Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Differential

Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #21
JB64 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
JB64's Tacoma Gallery
I changed my rear differential oil today, I ended up using Mobil 1 75w90. I drained a little under 3 quarts and put in about 3.5 quarts before it started flowing back out of the fill hole. The manual states that the capacity is 3.1 quarts so I hope I didn't over fill. The oil I drained looked really clean for 60K miles but I did notice a few small pieces of metal on the drain plug magnet, hope nothing funny is going on in there.

Just like engine oil changes the rear differential oil change was easy on the Tacoma. The step by step instructions with pictures you guys have posted have been a great help. I also changed my plugs a couple of weeks ago. This forum and it's great members has given me the confidence to do these maintenance tasks and has saved me a decent amount of money. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #22
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB64 View Post
I changed my rear differential oil today, I ended up using Mobil 1 75w90. I drained a little under 3 quarts and put in about 3.5 quarts before it started flowing back out of the fill hole. The manual states that the capacity is 3.1 quarts so I hope I didn't over fill. The oil I drained looked really clean for 60K miles but I did notice a few small pieces of metal on the drain plug magnet, hope nothing funny is going on in there.

Just like engine oil changes the rear differential oil change was easy on the Tacoma. The step by step instructions with pictures you guys have posted have been a great help. I also changed my plugs a couple of weeks ago. This forum and it's great members has given me the confidence to do these maintenance tasks and has saved me a decent amount of money. Thanks again guys.
A few shavings in the diff isn't bad considering your mileage. Thank god for the magnet right. That's the whole purpose.
I'm sure it smelled great too!

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I just use regular 80w90 is my diffs and tcase. I don't see the need for synthetic. And I wheel a lot. Change it regularly and you're good. Yay
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #24
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
30K for those that tow GL-5. in whatever brand of oil you like.