1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 VSC/TRAC/AUTO-LSD snow test

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Demoncleaner, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Feb 16, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Have an 2005 6spd, got to drive my buddy's 09' auto on ice base, hardpack snow roads to test all the new systems.

First the Auto tranny is smooth and fast (but no way I'd trade my 6spd:)). Backup camera neat, was hard to see the screen though. MP3 friendly. Good to see Timberland green back.

-2wd, default TRAC & VSC. No shinagins, keeps you in line. Buzzer, brakes, motor cuts, and caution light goes off constantly driving hard. It works.

-2wd, 1 push of VSC button. TRAC off, AUTO-LSD on, VSC on. Similar to above, but more traction, truck starts to fishtail easier, VSC cuts in to keep you in control.

-2wd, hold VSC 5 sec. AUTO-LSD on, VSC off. Hey its like my old TRD Sport, fishtailing fun, though extended hard driving, the brakes are working hard to keep the LSD going.

-4hi, Unlike the Tundra, VSC is still on, safe for control in the snow, but playing in the fields, the VSC cuts in, can it be shutoff? VSC button didn't stop it.

Overall nice truck, definately safer and really helps you stay within limits of the stock Dunlops. Much easier to control on snow than an 05-08 on the same tires. Of course, getting back into my 6spd on snow tires, obviously much more traction and realize how much fun and involving it is.

2. Feb 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    09 tacoma trd

09 tacoma trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    ontario, canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 black tacoma dbl cab trd sport
    yes the VCF can be shut off in 4 hi. hold the button for a couple sec while in 4 hi in park. works for me

3. Feb 17, 2009 at 4:50 AM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    Great write up. I did read the manual, it was confusing, but was able to understand. But the above posts are nice little cheat sheets. THANKS

Getting some snow Wednesday so will try it out.

4. Feb 17, 2009 at 5:49 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Ah, guess I got impatient holding the button. Thanks for clarifying. Think I had to be stopped and hold button a full 5 sec for the third 2wd VSC setting to finally turn on too.

5. Oct 10, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.

I just did a couple hours of "testing" the VSC/TRAC system on my '09 4X4.

2WD Everything on - Works really well, cuts throttle heavily at low speeds, but definatly allows some wheelspin. Seems to transfer power, but also limits it heavily at low speeds. At higher speeds, still allows a little bit of wheelspin. Example: driving along a snow covered road, a little extra throttle may not spin the wheels much, but enough for the Stability control to cut in. For many drivers, my wife included, this would save them a quick trip to the ditch or worse. It would also come in very handy on those unexpected sections of "black ice". Taking slower turns, nothing short of deliberatly pitching the truck, and not correcting, would cause any major slides.

2H AUTO LSD - I push of the VSC button, and now I can spin the tires, no throttle restriction until 2nd gear, (when TRAC automatically re-activates). Good if you need to spin your way out of some muck. Also allows sliding the ass end to do a tight U-turn. VSC seems to be fully active above 10 mph or so. Not quite as "tight" as the friction based LSD on my Dakota, but more effective in a split / MU situation. (NO traction on 1 wheel).

2H VSC OFF - Toyota Tech manual states that in this mode, VSC will still activate under braking, or if "Yaw rate is large". Meaning it is always lurking, even when turned off. I didn't notice any Traction function. Not sure what the OP experienced, because this shuts everything off, except the lurking VSC function.

4H Everything on - Full throttle starts get excellent grip. No apparent throttle intervention. VSC fully functional. This is the obvious choice for slippery conditions. Almost feels like it cuts throttle, but Toyota tach manual says no throttle intervention. Probably just transfering power, and finding grip, so the slight loss of RPM feels like throttle being cut.

4H VSC OFF - Allows small slides, seems to accelerate slower, no LSD effect. Only use I can think of for this mode is maybe in the mud, or for fooling around.

Bottom line: This truck has tires that are crappy in the snow. Without these systems, the stuff I tried today would surely have spun me out, and or put me in the ditch. A small amount of opposite lock steering was required to fully straighten the skids, but no second correction was required. This is where many skid rookies lose it, not on the first slide, but on the snap back. I never wanted my wife driving a pickup where we live, 5 months of slippery driving....After trying this stuff out, we have ordered her a Tacoma, with BFG A/T's. Amazing Technology, will surely save lives and lots of accidents. Not to mention the functional benefits of the transferring of torque. My opinion is anyone who bashes these systems, just doesn't know how to correctly use them.

TACOMA VSC.jpg

6. Oct 12, 2009 at 5:59 PM
    SmootDog

SmootDog Active Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2009 D-Cab TRD Sport 4x4

GREAT INFORMATION> I guess I am too lazy to consult the manual.

7. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    cant wait for the snow now!

8. Oct 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM
    fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Off Road 4X4
    Stock
    The ALSD should not be operating in this mode.

