Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Have you dropped your Taco's spare tire yet?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #21
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Good point.. I got a flat on my xterra in the middle of GODNOWHERE at 2am once on a gnarly dirt road and had to figure out how to drop the spare. luckily it was a full size and inflated. I need to keep that in mind with future tire purchases.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post
Spares worthless if you're running oversized. Drop it and leave it off. Anyone figured out if a 33" will fit under there?
I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
You have to grind off the little wings that are closer to the cab and shove it under.

Matt
False. I found a way that does not involve cutting under the pickup.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #23
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
i did. literally, a week after i got my truck, i ran over a nail and had to run the spare cause i didnt have my wheels and tires yet. patched the tire and sold the set on the local craigslist. that awkward moment of having a brand new truck and one of the tires is a steelie :\.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #24
IluvmyTACO is on a distinguished road
Name: Brandon
IluvmyTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I did and it took like fifteen minutes and my mag-light to help... Finally got it and felt like an idiot
Old 04-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #25
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Dropped my tire and threw it away. Cut the chain off the thing, spares in the bed. No problem getting to it now
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i've done it twice. the last time was to flip it valve side down. it was a challenge on my driveway..out in the middle of nowhere, it will be a cuss-fest. that "hook-in-the-slot" thing is retarded..like turning a phillips screw with a flathead screwdriver..

i will search out this PVC thing.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #27
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryten View Post
^ Stock size tires are 265/65/17 and 265/70/16, but one size bigger 265/75/16 (32") tire still fits under the truck.

I have 4.5bs aftermarket rims with 265/75/16 AT tires mounted, and I also have a 16" OEM steelie with 265/75/16 AT tire as a spare to complete the set. Different offset, same size. Was told it will be fine so thats what I bought. Didn't have to use the spare from that set of (summer) tires yet.

First time I had to drop the spare on the Taco, it was -15F outside. Took a while.
Thank you!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #28
DesertTaco has a spectacular aura aboutDesertTaco has a spectacular aura about
DesertTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Another good idea is to put a small padlock on the center-lock insert at the bottom of the chain to keep thieves from stealing your spare. I spend a lot of time in Mexico with my Taco, and Hermosillo is full of Tacoma Sports sans spares.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #29
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
The only time I drop it is when the TPMS light comes on telling me the spare is low (can only be that since I check the others once a week).
X2, I also flipped my spare around so next time the TPMS light comes on I don't have to drop it the valve stem is pointing down.

Thanks ,

Brett
Old 04-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
Once you know 'the trick' to getting the spare dropped, its easy.

I had to do this last month. Came out one morning to go to work and the passenger side rear is flat.

Changing tire is one of the first things I make sure to know how to do on a vehicle....like, I practice it at least once the first weekend I have it.

Takes me about 10 minutes, 15 total with cleanup, putting all stuff back in its place, stowing the now flat spare, etc.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 AM   #31
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
I dropped it and lubed the cable two days after I bought my truck. I repeat that task a couple times a year. I want it to work correctly when / if I need to get to the spare.