deal, price a new truck first (include insurance and interest costs in your calculations). Late model Tacomas often have a high enough resale value that a new truck may not cost that much more.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Welcome to TW!

I'd be more concerned with making the best choices for your needs; there are no bad options. If a 2WD 4cyl MT is a good fit for you, go for it. OTOH, if you'll be towing, driving in heavy traffic, like a higher trim level, and/or want to do a lot of offroading, there may be better options.

Also, before you get too excited about a specific deal, price a new truck first (include insurance and interest costs in your calculations). Late model Tacomas often have a high enough resale value that a new truck may not cost that much more.
This is my experience!
I was going to buy a used truck and for what I was looking for used ran around 17 - 18K. $2,000 more got me a into a new one instead.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #12
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
All years
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
srp223 is on a distinguished road
srp223's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
This is may experience!
I was going to buy a used truck and for what I was looking for used ran around 17 - 18K. $2,000 more got me a into a new one instead.
$20 k bought a new truck? I think they are $30+ up here (Canada).

I work in the bush, so putting on lots of highway and dirt miles, with lots of skid trail driving too. The extra 2-3 mpg of a 4 cyl. means $500 a year by my estimate, which is not a big deal. Some reports show a difference of 5-6 mpg though. Is this realistic?

I will put on oversize tires as well. The biggest I can fit without a lift kit. Can the 4 cyl. turn these? I don't mind a low power, keeps me from getting speeding tickets!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
any 5vzfe and a340 combo...whose integrated atf cooler did not leak (small number had issues)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I work in the bush, so putting on lots of highway and dirt miles, with lots of skid trail driving too. The extra 2-3 mpg of a 4 cyl. means $500 a year by my estimate, which is not a big deal. Some reports show a difference of 5-6 mpg though. Is this realistic?

I will put on oversize tires as well. The biggest I can fit without a lift kit. Can the 4 cyl. turn these? I don't mind a low power, keeps me from getting speeding tickets!
I know Canadians get screwed on pricing, but the difference between late model used and new may be similar to the difference in the U.S.

You won't be able to fit much larger tires without a lift and some wheel well trimming, so the size upgrade you're considering probably wouldn't have a big impact on fuel economy; tire weight increase over OEM will probably more important than size.

If you add larger tires, armor, and the like, fuel economy will decrease. If you're interested in how a 4cyl will perform however you plan to set one up, start searching TW and I'm sure you'll find some answers.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
newfieDan is on a distinguished road
newfieDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Get the 13 Manual v6. Trust me, you won't be getting any speeding tickets.

I have a heavy foot but not with this truck. I just can't afford the fuel and the only way to get any halfway decent mpg's is to drive it like someones grandmother.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #17
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have a 2012 Prerunner, SR5. I remember it was $20,150 brand spankin new.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a '13 and have heard of 0 reported problems.. seems like the obvious choice. ;p
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
I have a 2012 Prerunner, SR5. I remember it was $20,150 brand spankin new.
He won't be buying a Prerunner up here , lol
Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #20

Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Yep! Gotta have a 4X4 when you are living in a frozen wasteland.