9. Oct 12, 2009 at 10:17 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Wish I had the Auto LSD/Trac/VSC when I had my accident on the bridge. :(

10. Oct 13, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Nice write-ups.
    Thanks
    :cheers:

11. Oct 13, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    good job guys. I was impressed last feb when i picked mine up and found it very hard to have "fun" with it. Thanks to TW tho, now i can have even more fun

12. Oct 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I had recently posted a thread on the use of the VSC button in the Technical Chat Area...now I'm more confused after reading this thread. Did things change regarding the way this switch operates between the 2007 and newer models? Because the manuel is so confusing regarding the operation of this switch, I did some prior research and this is what I came up with for my 07. Is this correct??

VSC operation:

Normal Operation (2wd)... vsc on, trac on, autolsd off
    Push Once (under 62mph)... vsc on, trac off, autolsd on
    Push & Hold (with vehicle stopped)... vsc off, trac off, autolsd off
    Push Again (to return to normal)... vsc on, trac on, autolsd off

13. Oct 13, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I can't wait to try mine out in the snow for the first time.

14. Oct 14, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    I dont have the VSC button on my regular cab 4x4. I have the lsd and when parked in 2hi i can turn the lsd on and turn the TRAC off. If i hold the button both are off. However when in 4hi i cant get the auto lsd light on but can turn TRAC off. My question is the rear diff open with no ALSD intervention in 4hi or 4lo on a non-TRD truck?

15. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    The button with the skid marks is the VSC button. In 4 Hi you have TRAC which is essentially Auto-Lsd front and rear, (no throttle intervention). In 4L the truck has nothing, open diffs front and rear. If you get stuck in 4L, you can put in 4 H, rev the snot out of it, and dump the clutch, it's a really stupid set-up. Why Lsd in hi and nothing in Low?.....Or you can snip a wire behind the glove box, and this activates TRAC in 4L, but that's another story....

16. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Is this real?

17. Oct 14, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    I appreciate the info. this is crap i bought the base because i thought things would be simple. ugh damn tecnology crap. i still think ARB locker at least in the rear would make me feel way better.

18. Oct 15, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    But it probably wouldn't go as far off road as the 4L TRAC mod would, and the mod is free...

19. Dec 6, 2009 at 3:35 PM
    NAYo2002

NAYo2002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great Falls, MT
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Michelin LTX A/T2, TRD Skid Plate, WeatherTech DigiFit Liners, OEM Bed Extender, OEM Bed mat, Advantage TorzaTop Trifold Tonneau, Pop & Lock PL5300
    We got snowed pretty heavily up here in Montana last night. So I decided do some research last night and took it off-roading out in the snow this morning. I have the 4x4 TRD OR. I have to say, once you know how all the features work, the truck is so much more capable. Here’s the gist of what I’ve found out:

ATRAC: basically Auto LSD for all 4 wheels (Auto LSD is only available on 2wd mode.) It only works in 4Lo. You can turn it off but I don’t see any real reason unless you want the open differential feel in 4Lo.

TRAC: less aggressive ATRAC that helps you get traction. It works on both 4Hi and 2wd modes. However, because it is always on by default, it’s tuned for high speeds and won’t work as well when you are stuck.

VSC is just for keeping you on the road by helping you avoid a skid and doesn’t do much with getting you unstuck. However, turning it off may help you get out of a jam in certain situations. I found a neat video here: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/206114/689691

All this can get very confusing and it took me forever to finally understand the purpose of each. For a situation when you are stuck, think of it as different levels of control for getting you out of a slippery surface.

Level 1: 2wd default mode (VSC and TRAC on)
    -normal driving mode and won’t do you much good if you are stuck
    Level 2: press VSC button. TRAC off, VSC and Auto LSD on
    -Auto LSD as I’ve said above is just more aggressive TRAC. By this I just mean it breaks more heavily on the slipping wheel. It’s meant only to get you out of being stuck, it will turn off as you increase speed by design.
    Level 3: switch to 4Hi. VSC/TRAC on, Auto LSD automatically goes off
    -Should be good for most situations. Even the limited intervention of TRAC is pretty good since it’s now working on all 4 wheels instead of just 2.
    Level 4: switch to 4Lo. VSC/TRAC/Auto LSD off. ATRAC on (push button if necessary)
    -In my experience this setting will get you out of most situations. As stated previously, I personally don’t see the point in turning ATRAC off especially when you are stuck.
    Level 5: lock your rear differentials. VSC/TRAC/Auto LSD Off, ATRAC on.
    -This will get you out if you are stuck severely. I had to use it today once, but I was trying really hard to get my truck stuck in a pile of snow.
    -The benefit of locking is that you are in absolute control of how much power the rear wheels are getting. ATRAC doesn’t mess with the total power either, but it still works by using breaks to distribute torque between wheels and you will not be fully in control.

Some of you may think I skipped some levels. Especially between Level 3 and 4, you could indeed turn off VSC completely. However, if you are in a situation where VSC is messing with your ability to get unstuck, you might as well switch to 4Lo. Switching to 4Lo will turn everything off except for ATRAC (if switch is pressed) anyway. Just my take, let me know what you think.

20. Dec 9, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    yahtzee

yahtzee Member

Member:
    Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 D-cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Sweet! Thanks for the info!

Products Discussed in

To Top