Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Running boards/Nerf bars for '13 Tacoma Prerunner Double cab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
dinki is on a distinguished road
dinki's Tacoma Gallery
Running boards/Nerf bars for '13 Tacoma Prerunner Double cab

Hey guys, just bought a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner I4 Double Cab over the weekend. I love the truck with one exception: too high for my shortness plus I have cerebral palsy so getting in the truck is a bit awkward but I can do it. I also have two young daughters (4 & 7) who would also benefit from the step as well as an equally short wife

I know nothing about running boards/nerf bars or whatever those bars are that act as a step. I'd like to add them to my truck as DIY project. Is this an easy project? I'm assuming that bolt holes already exist in the frame for adding these?

Also, I'm very frugal. I kind of looked around on Amazon and saw a good many of them were under $200 and that's the price point I'd like to stay under including shipping. Can you guys provide any links to anything similar? I'd like the price to be low but I definitely want something that will last a while too. I'd prefer black to match the trim.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 AM   #2
drewc2010 is on a distinguished road
drewc2010's Tacoma Gallery
I got the black Westin step bars from Amazon for about $175. I love them, they look great on the truck and work perfectly for helping my girlfriend get into the truck...

Here is the link: Amazon

Heres them on the truck:
Old 04-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
dinki's Tacoma Gallery
That's exactly what I'm looking for and at the right price. Can you tell me about the install process and about how long it took?

*EDIT* I took a look at the Amazon product and only one bar shows up in the pictures? Did you get a pair for that price or is that per bar?
*EDIT2* I see that they list vehicle types as '4 door extended cab pick up', and '4 door crew cab pick up' I'm guessing I have the '4 door extended cab pick up'? The truck was listed as a 'double cab'.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
GTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTOJim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
GTOJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
That's exactly what I'm looking for and at the right price. Can you tell me about the install process and about how long it took?

*EDIT* I took a look at the Amazon product and only one bar shows up in the pictures? Did you get a pair for that price or is that per bar?
*EDIT2* I see that they list vehicle types as '4 door extended cab pick up', and '4 door crew cab pick up' I'm guessing I have the '4 door extended cab pick up'? The truck was listed as a 'double cab'.

I would guess extended cab would mean access cab, crew cab would be double cab.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
dinki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOJim View Post
I would guess extended cab would mean access cab, crew cab would be double cab.
I'm planning on getting this through amazon so I'd really like to get the right one so I don't have to hassle with shipping it back if it is the wrong bars. Is there a way to know for sure? I'm guessing one set of bars is longer than the others or something? Crew cab has handles on the outside of the rear door (like the front doors) and extended cab have back door handles on the interior portion of the door (can only be open if the front door is open)?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=dinki;6717027]I'm planning on getting this through amazon so I'd really like to get the right one so I don't have to hassle with shipping it back if it is the wrong bars. Is there a way to know for sure? I'm guessing one set of bars is longer than the others or something? Crew cab has handles on the outside of the rear door (like the front doors) and extended cab have back door handles on the interior portion of the door (can only be open if the front door is open)?[/QUOTE]

you are right.

Installing them are easy. There are 6 plugs located under the truck below the door jam. take the plastic plugs out and install the new running boards with the supplied hardware. It may take abother person depending on how well you can balance out the board and intall the bolts. It's better to have two people but it can be done by yourself. I got some DeeZee bars from a guy off craigslist. They are not bad but I'd rather have something like the westin with the three suport hangers instead of the two.

Overall they will help but it makes for an ackward getting in the truck experience. Meaning, when I use mine, I have to duck down to get into the cab. You have a double cab (crew cab) order those.

Hope this helps and congratz on the new truck,

Nate
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #7
dinki's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Nathan, I'm ordering them today!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote: