Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Have you dropped your Taco's spare tire yet?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
aka Alley Opp,
undermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really nice

Name: Mark
undermoneyed's Tacoma Gallery
Have you dropped your Taco's spare tire yet?

If you have not dropped your Taco’s spare tire yet, I suggest you do so at your earliest opportunity. Better to practice in your driveway than have to do it for real off road in the middle of the night. It took me over a year to get around to dropping my spare. I thought, how hard could it be, so I did not bother until today. It isn’t hard, just a tad tricky. For a complete blow by blow on dropping your spare, search for – “How to video: Change a tire on the Tacoma”.
Only thing that I would add to that excellent video, is get yourself a 6” Mag light or some other light with a small diameter. Pack it with your jack handle. I was not connecting with the curly end of the jack handle. I had to use my 6 inch Mag lite to line up the end of the jack handle with the socket type piece on the spare tire assembly. You need a flash light with a small diameter so that you can see past the flash light to the socket like piece that you have to connect up with. Once you do that, it’s a piece of cake.
HTH Mark
Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
tacomarandy is on a distinguished road
tacomarandy's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, I'll just read the manual if it happens--in the middle of the night --out in the middle of nowhere.

Actually, I bought a 4 runner last year and dropped the spare the day after I bought it.

I still haven't done it with my Tacoma and I've had it for 2 months now. your post just remined me. I'll do it in a couople of days.

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
ndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shedndcmack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: NICK
ndcmack's Tacoma Gallery
Spares worthless if you're running oversized. Drop it and leave it off. Anyone figured out if a 33" will fit under there?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post
Spares worthless if you're running oversized. Drop it and leave it off. Anyone figured out if a 33" will fit under there?
You have to grind off the little wings that are closer to the cab and shove it under.

Matt
Old 04-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
There's a mod write-up here that makes it a bit easier with the use a a section of pvc pipe to help guide the removal tool to the sweet spot. I've had mine off enough now that removal isn't bad anymore... just need to practice like you said.

Edit: heres the write-up...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...ml#post3571643
Old 04-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone who lives in areas where salt and corrosion are facts of life, dropping the spare a couple times per year and spraying a shot or two of lube in the winch will help keep it from seizing up too. Trying to use a spare when you need it can be tough if you can't lower it.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Many times .
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0352
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Any chance on a link to that DIY thread?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
AAA
Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcmack View Post
IMO a spare is still better than nothing at all. it will still get you a few miles at a low speed if need be, even if there is a size difference
Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i did one day. and flipped it i think. I need to do it agin thought and clean the mud and maybe some salt out.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
first off, why do you have your spare under you bed if you are offroading. Tsk. tsk.

Would hate to have a flat spare when you need a full one.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Just have full-size lift-out spares
But in all seriousness, I don't know if my old spare would have dropped if I needed it. Its a good thing to check when its not muddy/raining/dark.
Just like I had chains that didn't fit when I needed them.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
first off, why do you have your spare under you bed if you are offroading. Tsk. tsk.

Would hate to have a flat spare when you need a full one.
I should have thrown it in the bed. But I can’t keep it in the bed, i use the bed way to much to keep it in there.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #16
Three Tacomas Deep
ScudRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Erik
ScudRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Great advice. I dropped mine this weekend while searching for the cause of my TPMS light.

I spent a few minutes cussing until I found a flashlight. After that, I figured out what the hell the manual was talking about and the tire came down with no problem. Kind of neat, actually.

Incidentally: for those of you with after market rims and 265/70 or 265/75/16 tires, will the stock spare (same size tire) work in a pinch, even though the offset and back spacing don't agree with your new rims?
Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #17
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScudRunner View Post
Great advice. I dropped mine this weekend while searching for the cause of my TPMS light.

I spent a few minutes cussing until I found a flashlight. After that, I figured out what the hell the manual was talking about and the tire came down with no problem. Kind of neat, actually.

Incidentally: for those of you with after market rims and 265/70 or 265/75/16 tires, will the stock spare (same size tire) work in a pinch, even though the offset and back spacing don't agree with your new rims?
^ Stock size tires are 265/65/17 and 265/70/16, but one size bigger 265/75/16 (32") tire still fits under the truck.

I have 4.5bs aftermarket rims with 265/75/16 AT tires mounted, and I also have a 16" OEM steelie with 265/75/16 AT tire as a spare to complete the set. Different offset, same size. Was told it will be fine so thats what I bought. Didn't have to use the spare from that set of (summer) tires yet.

First time I had to drop the spare on the Taco, it was -15F outside. Took a while.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #18
aka Alley Opp,
undermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really niceundermoneyed is just really nice

undermoneyed's Tacoma Gallery
Offroadtoy, Mandy has a great idea with the PVC pipe. I'll be installing one next week along with giving the elevator a shot of lube. Phil, I find that using engine oil seems to do a good job.
SeattleCoug, go to the menu and under "Search", type in “How to video: Change a tire on the Tacoma”.
It about the 3rd post down the list.
Mark
Old 04-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
The only time I drop it is when the TPMS light comes on telling me the spare is low (can only be that since I check the others once a week).
Old 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #20
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by undermoneyed View Post
Stuff that is going to be totally off topic when Eric makes his comment.
Mark
Labatt's Blue Light Lime. LOVE that.