Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tow Package and other questions

Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
birry is on a distinguished road
Name: Billy
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Tow Package and other questions

Still looking for the perfect Tacoma....and I have some more questions.

What's the best way to tell if it has the tow package? Is there any way to tell based on photos of the exterior, or is it only something you could see by getting under the truck?

To be honest, it isn't something I'm really concerned with in my search. I'm just curious. I probably won't be hauling a lot, and if I ever do enough to consistently need more, I imagine I'd just get a bigger truck. Still, I'd like to know what it means if it says "tow package" on an item description.

I've finally narrowed my search to:

2007+
Double Cab
4x4
TRD
Silver Streak Mica/Super White/Speedway Blue (in that order of preference)
Less than 100k miles
Less than $20k

I've seen about 3 that met my exact specs, but didn't have the cash on-hand to buy them on the spot. Now I do, and the search is intense.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
TexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexAggie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
You can see the tranny radiator through the grill if you look for it.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
Over here in my area, all TRD's come with the tow package. Quick way to tell is the hitch receiver under the rear bumper.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Main benefits of the tow package are oil and transmission coolers along with a heavy duty alternator (130A).

Technically I guess there's a hitch there too if you actually want to pull something. I just wanted a more durable truck.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
nat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shednat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nat's Tacoma Gallery
You can't tow without a hitch receiver.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Main benefits of the tow package are oil and transmission coolers along with a heavy duty alternator (130A).

Technically I guess there's a hitch there too if you actually want to pull something. I just wanted a more durable truck.
I'd love to find one with the tow package, but I don't think its a deal breaker at this point. I don't haul enough to worry about it. Its a bonus if I find one used that already has it.

I appreciate the help.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
If you are going to buy a new one get the package you can usually deal it down to no charge you do get a lot of neat stuff with the package.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
OldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud ofOldGeezer42 has much to be proud of

Army: Desert Storm Vet.
Name: Adam
OldGeezer42's Tacoma Gallery
My '07 didn't come with tow package, I bought a used hitch,wiring harness, and oil cooler,not hard to install. The larger alt. would be nice,but it used for the aux.power in bed and used for electric brakes, I pull a 14' flatbed trailer with a 4 wheeler and a Rhino,and never had any problems,use no tow package as a leverage on your purchase,I purchased my '07 in Jan. for 16k,with 60k miles on it, it was a base, but I added options ,I wanted later.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #9
edm3rd will become famous soon enoughedm3rd will become famous soon enough
Name: Duke
edm3rd's Tacoma Gallery
Tow Package

Tow package also gets you a larger battery (27F instead of 24), and wiring is in place for brake controller including pigtail connector. There is also a 7-pin connection on the receiver.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
birry's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know anything about this listing? Its been on cargurus for nearly a year. It looks like a good deal, but there's gotta be something wrong with that........right?

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=37584162
Old 04-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #11
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAggie View Post
You can see the tranny radiator through the grill if you look for it.
only on autos, manuals only only have the oil cooler, of the 2 coolers.