Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Extended Warranty

Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
tacomaFL is on a distinguished road
tacomaFL's Tacoma Gallery
Extended Warranty

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forums but have been coming to them to find answers for questions I had in the past. But I have a question that I could not find an answer for.

I have a 2010 4X4 SR5 Double Cab with 32,300 miles on it. The warranty is set to expire next month and I have been throwing around the idea of purchasing an extended warranty. So I went to one of the local Toyota dealerships here in south Florida to ask about the price. For the "Platinum" extended warranty they said I could get 6 years and 72,000 miles for $2,600-$2,700. I was wondering if anyone else has bought one recently and what price they paid. I am also wondering what everyones opinion on the usefulness of the warranty.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
I too have a 2010 but mine has 12,000 miles. I purchased the platinum a few months ago at the dealer I bought the truck from but I paid $1500 for 7 years 75,000.

In regards of the usefulness of the warranty, I figured if something should happen in the amount of years and miles, it's going to add up to more than $1500. And at least I know it will be worked on by the dealer, will be on the truck's records in the system and I won't have to worry about taking it to Joe Schmoe and wondering if his work is good or warrantied.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
This dealer appears to be offering 6 yr/75k for $660...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-warranty.html

If you look at the fine print for almost all extended warranties, they are underwritten by some financial- or insurance company. You are effectively buying repair insurance, which means on average you will lose out (i.e. spend less on repairs than what you paid for the warranty).
Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
I too have a 2010 but mine has 12,000 miles. I purchased the platinum a few months ago at the dealer I bought the truck from but I paid $1500 for 7 years 75,000.
I was expecting something in the $1400-$1800 range, but was not sure. Maybe the higher mileage adds an extra $1100 but that seems kind of excessive to me
Old 04-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
bassinman has a spectacular aura aboutbassinman has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Fighter mechanic, Vietnam era
Name: John
bassinman's Tacoma Gallery
Call Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson KS. I purchased a 72mo 72,000 Platinum no deductible warranty from him. Paid $659.00 two years ago. He's still selling for the best price around. It is a full-bore TOYOTA warranty-not third party.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
vtdog will become famous soon enough
vtdog's Tacoma Gallery
I got the full platinum when I bought my '11 at the dealer for $ 695. I did not have to haggle, that is what they offered.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaFL View Post
I was expecting something in the $1400-$1800 range, but was not sure. Maybe the higher mileage adds an extra $1100 but that seems kind of excessive to me

I was quoted as high as you were at first - but to be honest, I sat and chatted with the guy for a while and explained in a nice way how I thought it was too expensive, how there was one place out of state that is offering it for such and such amount. And that I've been taking my truck in faithfully on time for maintenance (which showed that there should be less issues later one).... He said something to the effect that no dealership can offer it BELOW a set price - forgot what price point that was - unless you are NOT getting the Toyota warranty, you are getting one that is subcontracted and has stipulations in small print.

Long story short, after about half hour, he offered me his "employee discount" but had to have it approved by his manager.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdog View Post
I got the full platinum when I bought my '11 at the dealer for $ 695. I did not have to haggle, that is what they offered.

How many years/miles?
Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
vtdog will become famous soon enough
vtdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
How many years/miles?
Bought it new. Its the 8 yr warranty (forget miles-not important as this is not my DD). In addition, the dealer offers his own free 100k "drive train" warranty to original owner (basically a tranny/engine big time failure deal). The only reason I took the extended warranty was because of A/C parts. I have had to replace condenser/evaporator on other cars and it was crazy expensive, even using rebuilds.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
spithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant futurespithead051 has a brilliant future

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
I'll tell you, I'm glad I bought mine.

6 months after my warranty was up the A/C compressor, blower fan, and climate controls all went out in a 3 month period. Cost of platinum care: $1600. Cost to repair the parts: $4500

If you get the true Toyota Platinum Warranty your experience at the dealer is no different than if you had the bumper to bumper. The only true difference is that the part has to actually be bad and you can't just complain of a noise or rattle.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post

6 months after my warranty was up the A/C compressor, blower fan, and climate controls all went out in a 3 month period. Cost of platinum care: $1600. Cost to repair the parts: $4500

If you get the true Toyota Platinum Warranty your experience at the dealer is no different than if you had the bumper to bumper. The only true difference is that the part has to actually be bad and you can't just complain of a noise or rattle.
It's kind of a gamble. It worked out for you but most so called money gurus advise against purchasing an etended warranty for anything. I used to think that way too but now I am beginning to think it may be a good idea as everything these days is made so cheap.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
05TacoSr5 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2T071 Traffic Management Craftsman
Name: Josh
05TacoSr5's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't buy one for the Tacoma, however I did buy one when I bought my wife's Civic. I bought a 6 year 120k, but I can't remember what I paid off the top of my head. My intention was simple. I didn't want my wife to be taken by the stealership for stupid things while I'm on the other size of the globe hunting to Ahchmed. However it's been 6 years next month and the car only has 95K. I say it was worth it for piece of mind.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Platinum extended warranty from Toyota if you want to get longer coverage. Don't mess around with third party extended plans. You can get a better price online as stated above.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdog View Post
Bought it new. Its the 8 yr warranty (forget miles-not important as this is not my DD). In addition, the dealer offers his own free 100k "drive train" warranty to original owner (basically a tranny/engine big time failure deal). The only reason I took the extended warranty was because of A/C parts. I have had to replace condenser/evaporator on other cars and it was crazy expensive, even using rebuilds.
You did good! Great price on the warranty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spithead051 View Post

This is the way I think too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoSr5 View Post
I didn't buy one for the Tacoma, however I did buy one when I bought my wife's Civic. I bought a 6 year 120k, but I can't remember what I paid off the top of my head. My intention was simple. I didn't want my wife to be taken by the stealership for stupid things while I'm on the other size of the globe hunting to Ahchmed. However it's been 6 years next month and the car only has 95K. I say it was worth it for piece of mind.
I agree!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
I have definitely been leaning towards purchasing the warranty but I'm not sure if I want to for 2700 dollars. I guess I'll have to see if I can find a better price at another dealer
Old 04-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #17
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
No sure what I paid for mine, ill have to look. But I got the extended 125,000 mile plus the paint and interior. I'm not rough on my vehicles on purpose but I'm not afraid to use them either so i figured it might help me. Only time and mileage will tell.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
05TacoSr5 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 2T071 Traffic Management Craftsman
Name: Josh
05TacoSr5's Tacoma Gallery
My wife and I are avid followers of Dave Ramsey and I know what his take on new cars and warranties are. However we're a one vehicle family and I'm in a profession where I can't afford to have a vehicle down and in the shop for even a day.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #19
stmcelroy is on a distinguished road

stmcelroy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoSr5 View Post
My wife and I are avid followers of Dave Ramsey and I know what his take on new cars and warranties are. However we're a one vehicle family and I'm in a profession where I can't afford to have a vehicle down and in the shop for even a day.

If it breaks you'll be without it for more than a day even with an extended warranty.

At that point you would just need to rent a vehicle to get by.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I personally have never purchased an extended warranty on any vehicle I've ever owned (quite a few). I haven't needed major repairs on this vehicle (knocking on wood) and I'm 78K currently. YMMV.